Eating at Disney?

Options
treehugnmama
treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
I'm low carb not keto. I have a small make that big problem with eating craving carbs if I have fake sugar or white flour.

I am going to make my breakfast but will be eating out 1 to 2 times a day for 2 weeks...hopefully one.

Trying to do quick serves as table service just takes too much time. I gain huge evertime I go...one year I did a half marathon and walked disney pushing double stroller and still gained 10 pounds but wasn't low carb then.

I find disney burgers gross and don't like the prepackaged chicken they put on the salads......any suggestions? Anyone successfully done low carb (no refined carbs) while at disney. ?

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you are in disney, they have BBQ and turkey legs and duck and lots of meat friendly option.

Information is usually located right near the entrance of each park, if you stop by there they can tell you what restaurants offer low carb options for that park.
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    Found this gluten-free list - many of these are also low carb:

http://disney-eats.blogspot.com/p/disneyland-parks-gluten-free-list.html
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Try the duck.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    which disney park? I discovered recently you can take food into disneyland now (my cousin and her family did it) or you can put a small cooler in the locker outside the entrance and eat your picnic lunch in Downtown Disney if her experience was a fluke... that's what I would probably do honestly. Disney kills me as far as food goes, every time. I bring almonds and other nuts - beef jerky - hard cooked eggs - salad with oil/vinegar dressing that doesn't need refrigeration - etc
  • skippieone
    skippieone Posts: 15 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I go to Disney Parks once or twice each year, my tips:

If you haven't already, check out the menu's in advance.

At the Magic Kingdom I highly recommend going to Pecos Bills - they do salads with chicken or beef and lots of different styles of burgers...just don't eat the rolls and tortilla chips. Ask them not to put them on. ETA: skipped over that you don't like the burgers...try the new Skipper Canteen - grilled steak, pork and chicken dishes and the Baladi Salad.

At the Animal Kingdom we go to either the Yak & Yeti and get the Lettuce Cups or Seared Tuna Salad OR to Flame Tree BBQ and get the Roasted Chicken Salad. Get the dressings on the side.

At EPCOT, we nearly ALWAYS do Sunshine Seasons...they have a SUPER selection. We also like the Garden Grill for their meats (Sliced Filet of Beef and Sliced Turkey Breast).

When we go to Hollywood Studios, I usually head to the ABC Commissary for: their Asian Salad (tossed to order) OR the New York Strip Steak with herb butter and green beans (hold the fries!).

Things I'll also mention:

Take a Brita Water Bottle with you. Bottled water is expensive, but a cup of ice water at any restaurant is free and even though I'm picky about my water...the Brita makes it tolerable. We also fill the bottle with ice at the resort in the morning and let it melt as we go.

Snacks...pack them OR box them up and ship them to yourself at your resort about 1 week prior to your arrival. I do this every trip and have done it at Disneyland as well as WDW. I ship shelf stable almond milk, nuts, jerky, Epic bars and protein bars. Works great. And saves a ton of money. (I NEVER rent a car, so unless I take a taxi to the grocery store...this is what works for me.)

All the hotels have room refrigerators now. Many of the eateries serve HUGE portions that you could either split with a spouse/SO/child OR take back to the room and use for another meal.

Ask. Always, always ask. If you want dressing on the side...ask. If you don't want chips/fries/whatever...ask. Disney does it's best to accommodate requests, sometimes they cannot...but most times they will.

Most of all...HAVE FUN!!!

(P.S. I am lowER carb. And also...I love running Disney races!)

• Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'm low carb not keto. I have a small make that big problem with eating craving carbs if I have fake sugar or white flour.

I am going to make my breakfast but will be eating out 1 to 2 times a day for 2 weeks...hopefully one.

Trying to do quick serves as table service just takes too much time. I gain huge evertime I go...one year I did a half marathon and walked disney pushing double stroller and still gained 10 pounds but wasn't low carb then.

I find disney burgers gross and don't like the prepackaged chicken they put on the salads......any suggestions? Anyone successfully done low carb (no refined carbs) while at disney. ?

Years ago, when I took my family to Disney (Orlando), we had an ice chest in the car filled with lunch. When lunch time came we went to the parking lot, ate and went back in. Their food costs a pretty penny and we could not afford it then. There are water fountains in the park to drink from. Last time we went, in the 90's, Hubby and me had our fill of long lines, heat, buy buy buy after every ride atmosphere, and told out teenage kids, "This is it. Next time you go, it will be with your own kids."
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    We did Disney in Feb of this year. It was my first trip while eating keto. My strategy was basically to eat a huge breakfast at our hotel room (had a kitchen) then not eat while at disney other than a small packet of almonds which I just bring along. Then I eat a good dinner (steak). We did eat at the rainforest Cafe which has good meat options. Of course, lots of water through the day.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Try the duck.

Donald or Daisy?

Scrooge.

Or would he be too stringy?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Try the duck.

Donald or Daisy?

Scrooge.

Or would he be too stringy?

Stringy?

...or Stingy?
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Try the duck.

Donald or Daisy?

A blind draw? (No Peking.)

You are so bad Ralph!! (still laughing over your first comment!)
  • treehugnmama
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Thanks ks for all the helpful tips. We will be at disney world. We have a full kitchen and I will make breakfast everyday. We will have either a dinner or lunch out depending on the plan for the day.

Never thought to bring nuts etc when the others are eating lunch at a quick serve. ..great idea that I can do!!

Thanks for the restaurant suggestions I have not been to some of them.
    We usually order garden grocer to get some groceries delivered and I bring a suitcase of dry packable foods. I live in canada so shipping snacks costs way to much.

I can't drink Florida water I used to bring crystal ligjt for my water but I now avoid the sweatner . I will have some bottled water delivered.

Thanks for the suggestions I really don't want to loose my way on my journey and come home eating like the old me!

I'm not so adventurous with meet can't do turkey legs and I have never tried duck...regular daisy or Donald.
  • Zenwenner
    Zenwenner Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Ralf you totally crack me up :D
  • ChrissyGoto
    ChrissyGoto Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I own DVC so we go at least twice a year. We have a full kitchen so we always have breakfast in the room and try to have at least lunch or dinner there as well. We always pack snacks in a backpack for the day as well. For myself I pack beef jerky, nuts, and an avocado.

As for meals, we tend to eat table service but here are a few of my favorite quick service:
    Magic Kingdom:
    *Columbia Harbour House, they have a salmon entrée, I ask for double broccoli instead of the couscous.
    *Gaston's Tavern use to have my all time favorite the pork shank but they have taken it off the menu :(
    *Cosmic Ray's has a 1/2 rotisserie chicken

Epcot:
    *Sunshine Seasons.... lots of choices for the low carb, but you may have to order with special instructions
    *Fife & Drum: turkey leg

Animal Kingdom:
    *Flame Tree BBQ

Check out AllEars.com they have all the menus for all the restaurants in all the parks and all the resorts, both quick service and table service.

• Anaaremade
    Anaaremade Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. I will be going to Dorney Park soon and want to know in advance what I will be up against.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I am an annual passholder for Disney, and I am there all the time. My profile picture is actually me at Epcot. I also have probably the most restrictive low-carb diet--meat only, no nuts, no plants/salads--which excludes many of the normal low-carb options you might find around the parks. I still manage just fine.

I eat the turkey legs. They also have many places that have chicken plates (like half a roasted chicken). I get that and ignore the sides. The pork shanks at Gaston's used to be my favorite, but they're gone now. I also don't get very hungry. So, I can wait if there's nothing that works for me.

I try and eat off property. My recent thread about breaking McD's happened at the McD's on Disney property (right next to the All Star Resorts). We stopped there between parks. I eat a large meal, so I won't need to eat while at the park. There's also a Fuddruckers and other great restaurants close by, but not close enough to walk if you don't have a car.
  • treehugnmama
    Options
    I am dvc also been going for years but never looked at low carb before. I ate my weight in mice shaped foods lol

We are doing the dvc party one night and the Halloween another so those two will be great to make my big meal at home before we go.

I will look up fuddruckers we usually have a car.

I think that's a good plan to eat as little as possible at the park and have big meals at resort.
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    The mice shaped rice krispy treats with the chocolate ears are my favorite! Definitely NOT low carb though.
  • treehugnmama
    Options
    Lol mine are the icecream sandwiches taste so much better in mice shape.

The dvc party has free icecream and chips but I'm not worried I can have one ice cream and be OK ....moderation!

Just.cant.go.crazy.!