Timing of sodium?

Options
tayusuki
tayusuki Posts: 194 Member
Curious question for you guys!!

So I don't know about any sciences or experiments everyone here may have taken, but I think it's pretty agreed that sodium somehow is essential with this WOE.

Has anyone noticed issues with consuming most of your daily needed sodium at once? I ask because I don't salt food. And my body has been aching so I melted a whole boullion cube and chugged it (pain gone within 20 min). The only way I can manage to get close is making some kind of soup or broth daily, however I don't know if it's so bad to get the intake in this manner.

If it's a very silly question, I apologize!! I'm not the greatest with nutrition things.

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I hope it is not bad. A solid boullion cube is my go to when not at home. I carry them in my purse and have been known to pop one in my mouth and let the salty mess dissolve as I wash it down with water. Not the most pleasant way to get my sodium but effective when in a pinch.

Someday I may get some sodium tablets but for my rare occasion, the salty cube works.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Timing doesn't matter much. As you've discovered, it works pretty quickly, so I just adjust my salt intake to prevent or treat symptoms.

The lower your carb intake, the more sodium you lose. That especially applies to fasting. And the more you exercise, the more sodium you lose.

So I usually time my intake for before and after exercise.

If I find myself fighting sodium-related symptoms too often, I'll simply increase my carb intake a bit to intentionally reduce ketone production.
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I take my sodium in bouillon too. I also add a 1/4 tsp of light salt mixed in so I can get potassium too.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Just be careful, as too much sodium at once can cause bathroom drama... (over 1 tsp of salt, I think, @auntstephie321 can confirm the amount)...

I tend to use sodium tablets (1 a day with BPCocoa) to supplement my meal salting, as well as if I decide I want broth, which these days is rare, but I salt my food heavily, and always have/craving salt is a sign of my hypothyroidism and of iodine deficiency, which fits me perfectly.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    if you go the salt tablet route, definitely take it with food - that much salt in your gut all at once can not only cause bathroom drama, it can also make you vomit (ask me how I know...)
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    if you go the salt tablet route, definitely take it with food - that much salt in your gut all at once can not only cause bathroom drama, it can also make you vomit (ask me how I know...)

Yep been there done that. Stick to a quarter tsp per bottle of water. I did 1 tsp I a bottle once, that was an unpleasant cleanse. Also took a handful of salt like a pill once swallowed with water and almost threw up instantly.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I just dump a teaspoon of Lite salt (55% Pot/45% Sod) into my preworkout, and on food if I end up needing a bit more.
  • ProCoffeenator
    ProCoffeenator Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    @Phrick It's funny I just picked up the NuSalt since it was the only kind I could find in my local grocer. It's sitting on my counter since I have no idea what to do with it now! I'm not usually a salt user unless it's boiled eggs.
    I was going to add it to my drinks like recommended but I wasn't sure how much to add! I'm thinking a dash of each will do?
    >:) I still can't wait for my kids to swipe my drink like they they ALWAYS do >:)
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I usually dissolve a half teaspoon pink Himalayan salt in a glass of flavoured water. And just chug. Hasn't bothered me. I try to hit 3000mg a day. But I usually only drink it when I stand up and feel dizzy. When that happens, that's the salt water cue.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    @Phrick It's funny I just picked up the NuSalt since it was the only kind I could find in my local grocer. It's sitting on my counter since I have no idea what to do with it now! I'm not usually a salt user unless it's boiled eggs.
    I was going to add it to my drinks like recommended but I wasn't sure how much to add! I'm thinking a dash of each will do?
    >:) I still can't wait for my kids to swipe my drink like they they ALWAYS do >:)

I use 1/4 tsp of NoSalt (a diff brand but same potassium chloride) per 16oz cup of coffee. It cuts the bitterness a bit just like salt does, gets the potassium in, and I can't taste it (did at first but quickly got used to it).

I also make KetoAde wit 1/4 tsp of NoSalt and 1/4 tsp of himalayan salt in a quart or liter of water with some Crystal Light strawberry lemonade water drops and it's really good. I'm cutting back now on how much of the water drops I use (primarily due to cost! I go through one of those bottles in like 3 days and they're almost $4 per bottle at my preferred store!)
  • ProCoffeenator
    ProCoffeenator Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Phrick I'm severely addicted to the crystal light peach tea! Going to try adding it to that. When I make my coffee at home we always have added a pinch of salt to the grinds, I'll try adding it to my cup as well!
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Keto-ade is my new favorite! I make up a pitcher to take to work with lite salt and lemonade mio.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I usually dissolve a half teaspoon pink Himalayan salt in a glass of flavoured water. And just chug. Hasn't bothered me. I try to hit 3000mg a day. But I usually only drink it when I stand up and feel dizzy. When that happens, that's the salt water cue.

I put some in my black coffee this morning and it tasted better. :)

Finally had to ditch using HWC and other dairy due to the congestion it caused in head and lungs.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    I put some in my black coffee this morning and it tasted better. :)

Finally had to ditch using HWC and other dairy due to the congestion it caused in head and lungs.

Has it all cleared up since you ditched the dairy? Cheese and yogurt included?