yoga

Options
Sabine_Stroehm
Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
edited April 2016 in Social Groups
I've now been doing yoga "regularly" (3 or more times a week) for about 6 months.
I switched from weight lifting after 20 years to yoga, and kept doing Pilates 2-3 times a week.

I firmly believe the addition of yoga has made all the difference in the world for my menopause symptoms.

I'm trying to eat a whole food, mostly plant based diet that limits refined carbohydrates (I've been doing this for 14 years).
I'm trying to eat plenty of fish and nuts and seeds still.
I'm limiting wine now.
And I'm doing yoga and Pilates (and getting 10k+ steps a day from walking and running).

As of right now, I'm using no supplements other than magnesium and melatonin.

As of right now, and for the last few months, I've felt better than I had in several years.

If you google it, yoga and menopause come up over and over again.
http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-18627/7-ways-yoga-can-help-women-through-menopause.html

Replies

• slimstrauss
    slimstrauss Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    53 and yoga student of 25 years, so far my menopause has been minor compared to what lots of you have been going through!! There is a lot of good karma in that.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    53 and yoga student of 25 years, so far my menopause has been minor compared to what lots of you have been going through!! There is a lot of good karma in that.

Fabulous.
    I did yoga in my 20s, then veered off to weight lifting.
    In reality, I think yoga is a more functional fitness.

Cheers on your mellowpause!
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to try yoga in a few weeks. I just had a TAH and the doctor said I am only allowed to walk for the next 6 weeks. After that I might be able to do other activities. However, I still won't be able to do the heavy weightlifting that I did before so a friend of mine at work suggested that I give yoga a try.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    I think I'm going to try yoga in a few weeks. I just had a TAH and the doctor said I am only allowed to walk for the next 6 weeks. After that I might be able to do other activities. However, I still won't be able to do the heavy weightlifting that I did before so a friend of mine at work suggested that I give yoga a try.
    Start slowly! Yoga can be intense. Tell the teacher about your TAH. Maybe start with a restorative class. And good luck.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hey thanks, Sabine. Before coming home from the hospital today I asked about doing some of the easier yoga Stretches. But the Doc said not for at least 6 weeks because of the internal sutures. I don't know if you've seen the 2 Yoga workouts by Jillian Michaels? I have them here and plan to start there as soon as I can.
    Let us know how you like Yoga. I'd be interested in your thoughts on it since you also came from weightlifting like me. :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    Hey thanks, Sabine. Before coming home from the hospital today I asked about doing some of the easier yoga Stretches. But the Doc said not for at least 6 weeks because of the internal sutures. I don't know if you've seen the 2 Yoga workouts by Jillian Michaels? I have them here and plan to start there as soon as I can.
    Let us know how you like Yoga. I'd be interested in your thoughts on it since you also came from weightlifting like me. :)

So far I'm really liking it. I've been aiming for three days a week for the last 6 months. I really don't miss weight lifting!
  • jam080866
    jam080866 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree that yoga makes a big difference with my menopause symptoms. I have been doing TRX/spinning/running but since I started yoga my symptoms have gotten better. I am only doing it weekly but am going to try to add a class or 2 weekly.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I don't discount any movement, but it's not going to build muscle mass like weightlifting does, or reduce fat like cardio does. Bodyweight exercises are great for osteoporosis though.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I don't discount any movement, but it's not going to build muscle mass like weightlifting does, or reduce fat like cardio does. Bodyweight exercises are great for osteoporosis though.

Having lifted the last 20 years, I have to say, switching to yoga NOW was the best decision. In fact, I wish I'd switched a few years back.
    I do cardio as well, of course. But yeah, if I never lift another barbell I won't mind.
    I'm stronger, and more flexible than I've been in years. And it feels like a much more FUNCTIONAL fitness.
  • NicoleBurgoz
    NicoleBurgoz Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You just motivated me to start again!
    <3
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Maybe stupid question but am I going to get the full benefits of yoga if I can't use hands/wrists? I see some poses needing that. Body weight on hands (can't pose in push up stance for instance, flatten hands out). Lower body not an issue (sort of).
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I read this all the time about Yoga, I know I really should do it but I can't get into it. A friend told me that I just need to keep going until I can relax into it. Thanks for the reminder about the Melatonin too, I have a script for it and keep forgetting to have it filled.
    Menopause sux.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I read this all the time about Yoga, I know I really should do it but I can't get into it. A friend told me that I just need to keep going until I can relax into it. Thanks for the reminder about the Melatonin too, I have a script for it and keep forgetting to have it filled.
    Menopause sux.
    For me it helped to try a few different teachers until one "fit". Now, as long as I can go to her class "enough", I don't mind other teachers so much.
  • Qskim
    Options
    So, I guess not? lol
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I've been in love with yoga for years. The things I've been doing differently that seem to help me with my post hysterectomy blues are keeping my vitamin D levels at the high end of normal, and eating a low carb diet with plenty of vegetables and protein.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    _SKIM_ wrote: »
    Maybe stupid question but am I going to get the full benefits of yoga if I can't use hands/wrists? I see some poses needing that. Body weight on hands (can't pose in push up stance for instance, flatten hands out). Lower body not an issue (sort of).

Yes, there are adjustments for hand and wrist problems. For example, if you can't do a down dog on your hands, you can use a chair or a wall to take the weight off your wrists and hands, or do a dolphin pose on your forearms, for example, like this: http://www.yogajournal.com/pose/dolphin-pose/

There is an adjustment for any problem that you could have.
  • Qskim
    Options
    Thanks lithezebra :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    I've been in love with yoga for years. The things I've been doing differently that seem to help me with my post hysterectomy blues are keeping my vitamin D levels at the high end of normal, and eating a low carb diet with plenty of vegetables and protein.

This is really interesting. How did you find that keeping your D up high helped? My D stays lowish, unless I pump in lots of it. I live in a SUNNY place and spend 1-3 hours outside every day, and still it's lowish.
  • lithezebra
    Options

This is really interesting. How did you find that keeping your D up high helped? My D stays lowish, unless I pump in lots of it. I live in a SUNNY place and spend 1-3 hours outside every day, and still it's lowish.

I'm much more energetic since I started taking D supplements, on the advice of my health care provider. I think my brain functions better with more D. I have a family history of melanoma, so going outside without sun protection isn't a good idea for me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I'm much more energetic since I started taking D supplements, on the advice of my health care provider. I think my brain functions better with more D. I have a family history of melanoma, so going outside without sun protection isn't a good idea for me.

I've read this before. I sure hope it works well for you.
    To be clear, I wear sunscreen, definitely.