Connect - I Just Don't Get It

Options
60in2017
60in2017 Posts: 65 Member
For those who came over from the WW site - Connect - I just don't get it. It seems like a bunch of people texting back and forth and posting pictures, like it's a phone ap. Am I missing something? Is there some button I'm not pushing that organizes the posts or is it just a giant stream of thoughts?

Replies

• crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,996 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Steve's blog (countcurt) has a pretty good objective assessment in his July 14th entry at https://countcurtblog.wordpress.com.

And from my perspective, you've grasped what Connect is.

(Bear in mind that while Connect is what WW is pushing, there was a vibrant, energized community on the message boards. WW hid the access to that and is now unplugging it. Most of us left rather than stick around for the funeral.)
  • Jim48322
    Jim48322 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You can use # to sort and get to a general group like #wwbros. The # followed by the subject you want is one way. Go to search & explore.
    I play on Connect mainly to see inspiring stories and brag on myself and get pats on the back.
    There is. ALOT of FB type stuff that I avoid.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I haven't done much with Connect. However, I see that it serves a purpose for some people and that's fine. Like Jim, I find some inspiring stories and pictures there and for part of this 'journey' I think there's value in that. However, I get much more value from the interaction on the message boards. GOAD has been my go-to resource since Day 1 on WW.

At some point you realize those pounds might actually not be 'gone forever!'...
  • crewahl
    Options
    I think the primary problem I have with Connect is that it's undifferentiated in its audience. Everyone jumps into one big stream of consciousness and because of the volume, any true content just gets sucked under and left behind. There's no dialogue to it, and there's no true community of likeminded people (other than "we're all fat".)

But I'm guessing that particular "f word" isn't allowed there - just too negative.
  • Jim48322
    Jim48322 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    crewahl wrote: »
    I think the primary problem I have with Connect is that it's undifferentiated in its audience. Everyone jumps into one big stream of consciousness and because of the volume, any true content just gets sucked under and left behind. There's no dialogue to it, and there's no true community of likeminded people (other than "we're all fat".)

But I'm guessing that particular "f word" isn't allowed there - just too negative.

YEP!
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,105 Member
    Options
    Oh I use the the eff word FAT FAT FAT. That's what I was for sure. There said it.
    No interest in the connection mishmash at this point.
  • Lifetimer1111
    Lifetimer1111 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    After being a Lifetimer at goal for years, I have managed to put back most of the weight I lost whilst caretaking my parents. Returning to the WW tracker was a shock to find a completely new system - all the points I THOUGHT I knew had been changed. And now the message boards gone. I like to say, "Thanks Oprah!"<NOT!> LOL ~ but I know it's really WW corporate trying to gather new income streams.... They do that every few years...

That said, I am glad for this group, as I too had used GoaD for support from the start. Glad to see some familiar faces!

I still am struggling to get back into tracking mode with the new points system - I just cannot do the calorie counting here on MyFitnessApp. Way too confusing, so I will do my best to get on the "new" points system.

Well, that's my rant LOL Onward and downward, once again :)
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,105 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Welcome back. I am not so much for calorie counting either although it is easier than it used to be. I liked the simple points and could easily remember things like one ounce of xyz = 1 point.
    Let us know how it goes.
  • Lifetimer1111
    Lifetimer1111 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks Podkey - Forgive me, I'm forgetting your real name - this site doesn't allow for that :) Great to see you and know that you have kept it off. I'm struggling (partly grief, mostly cocktails :) I will prevail though!l LOL Thanks!
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Now that WW has put Connect on the website I just got my first look at it. I'm not impressed. No second look planned.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,029 Member
    Options
    I have been looking at connect a few times and it just seemed to be one endless hoo rah after another. That part is OK but it doesn't give me what I need. I find my self loosing interest after clicking it a few times then moving on to something else simply because I have no real connection to anyone or a relationship with anyone. I'm sure I missed something but all I can realize is it's just not the same as a message board.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Charlie has kindly plugged my blog (royalty payment forthcoming!) which, as he notes, outlines my thoughts.

I see it (adoption of Connect and abandonment of the message boards) as a commitment to a business strategy within which there is no room for anything other than the unrelentingly positive message of affirmation. From a business standpoint, it does make sense to adopt a strategy and eliminate anything that undermines the message.

Which, of course, means the next thing to go will be the WW Frankenfood. Since I still go to meetings, I'll let you know when that happens.
  • lowbar31
    lowbar31 Posts: 6,595 Member
    Options
    I don't connect with Connect. I guess that's why I'm here. I'm not real fond of the new point system either. P+ worked for me. I really feel WW is pushing me away. My first successful weight loss was done counting calories. It works and in some ways is easier.
  • crewahl
    Options
    countcurt wrote: »
    . . . there is no room for anything other than the unrelentingly positive message of affirmation.

It's good to have a strategy.

The problem is that unrelenting positivity yields to unrelenting "stiff upper lip", which succumbs to unrelenting reality when at goal.

The message boards provided dialogue to help people through that - in particular, GoaD and the Maintenance board. I'm not sure people will be able to "connect" to that knowledge in the new world.
  • my9cats
    my9cats Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It makes me laugh how on one day the WW plan is the most wonderful and workable plan on Earth then the next day it becomes the plan from Hell, never to be mentioned again. I use Momentum and am very happy with it. I didn't leave WW, WW left me.
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    my9cats wrote: »
    It makes me laugh how on one day the WW plan is the most wonderful and workable plan on Earth then the next day it becomes the plan from Hell, never to be mentioned again. I use Momentum and am very happy with it. I didn't leave WW, WW left me.

I feel the same way. EVERY plan that WW has come out with has been the BEST plan. My WW days go all the way back to the time when I had a "range" of points and was told to never eat below 18 points a day, had to earn additional points for the day (by eating at the lower range of points on certain days) and APs had to be used on the day they were earned. Then, all of a sudden, eating 18 points a day wasn't enough and I couldn't eat less than 20 points a day because it wasn't "healthy". Then it went up again. And again. And so on.

Truthfully, my WW days go all the way back to the original plan. Which was definitely NOT sustainable!

I still follow the original Core plan because that's what worked for me. The only difference is now I track calories using MFP - mainly to get a feel for the Core foods that I might be overeating.
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    I checked out Connect when it first came out and wasn't impressed. This weekend, my meeting leader encouraged us to go to connect and search for #snackhacks and share some with our group. I thought that using hashtags might just make Connect more useful, so I tried it. I got thousands of hits, but ... of the first 23 only 2 had anything to do with snack hacks, the others were inspirational quotes with a dozen or more of the latest meeting topic hashtags. I assume people were trying to get people to see their post, but I don't get it! Why tag posts with nothing to do with snack hacks, or even with food, with #snackhacks?

I stand by my original assessment, Connect is useless!
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I don't "hashtag" so Connect is not for me. Some day I might even join the 21st century and get a smartphone. B)