Fasting after a cheat??

Options
Xo_healthylc
Xo_healthylc Posts: 77 Member
So I decided to have a cheat meal a week. Not a day or anything and to eat it with my usual fat food. So tonight I had a huge salad and a slice and a half of medium pizza. I still only consumed 67 total carbs today but it's more than my usual which I am trying to stay under 40ish. Anyways my question is does anyone fast after a cheat meal? How long? Any tips to feel better afterward. I've always heard to do a 16 hour fast (16:8) and drink LOTS of water.

Replies

• Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I have done fasting after a cheat until I just started incorporating IF everyday. It helps to feel better, I also suggest working out in fasting state to rid of extra glucose. I find that there are waves of hunger vs not so try not to give in and drink your fluids!
  • Xo_healthylc
    Xo_healthylc Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    Fasting is the fastest way to elevate ketones and thus get back into ketosis. This is a biochemical fact. HOWEVER, I agree with @Kirkor that programming the brain into thinking of fasting as a punishment won't help heal your relationship with food. Fasting is a tool, just like keto.

BUT...you said you "still only consumed 67 total carbs". How do you know you were even out of ketosis? Carb thresholds are INDIVIDUAL. Some may have to eat less, some can tolerate more (due to many factors).

Maybe you've put yourself into keto anxiety over nothing? It's a general advice from many keto researchers like Phinney to start with 50g carbs. Don't remember if he operates with NET or TOTAL numbers. Anybody knows?

Honestly I don't even know if I've ever been in Keto. I don't test or anything I'm think I might have as my net carbs are usually under 20. I honestly have read so much data and have a heard time understand the difference still. I've read the stickies and don't understand what the difference between Keto and LC. I know Keto means your body burns fat instead of carbs but does that mean if we aren't reaching Keto then we are just eating LC for the hunger aspect but it isn't doing anything "new" to our bodies so it's basically CICO with different foods?
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    It's a general advice from many keto researchers like Phinney to start with 50g carbs. Don't remember if he operates with NET or TOTAL numbers. Anybody knows?

Hi, @Foamroller. Always a pleasure!

Phinney, Volek, & Westman do use NET carbs in their rewrite of the Atkins diet (The New Atkins for a New You):
    The only carbs that matter when you do Atkins are Net Carbs, aka digestible carbs or impact carbs.

(I think the authors may have made some concessions for this book, however...)

• Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I find net carbs is a term that is a slippery slope into too many carbs for me. That is my experience with doing it net versus just straight up carbs. Those sugar alcohols are the ones that mess me up. Veggie fiber carbs are less impacting.

Eating 50g of veggie carbs is work. Sugar alcohols are easy to pile up.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    @Foamroller - FYI, in fact, Phinney and Volek seemed to agree in a joint interview that fiber need not be counted.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    @Foamroller - FYI, in fact, Phinney and Volek seemed to agree in a joint interview that fiber need not be counted.
  • DJPiP3
    DJPiP3 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I found this thread! A new coworker joined our company and in his honor we're doing a sushi eating contest. He selected me to be his eating partner and I was fretting about it as I have been in strict keto for 171 days. This thread made me realize it's not the end of the world. I'll do a fast and be back on track and not make it awkward for my new coworker!
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    ^^^LOL
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I've discovered, sadly i must say, that I will have to count sugar alcohols in the future. Or just don't eat them seems wiser. I always gain a few pounds after eating them, and I tried to ignore it, but bump that, those high calorie, high carb candies aren't worth it at all to me anymore.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    I've discovered, sadly i must say, that I will have to count sugar alcohols in the future. Or just don't eat them seems wiser. I always gain a few pounds after eating them, and I tried to ignore it, but bump that, those high calorie, high carb candies aren't worth it at all to me anymore.

Try a tumbler of sorbitol for breakfast, and see if you don't swear off the schidt for life?

(Clean House Tip: Don't give any to that pesky pooch of yours...)
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Try a tumbler of sorbitol for breakfast, and see if you don't swear off the schidt for life?

Your advice seems to be a bit on the devious side, what if I were that gullible? I'll just give this shot of sorbitol to the cat! ;)
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Is that what they put in the sugar free gummy bears?
  • RalfLott
    edited August 2016
    Options
    You can find it wherever laxatives are sold (but not labeled). :s
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    So, do not use on date night. Got it. Hahaha, I'm not sure I've ever actually had sorbitol (thank goodness, apparently).
  • Riche120
    Riche120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I usually go out to dinner at least once on the weekends and eat a few more carbs than usual. Since I usually try to go at least 16 hours without eating at least a few times a weeks, I just make sure that one of those days is after my "carbier" meal. I haven't had any problems yet, other than just feeling sluggish the morning after the higher carb meals (although that could be the drink with dinner.)
  • RalfLott
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Kimo159 wrote: »
    So, do not use on date night. Got it. Hahaha, I'm not sure I've ever actually had sorbitol (thank goodness, apparently).

All sorts of candies are laxatives in disguise; same with chewing gum and mints. Meanwhile, "no sugar added" ice cream, like Breyer's, still uses maltitol, another distinguished lubricant.

But how, o how? could a handful of cute gummy bears torpedo date night? (YMMV....)

There are other date night tips at http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10442885/i-have-discovered-what-the

Warning: NSFW