What do you bring to work for lunch that is easy to make

Options
goldenfrisbee
goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
I have the luxury of being able to go home for lunch since I only work 1/4 mile from my house, but used be farther away and one of the easiest things to bring was a taco chili thing I found on- line. You basically dumped a bunch of cans in a pot with some ground meat. Here is what has become a favorite for me:

1 lb ground turkey
1 large can diced petite tomatoes
2 small cans Rotel original tomatoes
1 can sweet corn
2 cans black beans
1 package taco seasoning
1 package ranch dressing

Basically I just brown the meat, drain the fat and then dump in the ingredients. It makes about 5 meals, is filling and is great reheated. Not sure if the seasoning packages are healthy or not, but I'm pretty sure the rest of the ingredients are.

Replies

• goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    So I just added up the calories from all the ingredients and it came to 1126 and gives you 5 generous bowls of chili. Not bad for something that filling
  • hoss8640
    hoss8640 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I bring lunch meat and soft taco shells and make a sort of wrap out of it. Sometimes I bring lettuce and maybe some dressing as well.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I made middle eastern kafta this week which is a fun take on meatballs.
    1lb lean ground beef
    1/2 onion diced
    1/2 cup parsley
    2 cloves garlic chopped
    4T cumin
    Black pepper and salt to taste

I rolled them into meatballs and slow cooked them in low sodium tomato sauce and put them on top of roasted spaghetti squash. Yum!
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Some good eats! However, I am a simpleton. I often portion out deli meat (turkey, roast beef, FF ham (one of my exceptions to not eating FF stuff), etc., throw in a cheese stick or two, add cucumbers, peppers, any other veggie or fruit in season, maybe some cashews and call it a day. It's like a smorgasbord compared to my early years working in the field when I would just take a couple protein bars!
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    I don't work but my go to lunch lately would be easy to take. Chicken salad - leftover grilled chicken with celery, red onion, and light miracle whip. U eat it on low fat triscuits, 1 point bread, or lettuce. Sometimes sub tuna, for even less points.

Another fav for lunch, snacks, or appetizers is turkey roll. Dietz and Watson smokey turkey, red pepper strip, green onion 1/4ed the long way, and ff mayo flavored with soy sauce, lime juice, garlic, and lots of cilantro. Roll. Cut each 'cigar' into 3 bite size pieces.

Pineapple and cottage cheese

Leftovers from dinner.
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,998 Member
    Options
    I don't take a lunch, but when I did it was based on the Henry Ford model.
    1. Sunday afternoon; buy 1.25 pounds of sliced turkey and 0.5 pounds of sliced provolone.
    2. Line up two row Country Kitchen light wheat, five slices per row.
    3. Pull out five sandwich bags; "fluff" them open.
    4. Spread each slice with light mayo.
    5. Put .25 pounds on each slice in the lower row.
    6. Put cheese on meat.
    7. Cover with corresponding slice from the top row.
    8. Slice each sandwich in half vertically.
    9. Choose a sandwich bag.
    10. Insert one sandwich; repeat.
    11. Stack all bagged sandwiches in refrigerator.
    12. Monday, pull out one sandwich . . .

I didn't want to take the time to make a meal in the morning, and variety was clearly not that important to me. The moral is that anything is easy to bring, though, if you can reduce it to "grab and go" status.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    I usually take left-overs from dinner as much lunch. I find it really easy to throw some leftovers into a Tupperware container immediately after dinner and have it for lunch the next day.
  • 60in2017
    60in2017 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Leftovers.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,105 Member
    Options
    Easy? a slice of (leftover) chicken breast and some bread plus a piece of fruit. Got more time? Add more. Takes me maybe 30 sec to throw it into a bag and go.
  • MurpleCat
    MurpleCat Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I cook on the weekend and divide it into portions before refrigerating (or sometimes, freezing). For cold lunch, I buy bagged lettuce, julienned carrots, and cherry tomatoes, so making a salad takes 2 minutes. If I didn't make soup to go with it, I'll add hummus & pita, or cheese & crackers.

Murple
  • bigguy075
    bigguy075 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Although I don't like Chic-fil-a's owners' views, if I need to grab a quick lunch, their Spicy Southwestern Salad is really good and not a calorie bomb.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,142 Member
    Options
    We're both retired, but our norm is a roll-up on Joseph's Garlic and Herb Flat Bread, with 2 slices ham, 2 slices turkey, 1 slice Sargento Ultra Thin cheese, and some lettuce. Add an apple, or orange and GTG.