Hot Chocolate....... possible????

sas1uk
sas1uk Posts: 37 Member
Hi All,
I'm usually a lurker, but the BPC thread prompted me to take the plunge!
At the moment, my " treat" each day is a cup of Cadburys Highlights hot chocolate ( UK, sorry!)made with water. It's delish, but costs me 5 Carbs per day!!
Does anyone have any ideas for an alternative hot chocolate drink with fewer carbs please?
Btw, I LOVE this board!
Thanks!
Sas :-)

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Not likely, given that even unsweetened cocoa has a notable amount of carbs in it.

This is the closest I ever found that wasn't just something like Walden Farms syrup in water, and it's still 6g net.
    http://www.ruled.me/creamy-keto-hot-cocoa/
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    To be fair, half of the carbs in unsweetened cocoa powder are fiber.

Here's what I used to do:

1 cup base milk of choice (unsweetened almond and/or coconut are pretty good)
    up to 1/4 c heavy cream (depending on how many calories you want from it, just be mindful of the carb content; I've been known to do a higher amount after shovelling snow)
    up to 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
    sweetener of choice to taste (both xylitol and stevia work well, just be sure to not go overboard with them)

Some optional things to add -- a dash of cayenne powder, maca powder, coconut oil (I recommend tossing in a blender for these).
  • sas1uk
    Wow! Thanks for the responses Gallowmere and Dragonwolf ! Don't suppose you know the carb count for yours do you please Dragon? :)
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    If you're a coffee drinker, unsweetened cocoa powder, coffee and coconut cream with a wee bit of stevia make a pretty awesome mocha, with very little in the way of carbs. I just used 5-10 grams of powder, which was sufficient.
  • sas1uk
    Thanks " Paleo" ! :)
  • Dragonwolf
    sas1uk wrote: »
    Wow! Thanks for the responses Gallowmere and Dragonwolf ! Don't suppose you know the carb count for yours do you please Dragon? :)

It depends largely on what you use and how much, but here are some rough numbers:

1c unsweetened almond milk = 1g carb (rounded up)
    1/4c heavy cream = 2g (rounded up)
    1tbsp cocoa powder = 3g (rounded down) total, 1.8g fiber (so 1.3g net)
    sweetener = we'll assume 1g

So, for the base recipe, you're looking at roughly 7g total or 5.3g net. Maybe a little more if you're heavy-handed with the cream, like I am. ;)
  • SamiHearken
    SamiHearken Posts: 178 Member
    Avalanche sugar free hot chocolate has 0.3g of carbs
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited July 2016
    Unsweet baking chocolate does not have too many carbs. Less than powdered cocoa I think. I sometimes put one half servingin my BPC
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Well this is timely - would you all believe that the last thing my son said to me last night was "tomorrow can you help me experiment with making low carb hot chocolate? Please?" You all seriously read his mind!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    I'm not a big fan of coffee in any shape or form...not even sweet things. That said, the closest I get to BPC is low carb Hot Chocolate, Mexican Hot Chocolate or Egg Nog.

Mexican Hot Chocolate:

serves 2

1 cup coconut milk or coconut cream
    1/2 cup water
    1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon your preferred cacao powder
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    24 drops vanilla flavored liquid stevia

Using a blender, whip together SLOWLY until everything is completely blended. Microwave until hot. Stir once more and enjoy!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    My current recipe for BPCocoa since I don't drink coffee (@Phrick - I've had to work at balance on this one, but I love it, and it tastes better than the NSA stuff I bought for work!)

8-10 oz unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    3 TBSP butter (or less if using any heavy cream)
    1 TBSP MCT oil (I used up my bottle today and accidentally used a bit more, I think)
    1 scoop collagen powder
    1-2 TBSP raw cacao powder
    1 "dash" vanilla powder (will be switching to alcohol free vanilla when this is gone - has sugar in it/didn't know)
    2 droppers SweetLeaf Stevia
    2-4 oz hot water

Optional: splash heavy cream, dash salt

Since I make this at work, I microwave the butter and almond milk. While that's warming, I add everything else to my "mixing mug" and blend together with my frother. Once the butter/almond milk is heated, I add about half of it, blend, then the rest, and blend again. I add hot water to taste... Added the recipe to MFP. 10 grams carbs, 5 net grams carbs, but this is my breakfast MEAL... I didn't measure the cacao powder exactly, so I rounded up, and it would be just a little higher on carbs if I used heavy cream (I should add 1-2 carbs for the current vanilla powder I use even though MFP doesn't count it, as I know there's some sweetener in it). Now this is higher in carbs @sas1uk - but this recipe, I control everything that goes in it, the ingredients are all of great quality, I don't have AS I don't like or weird fillers, and I'm quite happy to have this every day, adjusting a little up or down. It works for me without having any crashes afterward, and yes, the majority of the carbs from the cacao powder, which is awesome and way taster than traditional grocery store cocoa powder! :)

Nutrition Facts
    Servings 1.0
    Amount Per Serving
    calories 604
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 68 g 104 %
    Saturated Fat 52 g 260 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 2 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 90 mg 30 %
    Sodium 230 mg 10 %
    Potassium 284 mg 8 %
    Total Carbohydrate 10 g 3 %
    Dietary Fiber 5 g 19 %
    Sugars 0 g
    Protein 11 g 22 %
    Vitamin A 37 %
    Vitamin C 0 %
    Calcium 58 %
    Iron 11 %
    * The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.
  • sas1uk
    Wow Wow WOW! Can't thank you enough for all your suggestions..... thanks especially to Dragon for working stuff out for me. The Mexican recipe sounds quite straight forward , I'll certainly try it.

Sorry for delay in responding, I live on a boat so I've been cruising today! :)

Sas
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Aztec style also has chili (capsicum for you UK'ers). Very tasty and a real peppy morning drink.
  • ladipoet
    Wow Wow WOW! Can't thank you enough for all your suggestions..... thanks especially to Dragon for working stuff out for me. The Mexican recipe sounds quite straight forward , I'll certainly try it

I forgot to mention on last thing: if you don't plan on drinking it immediately, I recommend adding 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum to it otherwise the cinnamon will settle to the bottom of the cup if left in the refrigerator overnight (n yes, I'm strange because I prefer "hot chocolate" cold. LOL).

• sas1uk
    Thanks " ladipoet " ! Presume it's OK to warm ingredients on the stove rather than microwave, as I don't have such luxuries on board! :D
  • ladipoet
    No problem @sas1uk. You're welcome. Yep, it's perfectly okay to heat it up on a stove. The source of the heat makes not a whit of difference.
  • sas1uk
    Thanks. I've just been researching Bulletproof stuff......forgive me if all this is obvious to you guys, but I feel I'm on the first rung of this ladder, so have much to learn!

I really don't fancy the BPC......I realise it's probably really " filling" , but........
    When I asked Mr Google about BP stuff, this came up.

Bulletproof Sugar Free Hot Chocolate - 454g on Amazon ( sorry I thought that would paste as a link ;)

Has anyone tried this please? Btw, it looks as if a small mortgage is required to buy it!!!!! :D
    Sas
  • Dragonwolf
    Thanks. I've just been researching Bulletproof stuff......forgive me if all this is obvious to you guys, but I feel I'm on the first rung of this ladder, so have much to learn!

I really don't fancy the BPC......I realise it's probably really " filling" , but........
    When I asked Mr Google about BP stuff, this came up.

Bulletproof Sugar Free Hot Chocolate - 454g on Amazon ( sorry I thought that would paste as a link ;)

Has anyone tried this please? Btw, it looks as if a small mortgage is required to buy it!!!!! :D
    Sas

It's cacao powder, cacao butter, vanilla, and a blend of xylitol and erythritol. Nothing really particularly special, really. You could feasibly make your own.
  • sas1uk
    Oooh THAT sounds promising! Thanks again Dragon :)
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    I found sugar free Hershey's Special Dark syrup the other day. I've not used it yet, but think it will be wonderful addition to my BPC every so often. If you can handle the sugar alcohols.