Ketosis and weight loss

Options
ConstantStruggle
ConstantStruggle Posts: 89 Member
edited August 2016 in Social Groups
Ok..I thought I posted this lastnight but can't find it anywhere.
When do I know if I am in ketosis or not? When do I have to switch up my carbs and protein measurements? How long do I go without losing before I have to switch things up? I was under the impression if I was in ketosis I would lose every week.

Replies

• AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    You'll probably notice a metallic taste in your mouth or you can buy some keto stix and seeing your urone shows ketones.

I lost weight great the first couple weeks then stalled for 3 weeks then started losing again. I'd give it at least 2 months before you adjust anything.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    You don't lose weight every week. Nobody does.
    Ketosis doesn't change that.
    Now, you might lose fat every week though. Just not necessarily scale weight.
    I went through a long ordeal trygs my to figure out how to break a "stall"
    I'll find you my post on it
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10353600/there-is-no-such-thing-as-a-stall#latest

And... This one shows why you need to stick with it even if you stop losing weight completely. I weight the same now as I did in like January or something. I don't even know anymore it's been so long since I've actually lost scale weight. But I keep needing smaller clothes. And I don't exercise, so there's no reason to expect that some kind of muscle gains are the explanation.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10383792/its-my-ketoversary#latest
  • ConstantStruggle
    ConstantStruggle Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Sunny_Bunny thanks for the post. It is very inspirational because my number on my scale HAS GONE UP 2 LBS this week! My calories seem high but my carbs and protein are in check. So do I just keep doing what I'm doing? My daughter bday was yesterday and I'm telling you that cake and ice cream looked DELICIOUS but I didn't have any. Only licked a tiny pea size amount off my finger after serving a piece.
    You seem to to know what your talking about. Will you friend me so we can talk easier?
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I also gained 2 lbs while in ketosis. Ditto all above, just stick with the plan, keeping an eye on calories and, most importantly, carbs.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    You should see my weight loss graph. Up three pounds, down two pounds, up two pounds, down four pounds....they ain't lying when they say weight loss is not linear.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Ok..I thought I posted this lastnight but can't find it anywhere.
    When do I know if I am in ketosis or not? When do I have to switch up my carbs and protein measurements? How long do I go without losing before I have to switch things up? I was under the impression if I was in ketosis I would lose every week.

If you are eating under 50g of carbs per day you are probably in mild ketosis most of the time. If you are at about 20g or so, you will be in ketosis all the time unless you eat 20g all at once (even then you may still be in ketosis). It only takes a day or so to get into ketosis.

If you find a good carb and protein level you never have to switch them. Often just more fat is added into the diet when maintenace is achieved. Some might cut carbs a bit during weightloss to change things but protein is usually pretty stable.

As the others said, weight loss is not very linear. If you have no losses for a couple of months, and no measurement changes, then you could consider cutting calories more, or play with fasting. If it is less than a few months, I wouldn't change anything becaue you may be getting smaller even if you are not losing weight.

Ketosis just means that you are using fat oxidation for fuel instead of glucose. I have gained about 5lbs while in ketosis because I ate too much. Ketosis is not a guarantee of weight loss but a tool that helps some to be successful. KWIM?
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    All of this, @nvmomketo .