Watermelon Addiction

Options
Watermelon...I loves it.
I could eat a whole one all by myself, lol (ok...maybe not a WHOLE one ;) )
Whats a good replacement when eating low carb?

Replies

• LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I love watermelon too, its definitely a fruit i miss! To keep my blood sugar under control, I usually have strawberries, blackberries, raspberries or blueberries with some extra thick double cream if I choose to indulge in something sweet. They're all relatively low in sugar and high in fiber for fruit, so they have the lowest net carb impact.

Though most of the time now I just have a nibble of some 90% cocoa chocolate and a cup of tea to satisfy my sweet tooth, it does the trick with no increased cravings. Fruit sometimes makes me a bit mental lol, I start craving it on a regular basis.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    You could flavor sf gelatin with watermelon Mio.

>:) or o:)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    How low carb are you going? A serving of watermelon isn't terribly high in carbs.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/2072/2
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    Me too! I just stick to berries now. I also love peaches and I did have one earlier this week...just a little one :) and it was worth it!
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Blueberries and whipped cream. I try to have half a serving of the berries, but sometimes I have a whole 100g. They are in season and delicious right now.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Discussion about watermelon addiction in the summer in the keto group:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10421922/why-is-it-so-hard-to-be-keto-low-carb-in-the-summer-heat-help#latest

Excerpt.

I'm telling you, find you some good watermelon extract and make some fat bombs or watermelon sparkling water or watermelon ice cream or watermelon jello or watermelon popsicles or something. It can so be done!!! Reinvent it...

[...]

The best part of what going low carb has taught me is in two parts. One, challenge everything you think you know!!! It's crazy how much misinformation is out there. Two, think outside the box. Breakfast doesn't only mean eggs - and making things in unconventional ways (like making a watermelon frozen ice with coconut oil or something in it sounds so fabulous right now, I'm half tempted to go buy some extracts on amazon to MAKE THIS HAPPEN IN MY LIFE RIGHT NOW...lol). Get out of your rut. Nothing is off limits. Some things need to be limited, but it's all about choice. Get creative, research, try something new. Try something else. Keep going, because life is an adventure, no matter what! (hugs)
  • dragonflylady94
    dragonflylady94 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas!!!!!!
    So far fruit is the one thing I miss most....lol.
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I love watermelon too! I COULD eat a whole one and used to do it many times in Summer, instead of a proper meal.

Watermelon is mostly water (and sugar!) so the problem is portion control. Especially in hot weather it is very difficult to eat a sensible portion. I can't have it at home but I go regularly to a Japanese restaurant that has watermelon in their dessert buffet. I have 2 or 3 very dainty slices, maybe two bites each. For my mind it's better to know that I can and do eat it occasionally but I'm very far from having enough self control to have it at home.

When I crave the cool crisp of fruit I eat endives. It works, sort of.

Fruit. ::sigh::

::flowerforyou::