Binge eating disorder and low carb.....

Options
AngInCanada
AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
Ok this may get long and I apologize. This may have been better suited for the main boards but I would get eaten alive in those shark infested waters.

I've had a binge eating disorder for as long as I can remember. In middle school I used to volunteer at the cafeteria so I got free food when my "shift" was done. Hot dogs, burgers, Nanaimo bars, soup, brownies etc. I remember babysitting and eating so much I felt sick. It's embarrassing to talk about but important. I'd eat an entire 4 pack of pudding cups and hide the evidence at the bottom of the garbage can. I used to come home from school and eat 4 grilled cheese sandwiches. Then eat a regular dinner an hour later. :(

I went through a brief period of purging after a binge, thankfully (mortifying at the time) my husband found out about it and I promised i wouldn't do it again and I haven't.

The only time I have EVER felt in control of my eating was by going low carb. I never had the desire to binge, once i got past the initial detox I never felt hungry. Seriously the first time I felt in control of food in 20+ years.

My problem is, people don't understand. I was doing amazingly well....finally back on track. Following the Primal Blueprint carb curve at 75-109 g carbs a day. Yesterday I was emotional and caved and ate a cookie. Ok I dusted myself off and picked myself up. Weto work and a co-worker offered me a brownie. I kept saying no thank you, I'm good. "It is even gluten free! Come on try it". Nag nag nag. I ate one and it triggered something in me and I came home and binged. Ate and ate and ate until I felt sick. Woke up this morning horribly bloated with a back ache :( I know this was a choice I made but I just feel like no should mean no.

It's depressing to think ill have to obtain from certain foods for my entire life but the reality is looking like that's how it'll have to be.

Anyone else deal with a disordered eating past?

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry that happened.

I only binged on candy.
    I could control portions when it came to meals, but when I got a sweet tooth, fahgetaboutit!
    I had candy hidden around the house because I didn't want anyone to know how much I was actually eating. I would find any lame excuse to need something from Walgreens if I was out just so I could feed the sugar beast. There were times that I had eaten almost an entire movie theater sized box of candy before I made the 1 mile drive back home. Driving slowly of course, so I could stuff as much in as possible before I got there.
    It was sad. It makes me sad to realize how hard it was for me to fight off a sweet craving if I didn't have something here. But it was rare that I didn't have something, somewhere. If there was no candy, there was at least fruit snacks or Little Debbie cakes or something!

I understand losing control with food. I equated the way I behaved with sugar to drug addiction. Talking to my niece who is in recovery made me realize how completely trivial my "addiction" really was. I thought to myself "seriously?!? She had to detox in prison and couldn't even see her daughter or family and I can't tell myself no?!?!" I was furious with myself the way someone might be furious with an alcoholic spouse making constant excuses.
    That, among other challenges I saw other people I love going through made me realize that if I couldn't get my *kitten* together with something as small as sugar binging, then I had no business trying to tell them what to do. I mean, I had to encourage my dad to just drink 2 ensure drinks a day and take 1 bite of food per meal during his chemo. That was soooooo hard for him to do. Way harder than anything I had to do to beat sugar. I couldn't tell him one more time "Dad, you HAVE to at least eat 1 bite" if I couldn't even just not eat candy.
    That was all it took. Cold turkey Keto the next day. The idea of eating any candy is actually very repulsive to me now. I even threw away some sugar free candy I bought when I first got started recently because it had expired. The package was nearly full and my kids all had some too.
    It's definitely a mental thing. For me, I had to kick my own *kitten*.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    MyriiStorm wrote: »

My only suggestion is to come up with a strategy to use if you ever find yourself in that position again, where someone is insisting you eat something you know to be a trigger food. Maybe something along the lines of, "No thank you, and please don't ask me again," if they ask after you have already said no once.

This is a good idea. I know I need to stand up for myself more because I'd let a herd of elephants trample me if it meant not hurting someone's feelings. I'm a people pleaser and always have been. Always put my own needs last (which is how I ended up 75pounds overweight)
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Some people can really be cruel. I suggest that when someone tries to force food on you that you tell them that you can't eat it because it will make you sick. That's exactly what happened to you. Most people understand food-related health issues and are less likely to press the issue if they know it will make someone ill.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Having worked in restaurants, it's no stretch to imagine off-label preparation of even the most tempting carb-bombs.....

• CeliaSea
    CeliaSea Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    golfgirl99 wrote: »
    Ordering two value meals at once so the person at the drive through would think I was bringing the other meal to someone else.

I've totally done this. I also used to order two drinks whenever I grabbed a pizza or Chinese takeout, just so the cashier wouldn't make the assumption that I was eating it all myself. I do find it a lot easier to control the binges on LCHF. But, when I cheat (which usually involves a celebration or social event), look out...it's out of control. Then I wake up the next day feeling like I've been run over by a truck, which only makes it harder to climb back on the wagon. I wish I could get to the root of my binge eating. I'm told that, once you understand what's driving it emotionally, you can move past it permanently. In the meantime, LCHF is the best tool I've ever come across.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options

In my case processed carbs are just fine as long as I do not put them in my MOUTH.

A simple but not easy solution.

It's not that hard, if you can imagine every former go-to carb treat being made with Drano, cat pee, and/or skunk spray.

PS Can you handle nuts/seeds, since dairy gives you troubles, like Macadamia nuts? (mmm...)

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I picked $60 in bulk nuts at Krogers. I can eat all kinds but cashews are my current go to nuts. I had ran out and not having them to crunch on was on thing that got me in trouble the last few days. :) I got burnt out of Macadamia nuts in this heat.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    While never diagnosed I believe I also have binge eating disorder. I have always struggled with hiding food. I could easily stop at 2 different fast food restaurants and get meals to eat while I was out of the house, then go home and eat a full meal with my family. That's just one of many examples. I've also used laxatives periodically since my teens but never consistently. I do feel so much better and more in control when eating low carb. I am hoping that making this change recently will help speed things up because I will binge less. Sadly, I gave in to 2 cookies after some sweet fruit this afternoon and now I can not stop thinking about stopping to get a couple of doughnuts on the way home. I'm going to have to call Hubby and talk to him for the whole ride home to keep myself from stopping.

I think that for me, I am just going to have to avoid trigger foods indefinitely. Best of luck to you, we're all here for one another.