Walking

Options
Hey all,

I have started walking along country walks and am LOVING it! I walkied 10 miles last weekend and 15 today- STUNNING scenes tho! is this enough to make me lose weight or do I need to lift weights etc? Also after walking I am soooo sore the next day shal I rest or walk more?

Replies

• Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    eating less than you burn makes you lose weight. exercise is just a way of burning more. so no idea if it's enough to make you lose weight or not as we don't know your diet stats. and yes, you should be doing strength training too.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You're experiencing DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) which is very common for those starting a fitness program, one of the ways to alleviate symptoms is to get moving again.

I like to look at it as:

diet = weight loss
    exercise = fitness

Exercise contributes indirectly to weight loss by burning calories but the benefit of a well rounded fitness program transcends weight loss and should include both cardio and strength. You can be fit and overweight (I still need to drop some weight but I can run half marathon distances, ride my bike, row, lift weights, play soccer etc) and you can be skinny and unfit. In a perfect world you would be at (or close to) your "ideal" weight and fit.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Yes walking is enough, but as the others said you need to continue to monitor what you eat. Dropping your cals will help you loss weight.

Lifting weights won't help you loose weight at all, but rather help you strengthen your muscles. (Well I guess indirectly it will help, since strong muscles will burn more calories and burn more effeciently).
  • stusieq
    stusieq Posts: 3
    Options
    Glad you have found something you love!!! That's very important to a healthy lifestyle! Strength training may or may not be important for you and your body. I look and feel better when I am doing strength training. But for weight loss, it's not that great - indirectly as someone already mentioned - it builds muscle which will in turn burn more calories. I think strong muscles are important for me, personally. But everyone has a different body composition and desire.

As for walking the next day after a long walk, I think getting up and moving some is helpful. For instance, if you have done 10-15 miles one day, the next day do just a couple miles just to keep blood flowing and keep things from getting stiff. And it can be slow and easy - nothing fast or strenuous.