Bacon Grease

Options
sammyliftsandeats
sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
edited August 2016 in Social Groups
Hi guys!

So when I move into my new place, I will definitely have more cooking space and plan on keeping bacon grease on hand for my frying pan. What is the best way to store it?

Is a mason jar sufficient?

Do I need to skim off any of the little bits that may have broken off in my bacon cooking process? I usually bake mine in the oven at 400F for 13 minutes.

I usually would just dump the bacon grease into my pan and use it to cook whatever but sometimes I meal prep and make a big batch of bacon, and then I have loads of grease that I don't have a use for right away. But I really want to keep it.

Any tips/tricks would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Yummmm bacon grease! I have a big ole (recycled) spaghetti glass jar I have that I use to use up the drippings. I use it to cook up a lot of things, but mostly refried beans which I no longer eat ( :( ) but my family does. I never have to store it for long lol so i keep the little bits too
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I strain mine through a coffee filter and store in the fridge. A mason jar would be fine, I re-use other smaller glass jars too. Just make sure the jar is room temp or warmer when you fill it, or it might crack.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    genmon00 wrote: »
    Yummmm bacon grease! I have a big ole (recycled) spaghetti glass jar I have that I use to use up the drippings. I use it to cook up a lot of things, but mostly refried beans which I no longer eat ( :( ) but my family does. I never have to store it for long lol so i keep the little bits too

haha, mine is in a recycled Salsa jar :D
  • redkitten25
    redkitten25 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't strain, since I keep it in the fridge anyway. I pour it hot into a tempered glass jelly jar.
  • thelowcarblady
    thelowcarblady Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    my grandma's old southern way of storing it was in a mason jar, no straining, and leaving it on the counter right next to her butter only at room temperature. I've never seen it mold, but then again she used it often. I don't think it would hurt to keep it in the fridge though if you feel more comfortable.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    @redkitten25 my parents still have one of those tins on the back of the stove - and they're born and bred northwesterners lol.
  • redkitten25
    redkitten25 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful. I haven't seen one anywhere in years. I actually wouldn't mind finding an old one and just using it for bacon fat.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I'm with the above posters, I keep mine in a glass jar in the fridge. I don't strain mine.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Mine is in a container in the fridge - no straining. I cook in cast iron and I use it to season my pans after each use and of course to cook with in general. I wait til it cools then scrape it into my container because mine is in plastic.
  • Zenwenner
    Zenwenner Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    We're totally alike on this one @RowdysLady - I have a plastic container in the fridge, a really heavy duty thick one, and I don't strain bacon grease at all. I like when those tasty little bits help season a dish.

Same on the butter too - I can't STAND hard butter you have to scrape to use. No thanks! Mine stays in the cupboard, and no one has ever been sick from it. The only time it goes in the fridge is when the temperature gets up there and it starts to seem melty.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    I HATE butter I can't spread and no one has ever been sick from eating anything I make with it. Good to know I'm not alone.
    Zenwenner wrote: »
    Same on the butter too - I can't STAND hard butter you have to scrape to use. No thanks!/quote]

We're triplets!! There's nothing I hate worse than hard, cold, unspreadable butter just for sheer inconvenience!! lol I keep mine on the counter too. What's the point of having butter if you can't immediately spread it on something to make that food item even more delicious?!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Yep, butter in the dish and on the counter! No hard butter for me! Bacon grease is not strained but kept refrigerated!

Love your picture @auntstephie321 !! It's beautiful!!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    @Shadowmf023 Aw... I can so relate. My Mom passed away 9 years ago. My Dad 8 years ago. I have many things from their home but one I cherish most-the salt and pepper shakers that sat on their table and they used everyday. One could buy the same thing today @ Walmart for $1.49 but they would be my parent's.
  • petunia773
    petunia773 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    my grandma's old southern way of storing it was in a mason jar, no straining, and leaving it on the counter right next to her butter only at room temperature. I've never seen it mold, but then again she used it often. I don't think it would hurt to keep it in the fridge though if you feel more comfortable.

My real butter sits on the counter too - people always look at me weird because they think it will spoil. I HATE butter I can't spread and no one has ever been sick from eating anything I make with it. Good to know I'm not alone.

My butter always sits out on the counter...I also HATE cold/hard butter that doesn't spread. Granted, I don't make toast anymore, but still. :)