Binge eating disorder and low carb.....

Options
2»

Replies

• yuggybuggy
    yuggybuggy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I also have binge eating disorder, and like some others have said, its nice to know we are not alone in this struggle

I didn't have a problem as a child as food was carefully controlled by adults
    but it got a lot harder after I went to uni and beyond

I have done the hiding chocolate around the house thing, comforted in the knowledge that it was there for me to run to

now living alone is not the greatest thing as there is no one to even catch me at it
    I even bought proper flowery shopping bags so people wouldn't see the contents of my shopping when I walked home

I do think some of it is sugar addiction, and the beginning of turning things around for me was when I realised one day that my need for 'that biscuit', however desperate, was nothing compared to the need of the second one

I do find eating low carbs has made my battle with bingeing a bit easier, and when things are too much I am afraid i sometimes turn to other self destructive tactics, to avoid the food

food still frightens me
    it is a huge trigger
    and i hate it when people say - oh just have one - oh you need a treat now and again - oh don't become so obsessive dah dah dah dah

they have no idea how big and fast that slippery slope is for me

my only wish now, is that this low carb eating would give me the energy that sugar seems to

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    yuggybuggy wrote: »
    I realised one day that my need for 'that biscuit', however desperate, was nothing compared to the need of the second one

food still frightens me
    it is a huge trigger
    and i hate it when people say - oh just have one - oh you need a treat now and again - oh don't become so obsessive dah dah dah dah

they have no idea how big and fast that slippery slope is for me

Thanks for your vivid and memorable insights.

Dr. Bernstein often warns diabetics that the danger of having 'that biscuit' is not the transient blip on the glucose/insulin radar, but rather the sad truth that where the human species is concerned, the first embrace of temptation is rarely the last.

It may have been Dr. Phinney who compared diet deviations to taking a step off the top of a sand dune and winding up halfway down the hill. It's not much work to stay on top once you've finally gotten there, but it takes a lot of it to trudge back up.

Good luck with the energy part. It does take several weeks of continuous ketosis to adapt to the change, and there's a reason folks are constantly searching for a better BPC formula....
  • RalfLott
    Options
    tattoomary wrote: »
    I currently reading a book that Id like to recommend its called 'The Hear and Now Habit' my favourite quote in it is 'How I live this moment is how I live my life'. It's about being mindfull in 'this' moment dont worry about the pat or the future. So for this moment I will not eat sugar ;)

That sounds like a good antidote to "future me" thinking (such as, "the future me will spend an entire day cleaning the garage").

• yuggybuggy
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I think there are different issues
    I certainly have or had a sugar addiction, which is forever poised to bite me

but my binge eating disorder is also in addition to this
    it is emotionally based and triggered
    it is NOTHING to do with liking food or wanting lots
    it is not pleasurable it is bloody torture

I agree 'daylitemag' re. not being able to 'give food up'

at my mh unit they ran a 'stop smoking' group but when I asked for them to run a 'stop eating' group the psychologist just laughed and said "you cant stop eating"
    my response was - EXACTLY - I CAN'T and I don't see why smokers should get help but people like me cant

I think its the hardest thing, since we HAVE to eat, we cant cut food out completely, so everyday is a challenge and everyday is a battle and everyday is scary
  • RalfLott
    edited August 2016
    Options
    There does seem to be research into the addiction part of it, though pot-bellied Dr. Phil hasn't written a book about it, and Dr. Oz has not yet cooked up a Food Addiction Diet to serve the masses.
    RECENT FINDINGS:
    Recent work on food use disorders has demonstrated that the same neurobiological pathways that are implicated in drug abuse also modulate food consumption, and that the body's regulation of food intake involves a complex set of peripheral and central signaling networks. Moreover, new research indicates that rats can become addicted to certain foods, that men and women may respond differently to external food cues, and that the intrauterine environment may significantly impact a child's subsequent risk of developing obesity, diabetes, and hypercholesterolemia.

SUMMARY:
    First, work presented in this review strongly supports the notion that food addiction is a real phenomenon. Second, although food and drugs of abuse act on the same central networks, food consumption is also regulated by peripheral signaling systems, which adds to the complexity of understanding how the body regulates eating, and of treating pathological eating habits. Third, neurobiological research reviewed here indicates that traditional pharmacological and behavioral interventions for other substance-use disorders may prove useful in treating obesity.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20495452 (2010)

• elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    After a year or so of determined ferocious adherence to keto and significant weight loss, something changed.
    Some hoped for result was not realized, some empty void not filled and for a half year or so I am at the mercy of the binge beast...fighting it daily but so far losing that battle in a big way.
    I have no answers for stopping or healing this situation and I feel that I try everything I can to get a handle on it.
    I also have decided to continue to keep to my keto or LC woe as best as I can every day, regardless of success or defeat. New day, clean slate. But this doesn't mean that I escape the pain, humiliation, loss of self control, embarrassment, etc. that each binge brings.
    I don't understand it, maybe never will, but I know that I have this disorder and have had it for 50 of my 60 years, in one form or another at differing times of my life.
    All I seem to be able to do with it is just keep on trying and hope that I can eventually put together more sane weeks than binge weeks.
    And then ride that wave for as long as I can.
  • KetoTheKingdom
    KetoTheKingdom Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Having worked in restaurants, it's no stretch to imagine off-label preparation of even the most tempting carb-bombs.....

Such as sugar and flour in soups and sauces?

I saw a "healthy choice" wrap in the hospital cafeteria last week. The tortilla was 29g of net carbs, but the description used the term, "low carb wrap."
  • yuggybuggy
    Options
    elize7 - that is what concerns me, too
    I have been 'working on my weight' since January and have had quite a few lapses back into lots of bingeing, and many smaller binges
    but I am really scared of it all totally caving
    I don't want to put that weight back on, I am so sure of that
    but when it gets triggered in your head it is SUCH a battle

at mh unit we are working through a book/treatment for binge eating disorder
    it has several steps
    the first is to log everything you eat/drink - when, where, what was happening, if it was a binge or not

after a few weeks of that - ADD a planned timetable of meals, and snacks
    the idea being that when lunging for food you can hold out until then next TIME slot !!!!

cant remember the rest
    oh how bad is that, will find book and write more if you or anyone is interested xx
  • RalfLott
    Options
    @yuggybuggy -

Please do! It would be a genuine community service.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Interested in hearing more. Just yesterday I changed my diary settings from one long category of "Food" to a more structured Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, "I'm Hungry" (which is what the diary entries were in my losing phase).

Since starting LCHF, I was feeling nicely satiated but the "hungries" have returned and I have been finding myself in an all day "graze". I'm feeling a need for more structure.
  • yuggybuggy
    Options
    ok, I think I probably should start another thread for this
    I am VERY happy to help anyone, if I can
  • MDAPebbles67
    MDAPebbles67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the amazingly honest posts. I have had a binge eating disorder most of my life. Sometimes I conquer it, mostly it conquers me. My latest binge/emotional eating cycle has lasted about 2 years and cost a regain of over 50 lbs.

I had lost 80 lbs over 4 years using the Primal Blueprint. It took that long due to periodic binges holding me back. Even when I have success, I am never far from the edge. My low of 199 came in June 2014. I have been a mess since.

At this point, I simply want to be mentally and physically healthy even if I am never "thin".
    My only advice would be if you slip, get back on clean eating quickly. If you let the disordered eating become a habit it is much harder to stop.

I also agree with those that say total avoidance of processed carbs is best.

Thanks for the inspiration to keep trying.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Well, this thread is turning out to be very topical for me. At the end of this last week I fell down the biggest bingehole since I started eating LCHF last December. I'm pretty sure I'll be dealing with these impulses the rest of my life. The difference, though, is that I don't have them as often now, its been 8 months since I've eaten like this. I've had a few cheats along the way, but to call this a cheat would a serious understatement. I managed to get back on track after a couple of days though, whereas in the past, my weight loss would have been derailed for weeks or months.

I feel like I finally have the tools to refocus myself now. I've gone back down to 10-20 carbs and Im not stressing about calories right now, while I'm fighting these binge urges. Because I'm not hungry and I don't feel deprived, I have the strength to fight the mental side of my food addiction.
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I can relate to everyone's post about hiding food, candy binges, food pushing co-workers and knowing that that first bite of bread is like stepping off a cliff. So my solution is like @RalfLott 's... thinking of forbidden foods as "trash". I do want to keep my feet!