alcohol and low carb question

Options
bibbob300
bibbob300 Posts: 48 Member
Hi all,

I'm currently on a vlcd and it's strictly forbidden to drink alcohol because ketosis that the diet evokes can be dangerous and we are advised to " carb up" before drinking.
I noticed a post on here a while ago that mentioned alcohol and wondered what your views are?
I only ask because I'm nearing my goal weight and looking for a way to maintain but know once I put carbs back in I'm going to gain weight again, I'll do it slowly aiming to stay around 100g a day, probably won't be in ketosis which I love so much as my hunger pangs go but at the same time is 100g a day still classed as low carb ? And will the odd glass of wine be safe?

Thanks for your thoughts

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    VLC isn't forbidden from drinking, you just have to be very careful. I don't bother with a carb-up before drinking. The cool part, is that I am literally the cheapest drunk in the world. Pairing my already low-alcohol tolerance with keto, means that I am drunk as *kitten* within 15 minutes, off of a single shot of 90 proof Irish Whiskey.

Once you are up into the 100g/day range, you'll be out of keto territory anyway, and have far less to worry about.
  • bibbob300
    Options
    Thanks Gallowmere,

Just had a good read through the launch pad and it seems that its the low cal bit as well that is dangerous, seeing that I'll be having a few carbs and more fat I should be ok, and yes my tolerance is way low at moment having no drink since Jan !!

• tribal351
    tribal351 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My carb intake is <20 per day, but it hasn't stopped me from enjoying some good bourbon a few times. Haven't noticed anything unusual.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Ketosis isn't dangerous as long as you have a functioning pancreas. Meaning that you aren't a Type 1 Diabetic. However, even my T1D daughter who eats low carb still drinks. She turns 22 tomorrow, so drinks more than any of us here! And even without a functioning pancreas, her digital pancreas (insulin pump) keeps ketosis from being dangerous.
    Whomever told you that was no doubt confusing ketosis with Ketoacidosis and alcoholic Ketoacidosis... Unless you don't have a functioning pancreas or plan to go on a 3 day bender where you consume almost no food and drink so much alcohol and nothing else that you start vomitting, causing extreme dehydration and yet continue to drink alcohol... Then you're fine.
    I have maintained ketosis for 15 months and have definitely gotten drunk several times and ketosis has never been a concern. Hydration is the only thing to look out for...
    I think the best practice is to drink about 6 ounces or more of water between each drink. And SALT... Just add some to your water if there isn't a lie carb salty snack to help you. But, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, olives, pickles... Even pepperoni and cheese have salt.
  • bibbob300
    Options
    Thanks for your replies, the vlcd diet I'm on states no alcohol and carb up to 200g for 2 days before touching any, as they say the ketosis state can cause death !!! Guess they have to cover themselves, least when I start my low carb maintainance I can relax a little and enjoy the odd glass :)
  • TraceyScullion
    TraceyScullion Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    bibbob300 wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies, the vlcd diet I'm on states no alcohol and carb up to 200g for 2 days before touching any, as they say the ketosis state can cause death !!! Guess they have to cover themselves, least when I start my low carb maintainance I can relax a little and enjoy the odd glass :)

If that was true, I'd be dead a dozen times over since May.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

If that was true, I'd be dead a dozen times over since May.

Ketosis and alcoholic ketoacidosis are being confused here, I believe.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,967 Member
    Options
    Ketosis isn't dangerous as long as you have a functioning pancreas. Meaning that you aren't a Type 1 Diabetic. However, even my T1D daughter who eats low carb still drinks. She turns 22 tomorrow, so drinks more than any of us here! And even without a functioning pancreas, her digital pancreas (insulin pump) keeps ketosis from being dangerous.
    Whomever told you that was no doubt confusing ketosis with Ketoacidosis and alcoholic Ketoacidosis... Unless you don't have a functioning pancreas or plan to go on a 3 day bender where you consume almost no food and drink so much alcohol and nothing else that you start vomitting, causing extreme dehydration and yet continue to drink alcohol... Then you're fine.
    I have maintained ketosis for 15 months and have definitely gotten drunk several times and ketosis has never been a concern. Hydration is the only thing to look out for...
    I think the best practice is to drink about 6 ounces or more of water between each drink. And SALT... Just add some to your water if there isn't a lie carb salty snack to help you. But, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, olives, pickles... Even pepperoni and cheese have salt.

+1000 :+1:
  • dancing_daisy
    dancing_daisy Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the metabolic biochemistry above!

My input would be: if you're going to drink then drink something low carb! Dry white wine (the drier the better) and 'clear' spirits with no added sugar mixers are the lowest carb around.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

They are wrong.
    They are also wrong on any advice suggesting any increased carbs are needed.
  • bibbob300
    Options
    Thanks all :)
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options

They are wrong.
    They are also wrong on any advice suggesting any increased carbs are needed.

Same folks who advise using Bengay as a personal lubricant.....
  • bibbob300
    Options
    I'll be back asking loads more questions when I start my low carb journey, for now I'll spend hours browsing the recipies to get some ideas , I've lost 4 stone with the vlcd, I always thought I was just greedy and had no "full" switch but cutting my carbs to 70g a day has massively curved my appetite so, I've learnt when I put carbs back in ( according to the vlcd guidelines) for holidays, so I can drink alcohol, by day 3 I could eat a horse again !
    I now realise it's the carbs causing the cravings and massive appetite, so seems the logical way to go, once again thanks for all your advice x