Carbs in Beef Roast

Options
Holy *kitten*!!! Are there really carbs in Beef roasts?????

Replies

• jeffkirkwold
    jeffkirkwold Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Is meat sweet?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    If it has some sort of sauce on it, in it or is packaged - yes.
  • McShorty7
    McShorty7 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yes, some may come with "seasoning"...whatever that might be. There's usually a sugars in rubs and marinades.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    If you cook it you can control those additives

But no, no carbs in roast beast
  • ConstantStruggle
    ConstantStruggle Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    No. It was not packaged. It is straight from the cow. Some seasoning salt and garlic and that's it. Myfitnesspal roast beef in crock pot says it has carbs. I knew that couldn't be true. Thanks for setting me straight
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    if you found an entry that was for roast beef cooked in a crockpot it was someone's custom entry - theirs probably had carbs. Your better bet is to build the recipe yourself, so that the ingredients YOU used are the only ones accounted for. I mean what if that person cooked theirs with carrots and potatoes? No way to know. So making your own recipe is the only thing that makes sense. The link to the recipe builder, if you don't know where to find it: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/box - personally I use the link up on the right corner for the "old recipe builder" as I have always found the new importing one to be useless.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Search for the USDA entry for the cut of meat you roasted.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    No. It was not packaged. It is straight from the cow. Some seasoning salt and garlic and that's it. Myfitnesspal roast beef in crock pot says it has carbs. I knew that couldn't be true. Thanks for setting me straight

You entered someone else's recipe, not your own
    You need to enter the garlic, seasoning and beef either as individual items or create your own recipe and save it.
  • Yocum1219
    Yocum1219 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    If I cook the roast for my family but I personally skip the carrots/potatoes, then I don't end up with carbs, right? They don't leach into the meat?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    The garlic, depending on quantity, will have some carbs, but not too many.

@Yocum1219 - It really depends on whether you consume any gravy/drippings. I tend to not worry too much about "contact carbs" like that - as it would be whatever starches cook out into the gravy. I dry roast my veg with olive oil or whatever and salt/pepper. I don't cook it in the same, pan, but I'm not big on pot roast style.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Yo yo yo - speakin' of BEEF...

I'm gonna make beef stew probably this week or next, since I got me a 40 oz. boneless chuck arm roast delivered for $19 in my grocery order today. I'll make it like so...

Some or all of the beef, cubed, probably seared lightly, plus:
    3-4 quarts of beef broth
    A few cloves of garlic
    1 or 2 cubed jicama (never used this before, except raw)
    8 oz. sliced white mushrooms
    8 oz. diced Portabella mushroom caps
    Half a big yellow onion, diced small
    Fresh parsley
    Fresh marjoram
    Fresh thyme
    salt
    pepper
    A glug of white wine (I've got some Marsala)

This should make about 6 quarts and last me a long while. Not sure yet if I'll use all the beef or save some for another dish. Since there's no flour, I may or may not sprinkle a tiny dash of xanthan gum into a slurry and stir it into the pot near the end of cooking, to thicken it up a bit.

I forgot carrots. Yes, carrots. Once or twice a year, I'll buy a small "snack size" baggie of peeled mini ones (like, a 5 oz. bag) or one or two single carrots when i want to make a giant dish that calls for them, and cut them very small - the resulting amount would be a tablespoon or two per serving. In the case of beef stew, my preference was to always make it with hunks of potato and carrot, and a lot of onion. Seeing as all 3 of those are very high-carb, and I am not quitting onions anytime soon (FITE ME IRL, I LOVE MAH ONYONS!), I thought jicama would be a nice sub for tatos and the mushrooms would add something special. I'm not a peas or celery in my beef stew type of girl. The broth should have enough veg flavor to carry through.

Thanks for letting me overshare this. I'll update with how it went :) I have not had a homemade beef stew in at least two years, it was a winter mainstay dish in my kitchen, pre-keto days.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    bjwoodzy wrote: »
    Yo yo yo - speakin' of BEEF...

I'm gonna make beef stew probably this week or next, since I got me a 40 oz. boneless chuck arm roast delivered for $19 in my grocery order today. I'll make it like so...

Some or all of the beef, cubed, probably seared lightly, plus:
    3-4 quarts of beef broth
    A few cloves of garlic
    1 or 2 cubed jicama (never used this before, except raw)
    8 oz. sliced white mushrooms
    8 oz. diced Portabella mushroom caps
    Half a big yellow onion, diced small
    Fresh parsley
    Fresh marjoram
    Fresh thyme
    salt
    pepper
    A glug of white wine (I've got some Marsala)

This should make about 6 quarts and last me a long while. Not sure yet if I'll use all the beef or save some for another dish. Since there's no flour, I may or may not sprinkle a tiny dash of xanthan gum into a slurry and stir it into the pot near the end of cooking, to thicken it up a bit.

I forgot carrots. Yes, carrots. Once or twice a year, I'll buy a small "snack size" baggie of peeled mini ones (like, a 5 oz. bag) or one or two single carrots when i want to make a giant dish that calls for them, and cut them very small - the resulting amount would be a tablespoon or two per serving. In the case of beef stew, my preference was to always make it with hunks of potato and carrot, and a lot of onion. Seeing as all 3 of those are very high-carb, and I am not quitting onions anytime soon (FITE ME IRL, I LOVE MAH ONYONS!), I thought jicama would be a nice sub for tatos and the mushrooms would add something special. I'm not a peas or celery in my beef stew type of girl. The broth should have enough veg flavor to carry through.

Thanks for letting me overshare this. I'll update with how it went :) I have not had a homemade beef stew in at least two years, it was a winter mainstay dish in my kitchen, pre-keto days.

@bjwoodzy - Radish is supposed to be a good potato swap, too, when cooked. And maybe a winter squash could be a partial compromise to carrots? Zucchini would probably pick up the sauce flavor really well, and it can be easily camouflaged! Maybe roast them separately and add toward the end? But I understand you on the onion... If you love something, gotta fit it in. Looks like carrots and onions have similar macros, and a few other things, too....interesting...
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've had radish roasted in a pan. Still tasted to me like radish, but wet and soggy and since i was hoping they'd resemble potatoes - instead of dry and fluffy, the moisture was still there, and burst in my mouth. Still tasty, Just hot and squishy...um, radish! Not at all crispy. Deceptive, since they looked a lot like red potatoes out of the oven, Lol.

I wonder if zucchini, diced in a coarse chunk, would be the closest texture to well-cooked carrot? I'm not missing carrots that badly, honestly. The jicama was on sale and in season. Radish, more of a thing to buy best in summer, for me. I love it sliced thin for pork tacos/taco salads. Maybe when the big ones are in season again here, I'll try dicing some into a soup. Thanks!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    A couple friends who are low carb use young turnip chunks, they are quite low in carb and according to them taste pretty close to potato. They are small and white fleshed with purple tops. Rutabaga is often called a yellow turnip but it is much higher in carbs.
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited January 2017
    Options
    h3f92pbkcyrs.jpg

That is grams of carbs per 100 gram serving.

px55lgntrd8k.jpg
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    bjwoodzy wrote: »
    Yes, I've had radish roasted in a pan. Still tasted to me like radish, but wet and soggy and since i was hoping they'd resemble potatoes - instead of dry and fluffy, the moisture was still there, and burst in my mouth. Still tasty, Just hot and squishy...um, radish! Not at all crispy. Deceptive, since they looked a lot like red potatoes out of the oven, Lol.

Yes!! I make them sometimes to have with eggs and sausage. A couple over easy fried eggs on top of the radishes improves them. Because it is weird to look at a plate of delicious red potato looking things and get a juicy radish.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Turnip tastes NOTHING like potatoes imo.....
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    h3f92pbkcyrs.jpg

px55lgntrd8k.jpg

OOOOo! I love these pics! Such a helpful visual comparison - i didn't realise eggplant/ aubergine was so low in carbs.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    h3f92pbkcyrs.jpg

px55lgntrd8k.jpg

OOOOo! I love these pics! Such a helpful visual comparison - i didn't realise eggplant/ aubergine was so low in carbs.

@JessiBelleW - These graphics are from dietdoctor.com. He has them for fruits, grains, meats, etc. Go to the main page and click the header link for low carb, and you can see them all.