Bullet Proof Coffee Question

Options
thelowcarblady
thelowcarblady Posts: 137 Member
So someone suggested I try Bullet Proof Coffee today and it got me wondering.....

Basically to like coffee - I usually have to fill it up with a bunch of crap (sugar and like 5 TBSP of flavored creamer) so since doing LCHF I've been either sorta avoiding coffee or trying to drink it black and just ughhh. Even tried some artificial sweetener and HWC and it was just AWFUL.

For me - thinking about BPC seems just so gross because it's basically similar to my failed attempt at my normal coffee on Low Carb but you end up adding - what - like butter and coconut oil to it? Sounds so nasty to me! lol

So I was wondering if any of you actually like Bullet Proof Coffee but disliked coffee typically made that way before you did low carb?

I'm not sure if that question makes sense - it does in my mind lol - but is there maybe a few different recipes of the BPC that I could try that taste more like a traditional *bad* way of fixing coffee? Like - do you add extracts to it or something?

Any help is appreciated!

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    When I started Keto, I used SF syrups in my coffee.

As I adapted, the taste of 'sweet' was no longer appealing to me. I now drink unsweetened coffee with heavy cream, which adds a richness to it that is more appealing to me now.

If you so desire, you can add a sweetener to your BPC.

Also, BPC is not a be all and end all of LCHF. We'll still let you be a part of the club, even if you hate it. ;-)
  • thelowcarblady
    Options

As I adapted, the taste of 'sweet' was no longer appealing to me. I now drink unsweetened coffee with heavy cream, which adds a richness to it that is more appealing to me now.

Also, BPC is not a be all and end all of LCHF. We'll still let you be a part of the club, even if you hate it. ;-)

I should really look into the SF Syrups then - I do miss my coffee! I never usually drank more than a cup but that little bit I did drink I miss terribly!

Hopefully soon when I have been on the LCHF for longer I won't feel the need to add those - like you said. Any suggestions on where to find the *best* SF Syurps - or like a specific brand?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options

I should really look into the SF Syrups then - I do miss my coffee! I never usually drank more than a cup but that little bit I did drink I miss terribly!

Hopefully soon when I have been on the LCHF for longer I won't feel the need to add those - like you said. Any suggestions on where to find the *best* SF Syurps - or like a specific brand?

Da Vinci and Torani sell sugar free syrups. I personally like the brand called Jordan's Skinny Syrups.

https://www.skinnymixes.com/product-category/skinny-mixes/

I find them for sale at my local Winners - which I believe is in the same vein as Marshall's, TJ Maxx, etc.
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Im a little biased because I LOVE BPC haha but the key is BLENDING it up. Do not, I repeat, do not try just drinking it like that, it will feel like an oil slick. I make my BPC like this: 16 oz coffee (reg nothing fancy), 2 tbsp HWC, 1 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp coconut oil and stevia and/or splenda to taste. Whirl it up in my blender! Rivals the lattes from Starbucks lol Ok maybe just in my opinion! Hope you find that you like it, its a real time saver and hunger preventer (? is this a word) for me lol
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I definitely second blending it, you want the frothy goodness, not a puddle of oil on top. I sometimes add spices (pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, nutmeg) or some cocoa with my hwc and sweetener. Makes something very reminiscent of a flavored latte.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    The coffee is just the delivery method for the butter and coconut oil. It can be any hot beverage you want.
    I personally wouldn't even bother with it if you have to use a bunch of artificial sweeteners that do actually still have an insulin reaction. There's no point in trying to do a BPC if you just trigger insulin in the process.
    Some people make it with tea. The butter is optional. Try tea with refined coconut oil if you don't want coconut flavor. If the tea will be ok with a creamy flavor added, then add some butter.
    Remember that butter is just cream... So, not too different than just using HWC. It just has less of the protein casein which can be the source of some digestive sensitivity.
    You MUST blend anything you're adding coconut oil and butter to or you will have oils floating on top. If you blend it, you do not have an oily beverage. It looks like this.
    zdisxb1aeuir.jpeg
    See. Totally not gross, greasy or weird at all. For people that like coffee it's a really good, creamy coffee. Or tea, if you go that route. Some people even make it with bone broth or other broth or cocoa, but that's gonna have sweeteners again.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I make my husband iced coffee with HWC and vanilla crème stevia and he seems to like it as well as he liked the ones I used to make him with flavored creamer. I personally don't really care for sweet coffee so just plain coffee and HWC is good for me.

Give the BPC a try but I kind of have a feeling you won't like it if you didn't like the sweetener and cream combo. Also how do you feel about coconut? I rarely do BPC but when I do I have to use MCT oil because the smell and taste of the coconut oil grosses me out to no end. I just don't like the coconut coffee combo I guess.
  • thelowcarblady
    Options
    I'll just have to give it a real try and see what happens! Thanks everyone!
  • Zenwenner
    Zenwenner Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    That sounds great Phrick! Chai is one of my comfort things, I will have to try this!
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I HATED coffee unless it was laced with sugar and chocolate...thus making it a Mocha, which I love. But coffee? UGGHH! So I tried BPC with lots of heavy whipping cream, lots of sweetener and a tsp each of coconut oil and butter. I enjoyed it. That was back in April. Today my BPC consists of no HWC, about 1/3 the sweetener and 1 Tablespoon each of coconut oil and butter. I LOVE it now. It's my breakfast almost every morning these days. Sometimes I will add a bit of unsweetened baker's chocolate for a Mocha again...yummier!
  • RowdysLady
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    Also how do you feel about coconut? I rarely do BPC but when I do I have to use MCT oil because the smell and taste of the coconut oil grosses me out to no end. I just don't like the coconut coffee combo I guess.

There are lots of coconut oils with no flavor or smell of coconut. I use Crisco brand and have used others as well.
  • RowdysLady
    Options
    I'm not sure I agree with BPC being a waste if we sweeten it because I can drink a cup and be full from 0700 to at least 1400. 2 eggs and bacon can't do that for me. I understand for people with insulin issues that may be another story, but in perspective it is GREAT for cutting down the hunger even with my sweetener in it.
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I personally love it! BUT....the fiist time I tried it after years of creamer and sugar I thought WTF!! This is horrid! WHY would anyone ever want to drink this!!! Lol! But I didn't blend at all. So then I eased away from sugar but I didn't want to substitute artificial sweeteners. I started with HWC and butter and got a little immersion blender. I was amazed how good this buttery coffee was! The past month I stopped the cream and added the coconut butter just knowing I would gag again. Nope! Blending it really changes it up.
    Now I think about my morning cup (or 2) all day long!!! I want it now tbh! Lol!

Really the only benefit is keeping you full till lunch or into the afternoon. I hardly ever eat until after 2pm. Some people say it doesn't curb their appetite at all like real food does.

Either way, it's not really a big deal if you choose to use BPC or not. Whatever works for you. You can just look at coconut milk or nut milks if you don't like HWC and really just want your morning coffee back minus the BP. :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    edited July 2016
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    I'm not sure I agree with BPC being a waste if we sweeten it because I can drink a cup and be full from 0700 to at least 1400. 2 eggs and bacon can't do that for me. I understand for people with insulin issues that may be another story, but in perspective it is GREAT for cutting down the hunger even with my sweetener in it.

I really mean that in regards to adding a lot of it. Sweetening to tolerance, wouldn't generally require much, but if ones taste for sweet coffee is like at the level of Starbucks white chocolate mocha, dessert level sweetness, that would be a lot of sweetener and regardless of insulin issues or not, it does create an insulin response, which typically triggers hunger, and defeats the purpose.
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »

I have T2D and had horrible sugar crashes if I didn't eat every 2-3 hours but with BPC i can go up to 5 hours without feeling hungry or getting those horrible sugar dips. I'm a believer! Lol I try to sell everyone on BPC even non lc/keto lol
  • Jessikittn
    Jessikittn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was lucky enough to never have sweetened my coffee before LCHF. but I WAS addicted to lattes, and for a small latte, that's 12g carb from the milk, so a no-go for keto. it took me a while to transition over to BPC, the first time I had it, it was so SO wrong, so my husband and I took to making lattes with watered down pouring cream, which was perfectly acceptable. I think that helped me move on to BPC as it was more about the mouth feel than anything... now I even use salted butter, as I'm now a giant salt craving machine!
  • suehbca
    suehbca Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I started adding the HWC and butter to some k-cup vanilla coffee but only stir it. I'm afraid to add coconut oil without a blender. I only have a whole food blender or a regular size immersion blender. What is the best thing to use that is easy and fast to clean?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    suehbca wrote: »
    I started adding the HWC and butter to some k-cup vanilla coffee but only stir it. I'm afraid to add coconut oil without a blender. I only have a whole food blender or a regular size immersion blender. What is the best thing to use that is easy and fast to clean?

I was using an immersion blender for a while and found that as long as I rinsed it immediately I didn't have to fully wash it every time. So that was pretty easy.
    But then I got a milk frother for like 6 bucks for when I went out of town one time and it's so simple I use it every time now. It doesn't make as much of a foamy top as the immersion blender did but it incorporates the oil and butter well enough. Not so great when the batteries start to get weak though.
  • ProCoffeenator
    ProCoffeenator Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Has anyone added protein powder to their BPC? I'm like the idea of adding half a scoop of chocolate to make it mocha like. I'm just scared to waste a cup! Haha!