Anyone on LCHF done 1 meal a day?

Options
PamamaJane
PamamaJane Posts: 288 Member
The title is self explanatory. I'm considering trying this for a while but first would like input from any and all. So far I've figured that I MUST have my coffee with HWC first thing in the am. That will continue. However, I eat a breakfast about an hour after I get up even though I'm not usually hungry. Then I eat lunch just because it's lunch time. And I'm one of those people who have to finish off whatever is left over. Even if I'm only finishing it off so I can wash the container and get it back in the cupboard. Couple that with me not drinking enough water and it seems that if I drank large quantities of ice water for breakfast and lunch that maybe I could do with just the one evening meal per day. Any thoughts or experience you are willing to share?

Replies

• kennygang
    kennygang Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I too find that if I have my two cups coffee with hwc in am and I usually put coconut oil in one of those in good I do have a protein shake a few hours later and then around 1-2 pm I have a quest protein bar and I'm good then I may or may not have cheese snack around 4 pm and have a good dinner by 7pm
    Some days I'm more hungry but I just stared this and it feels good
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've done this, and it worked fine for me. Just had my BPC in the morning, and then nothing until dinner. It worked famously when I was at 1450 kcal/day. I don't think I'd enjoy it so much at my current calories though. 1500-1600 in one sitting would be rough for me.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I'm finding that I want more than 1450 calories a day no matter how I split them. :(
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I just posted about eating because it's habit - I wonder if I could challenge myself to have my BPC then dinner only. Working from home, near my kitchen all day, with no one but myself for accountability? hm...I love the idea; not sure I could pull the trigger!
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    This is my regular daily routine, to eat only one meal at supper time. I have been doing this for months now, can't even remember how long it's been. It happened so gradually and naturally too.

I used to be a 3 meal per day eater, then it morphed into only breakfast and supper and gradually I only needed supper. I switched BPC for my breakfast at first, and then no longer needed BPC or even cream in my coffee. I now prefer to get all my fat calories in my food, and take in only black coffee and water throughout the day. I seldom get hungry in between meals. If I do it's usually because my carb intake was too high the day before.

I no longer think I'm going to die or feel sick if I don't eat. I don't ever want to fall into the habit of eating for the sake of eating, ever again. I want to be able to eat when hungry, and if I get hungry, I can still usually wait until I can obtain food that fits my plan. And if I can't, I don't sweat it either way.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 meals and have fatty coffee in the morning. Sometimes if I'm really busy and don't notice I'm hungry, I'll go through to dinner. It's not really planned when that happens.
    I probably need to try this since I've added a few too many extra pounds with vacation and the slight increase that happened even before vacation. :wink:
    I think I eat at maintenance most days if I eat 2 meals. I may be able to achieve a calorie deficit more easily with 1.
    I think I might try this when school starts back.
  • scottaking
    scottaking Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Every now and then, I end up doing this unintentionally. Like most users here, I never skip my BPC in the morning. However, on busy days like today, I'm finally sitting down for my first real meal. It probably happens once a week or so. I don't notice any side effects from it. Pre-keto, my sugar shakes would be kicking in if I went 2 hrs without some food.
  • ksullivan2050
    ksullivan2050 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My eating window,is from 7-11pm. I don't eat all day during the week (M-F). On at least one weekend day I try to eat throughout the day while of course staying 10/20/70 (carbs/protein/fat). I will maybe 1 day a week make coffee with MCT oil. Bottom line 5 small meals a day never worked for me - I like a big dinner. The short eating window works great for me and I am not hungry during the day. I do CrossFit at noon typically and feel great!!
  • PamamaJane
    PamamaJane Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you who took the time and bother to share your experiences. Skipping lunch will be easier than skipping breakfast. Seven decades of "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" has left its mark on me. Today is the day I've decided to skip lunch on purpose. Dinner may end up a little earlier than usual but I'm determined to give this a shot. If it works after a week or two, I'll see what I can do to skip breakfast.

• suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    PanamaJane: Have you considered doing 24 hour intermittent fasting? This would let you work into one meal a day and let your body acclimate to the change. This week I did a 4 day fat fast (today is day 5 as a transition day upping protein and adding 200 cals). However, other weeks, I do IF twice a week breaking it up so there are 2 or 3 days between. I can see this as being a bridge to once daily eating.

A 24 hour fast is, for example, having your 3 meals on Sunday, then Monday you don't eat until suppertime (so if you eat supper on Sunday at 6 p.m., you wouldn't eat until 6 p.m. on Monday. After my one meal breaking my fast, I do not eat anything more that evening, just that one meal. And I always follow my macros for all those meals. Just a thought.

EDIT: Oh, on the fasting day, I still have a BPC, just a half portion and add the rest of the coconut oil to my supper meal. Good luck!