Ice cream

Options
blacktie347
blacktie347 Posts: 109 Member
Folks, I've just tried Halo Top, which is a brand of low-calorie, low-carb ice cream. 16 net grams of carbs per pint, from what I've seen, and usually between 240 - 280 calories per pint. It tastes really good, and I'm continuing to lose while on it.

It's not high fat, though, so that is not great - it's only moderately high in fat, like 18 calories out of 60 calories, per serving, from fat. It's maybe 30% fat.

However, I just wanted to share that this is an amazing treat and I love it.

One more caveat - it has sugar alcohol in it, which can have a laxative effect if consumed in excess. But other than these relatively mild issues, I think it's a great addition to a LCHF diet! Just thought I'd share with ya'll :)

One last thing - I have found that it's available at Whole Foods. YMMV.

Replies

• vonne23
    vonne23 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I founded this ice cream and it was worth every red cent. Thank you for this post. Tried Lemon cake. Think I'll try Birthday cake next :smile:
  • thelowcarblady
    thelowcarblady Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you knew this already or if it was taken into account when calculating net carbs, but make sure you subtract and fiber and sugar alcohols (not simply sugar, has to be alcohols) and that is actually your net carb. Lots of people don't know that sugar alcohols can also be subtracted if they are in the product.... *rainbow* THE MORE YOU KNOW *rainbow* ;)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Often, it is recommended to count half of the sugar alcohol content as net carbs. However, since Halo Top uses Erythritol, which has a nearly zero food energy (0.23 kcal), it can safely be counted as zero. Remember though, not all sugar alcohols are the same, and there are some that actually have higher FE, and cause a higher BG response than even table sugar.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    It gave me gastric distress....so sad, as it's so delicious....
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I bought this little thing on clearance at home goods for 7 dollars. Mix some hwc with whatever, stir it up and you have your very own bowl of ice cream.

http://www.zokuhome.com/collections/ice-cream/products/ice-cream-maker
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    sigh...it's still not in stores here...but I do have my own kitchen aid ice cream maker...why don't I use it? I don't know...
  • Rainqueen77
    Rainqueen77 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    My daughter gets Bryer's Carb Smart at Walmart. http://smartlabel.breyers.com/product/2749323/nutrition
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    My daughter gets Bryer's Carb Smart at Walmart. http://smartlabel.breyers.com/product/2749323/nutrition

Keep in mind, that uses Sorbitol, which should be counted as 0.5-0.6 net, and not zero, as it has an FE of 2.6.
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I have been buying North Star lactose free Vanilla Caramel Latte Bars! Yummy! They have Chocolate and Vanilla, Raspberry and a chocolate fudge bar too. Ingredients not so great sounding, but they do taste good. 16 yo LOVES them. If you just have to have that quick fix
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    They have 7 or 8 g of carbs per bar
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I bought this little thing on clearance at home goods for 7 dollars. Mix some hwc with whatever, stir it up and you have your very own bowl of ice cream.

Homemade low carb ice cream is definitely one of this thing I go out of my way to make because it is so good and so superior to anything I've found in stores so far. Today is my mother's birthday so for her birthday present, I made up a batch of low carb black forest ice cream. I make ice cream at least once a month, sometimes more often depending on how quickly we go through a batch!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    sigh...it's still not in stores here...but I do have my own kitchen aid ice cream maker...why don't I use it? I don't know...

There's a new Wegman's here (the only reason I know about it is because my company paved their parking lot), and that appears to be the only place within 40 miles that stocks it. Think I am going to give a pint of the Mint Chip a go today, and see how it is. I'm less concerned about the sugar intake today, since I'll be combining bench and squats at the gym in a couple of hours. I feel like it's going to be terrible and I'm going to hate it, but after hearing so many good things, I am at least mildly curious.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »

Homemade low carb ice cream is definitely one of this thing I go out of my way to make because it is so good and so superior to anything I've found in stores so far. Today is my mother's birthday so for her birthday present, I made up a batch of low carb black forest ice cream. I make ice cream at least once a month, sometimes more often depending on how quickly we go through a batch!

very nice, can you share the recipe. I have a full size ice cream maker but I cant seem to get he thing to make good creamy ice cream. my boyfriend is an ice cream fiend, doesn't help we live down the rd from one of the largest ice cream plants in the northeast either. so the local grocer always has it on sale. he buys some nearly everyday. would be nice to know exactly what is in it and make whenever we want. I make my own single serving one when I want some, but I'm not as big an ice cream eater as he is
  • auntstephie321
    Options

There's a new Wegman's here (the only reason I know about it is because my company paved their parking lot), and that appears to be the only place within 40 miles that stocks it. Think I am going to give a pint of the Mint Chip a go today, and see how it is. I'm less concerned about the sugar intake today, since I'll be combining bench and squats at the gym in a couple of hours. I feel like it's going to be terrible and I'm going to hate it, but after hearing so many good things, I am at least mildly curious.

I saw it at wegmans the other day, almost bought some but couldn't justify in my mind the cost, it was something like 5.49 for a pint. that was too much for me at that moment.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

I saw it at wegmans the other day, almost bought some but couldn't justify in my mind the cost, it was something like 5.49 for a pint. that was too much for me at that moment.

Apparently I live in the land of the cheapest food in the US or something. I get avocados for like 0.88 per, eggs for 0.78 per dozen, and the Halo Top here is sold for barely over $4 per pint. I see a lot of posts by people in various places, quoting prices that are near double (and sometimes more) than what I see.
  • auntstephie321
    Options

Apparently I live in the land of the cheapest food in the US or something. I get avocados for like 0.88 per, eggs for 0.78 per dozen, and the Halo Top here is sold for barely over $4 per pint. I see a lot of posts by people in various places, quoting prices that are near double (and sometimes more) than what I see.

lucky. I'm in NY, not even downstate though, but traditionally our stuff is more expensive
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    [quote="ladipoet;37352106" I made up a batch of low carb black forest ice cream. [/quote]

This sounds DELICIOUS! Do you have a recipe that you can share?

• Yocum1219
    Yocum1219 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I would love an ice cream option! One of those foods I just always enjoyed that I miss!
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Re Halo Top (too expensive in my area, plus a 30 mile drive) I've read elsewhere that you must let it soften up a bit to be tasty. Just sayin....
  • starbean
    starbean Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've been making a chocolate coconut milk ice cream that's really good, it just needs to defrost for a while before you can eat it. I would like to make a dairy one, but without an ice cream maker, I'm hesitant.

The coconut recipe is ridiculously easy. Take a can of full fat coconut milk, dump in a blender with a heaping 1/2 C cocoa powder, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 20 drops liquid stevia, and 1/8 (or 1/4?) of xanthan gum. Blend, pour, freeze. I like to pour into 4 little containers to make the melting go faster. It's like a nice pudding as it melts.