Options
13»

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    elly1979 wrote: »
    I have two questions related to my lifting routine, which is this one here:
    http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/

Briefly, it's compound, 3 lifts a workout, rep pattern of 3x8-10

My first issue is deadlifts. Im getting to the point of 8-10 reps being too much for that move, and injury as I scale up on weight concerns me. Any suggestions, such as bringing down the volume just on this move, maybe to 5?

Second issue/question is, is there any issue with me changing the sequence from:

deadlift, pull ups, OHP
    To
    deadlifts, OHP, pull ups?

(Reversing last two). Reason is because I dont want to give up my rack at the gym :) deadlifts and ohp are in my rack but I use a pull up assistance machine.

Thanks!

1) What's your goal? It's probably fine to scale back volume but I'm curious what your goal is and additionally if you're concerned about injury consider posting a video so we can check your technique.

2) I don't see any major issue in swapping the order of those two around. I am curious though, is there a reason you are deadlifting in a rack instead of outside of the rack?
  • elly1979
    elly1979 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks, sidesteel

1. Goal: overall conditioning and health. Progressive improvements in strength. (Vague, I know). I had read some internet mischief that high reps on deadlift can increase chance of injury. I still feel ok at 8-10 reps but that may be too taxing at some point. I'm only at 90 lbs right now.

2. Perhaps I should clarify. I go to the hammerstrength area and set up the deadlift outside of it. So I'm not inside the rack, but using the rack's barbell, weights, etc. any barbell floor work at my gym is done located by these racks (e.g. Outside of them/right in front). So if I leave the area, someone else may come in and take up that hammerstrength, which I need for OHP (i also rack my ohp on the hammerstrength, on the "outside" about shoulder width.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    If you are concerned about high reps at higher weight, could you not swap the 3 sets of 8-10 to a 10, 7, 5 or similar? Then you can up weight each set
  • elly1979
    elly1979 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I like that idea jo_marnes, thank you. :)
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

The two strategies you could use (I've used both when coaching and it depends on the individual) would be as follows:

1) Reduce intake by about 10% or so and see what happens in 1 to 2 weeks.
    2) Break out the food scale, prepare ALL of your own food in the next week (no restaurant food at all, minimal pre-packaged food), and log like it's your damn job. Be as OCD as you can but just for 1 week, at the same goal intake you have now.

I suspect that either one of these will bring results.

20 days later, checking in. I took your advice - I shot for 10% and log like it's my job. In 3 weeks, I'm down 4.2lbs. :smiley: My weekly mileage has increased from about 8 to around 13 and I'm still lifting 2x/week. I hit my 2nd scale goal last week with my next one only 10lbs away. I meet with my trainer today and the topic of discussion is managing weight loss goals with strength goals with half marathon training goals. I'm starting to feel like there are too many balls in the air... I really like the guy and I've seen great results in my strength and mobility, but the other two topics may not be exactly in his wheelhouse. I'm interested to hear what he thinks.

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Congrats!