Stopped up plumbing solutions?

Options
suzqtme
suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
I couldn't see anyplace to do a search b/c it seems this topic would have come up in the past. This is just so TMI, anyway, that said, I've had problems with the "plumbing" since going on keto and very low carb at 5%. I've read that the high fat usually takes care of things, but that hasn't been true for me. I've also been having prolonged keto flu nausea (maybe due to no gallbladder??). So late yesterday afternoon, I took a salt water drink which helped the nausea and a bit of clog passed. Late this morning, I took more of the salt water and within a couple hours, the drain was open.

So this seems to be my solution, at least for now. Since this topic does get mentioned on other websites, I am assuming this is an issue for some. Wondering if I've discovered the miracle cure and also what has worked for others (or am I truly a Martian and on my own with this. >:) ).

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Seems it was dehydration causing your issue.
    Stopped up plumbing on Keto probably is often related to dehydration since it is the single most common thing that nobody thinks they have because they "drink a lot of water". Well, water without meeting sodium needs being met is still dehydration if your body can't retain it. You need the extra extra sodium for that.

Sometimes it is too little fat. And sometimes too much fiber is the culprit.
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Jump up and down for about 5 minutes. Then wait for 30 minutes. Seriously! :D
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Magnesium citrate works for me. Salt water seems to have no effect at all.
  • KetoLady86
    KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem!!! Im stopped up!
  • thewautiers
    thewautiers Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I found the magnesium works well for me too.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Definitely magnesium, I'm not keto, I had issues long before lowering my carbs a bit. But magnesium is my go to. Two magnesium complex tabs a night and things work like they should. If I eat bread (never works well for me), I add a third.
  • suzqtme
    Options
    Thanks for all the examples of what works. I'm compiling a "go to" list for back up (ooh, that's a pun). Now I gotta go cause Brett is about to give his HOF speech and its been so long since I've seen him cry.
  • Majcolorado
    Majcolorado Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Vitamin C is also an excellent and safe option. I've been using this since I switched to Magtein for my magnesium supplement.
  • jasperdog52554
    jasperdog52554 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Milk of magnesia is the only thing for me. Senna teas, stool softener, laxatives, bottles of mag citrate (barely anything)produce no results. Just make sure you don't have plans. When they say may produce resulted in 1/2 an hour, they mean it. Bonus, the generic is super cheap!
  • tribal351
    tribal351 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Phillips tablets work really well, and are gentle. I find myself having to take them every couple weeks or so. Had an issue a month ago, took a different kind and spent the entire night in pain. Work night too, wasn't the best idea, lol.

But yeah, lots of water, keep sodium up.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    The only thing that works for me is sugar free citracel. Not Keto friendly at all, but it works and I am still losing weight :) I guess, just figure out what works for you, our bodies are all so different!
  • kfat1
    kfat1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    suzqtme wrote: »
    I couldn't see anyplace to do a search b/c it seems this topic would have come up in the past. This is just so TMI, anyway, that said, I've had problems with the "plumbing" since going on keto and very low carb at 5%. I've read that the high fat usually takes care of things, but that hasn't been true for me. I've also been having prolonged keto flu nausea (maybe due to no gallbladder??). So late yesterday afternoon, I took a salt water drink which helped the nausea and a bit of clog passed. Late this morning, I took more of the salt water and within a couple hours, the drain was open.

What was the salt water drink? Or I have heard of people taking tabs?
  • suzqtme
    Options
    [quote="kfat1;37316962

What was the salt water drink? Or I have heard of people taking tabs?[/quote]

I read this on a couple of other sites for relief of keto flu symptoms to put 1/2 tsp of salt in a mug with cold water. It was pretty salty tasting, :* but it worked. Sauerkraut used to have the same effect, but they have significantly lowered the amount of salt in that product and it no longer has it's laxative effect.
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different but what works for me is: evoo on salad or roasted lc vegetables; magnesium glycinate; sodium in the form of broth or pickles, olives. If none of the above, try a small piece of anything loaded with sugar alcohols.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Go to youtube and search: How to make Sauerkraut (really easy)

Make it and eat 2-4 oz a day. You have to make it, because the purchased stuff is dead/pasteurized.

I hope this helps...

Dan
  • ceceblackstock327
    ceceblackstock327 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have read that people without a gallbladder who do Keto, usually take ox bile to help them digest fats.. Maybe something like that could help you with a more permanent solution?
  • ksullivan2050
    ksullivan2050 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I take a couple of tbsps of Brags apple cider vinegar. You can put it in water or just shoot it.
  • pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Salt water flush
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Colonbow.com:

1.jpg

2.jpg