Bacon Grease

Options
2»

Replies

• PamamaJane
    PamamaJane Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I do strain my bacon grease with one of those fine mesh strainers. After finding some recipes for things like this spinach salad, I don't really keep the bacon grease long enough for it to go bad.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I do keep my butter in the fridge, but that's because A: I really don't use it fast enough, B: this apartment complex has serious ant issues, and C: I don't spread butter, but when the need arises for softened butter, it usually needs to be completely liquid, so it will end up having to be popped in the microwave for a few seconds anyway.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I keep my butter in the cupboard. When left on the counter, the dear cat helps himself.

My bacon grease is strained and kept in the fridge in an old aluminum measuring cup.

@RowdysLady I have the old Joy of Cooking cookbook also. The last copyright date in mine is 1946 so I believe it to be the 3rd edition. It has no mention of wartime rationing, mention of streamline rationing. No mention of a blender. It has 1 hand written recipe that I recognize to be Grandma's handwriting. I so wish I had kept more of my Grandma's and Mom's cookbooks. They're so interesting to read.
  • anewlifeat40
    anewlifeat40 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Well, I wanted to comment on the butter. When I was a little girl, my mom use to put butter into a glass container specially made for butter also outside the fridge.

I recently rediscovered said glass container, and put my butter in it. For some reason, this gives me such a warm, emotional feeling of home and brings back many memories of making school sandwiches! (You know, when I still ate real bread, Lol).

My mom died the year I finished high school (5 years ago), and anything that brings back a memory of her and that time is just awesome. :tongue: I stopped eating butter 5 years ago, until now that is

Ahh how some household items become sentimental. Lol

I have my mom's old metal colander and I think of her every time I use it. Love that thing, dents included!

As for the bacon grease... I bake my bacon on a pan too, pour it straight from the pan into a mason jar, then store in fridge. Can't be bothered to strain it, and there's not that much "bits" in it anyway... ;)
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    I store my bacon fat in a small bowl on top of the stove. I believe that rendered saturated fat is stable at theoomnn
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    I HATE butter I can't spread and no one has ever been sick from eating anything I make with it. Good to know I'm not alone.
    Zenwenner wrote: »
    Same on the butter too - I can't STAND hard butter you have to scrape to use. No thanks!/quote]

We're triplets!! There's nothing I hate worse than hard, cold, unspreadable butter just for sheer inconvenience!! lol I keep mine on the counter too. What's the point of having butter if you can't immediately spread it on something to make that food item even more delicious?!

Nay! QUADRUPLETS!!!!!!
  • IowaHomeGirl
    IowaHomeGirl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My mom used to keep a big grease can with a strainer lid (embossed with the word "Grease" on the side even) on top of the stove. Any thing she fried in, whether it was bacon grease or Crisco went back in and was recycled after every fried meal (unless it was fish, because that made the grease taste fishy). Ah, the South in the 70s. Anyone else remember those cans?

There was an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond where Frank took Marie's grease can because he needed it for change. I remember her description of all the bacon and pancetta she cooked and strained so she could make meals for Frank.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    pce3cydxyudi.jpeg

Stored next to stove, unfiltered. Bacon crumbs added bonus :)

>:) or o:)
  • aserrano79
    aserrano79 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Go to eBay and type in grease jar:) also butter bell. These are a few of my favorite things!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    LOL You all are way higher class than me. We use old cans. Strip off the label, wash it, and good to go.

Right now it is an old coconut cream can. It will last about a month, on the stove, and then I'll start another and throw out the old can. I never strain so the bottom gets... meaty.Once it builds up to much, it gets chucked out.

And butter is on the stove too in a glass tupperware style dish.
  • Brigit723
    Brigit723 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    Mine is in a container in the fridge - no straining. I cook in cast iron and I use it to season my pans after each use and of course to cook with in general. I wait til it cools then scrape it into my container because mine is in plastic.

Is there a way to clean cast iron that you would recommend? Previous tenant in my house left one and I would love to use it but judging by the condition of the house when I got the key...it needs cleaned. So many mixed opinions online.

As for the bacon grease, I strain and recycle jars to store in the fridge too. I'd love to leave it on the counter but I live in the swamp, no matter how much I strain, it would mold or go rancid.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Yep I strain out whatever and store in the fridge in a mason jar. It's a thing of beauty!

tods9y28eqo8.jpg

I have that same mason jar for the same purpose but mine isn't as strained. I like the little bits.

I bake most of my bacon in the oven at 325, unless I am just throwing down 4-6 slices and then using the fat immediately for eggs, spinach, whatever.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I do keep my butter in the fridge, but that's because A: I really don't use it fast enough, B: this apartment complex has serious ant issues, and C: I don't spread butter, but when the need arises for softened butter, it usually needs to be completely liquid, so it will end up having to be popped in the microwave for a few seconds anyway.

Echoing this about butter.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I have to hide my bacon grease in a cabinet so hubs won't find it. He thinks it's gross. He doesn't even like the idea of me cooking with it at all. Even though all the times he's been most complimentary of his veggies, they were cooked in it!
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I used to use a Mason jar until one day it slide off the counter while emptied get the grease from my pants. Not only grease everywhere, but interspersed with broken glass. No bueno. I found an awesome stainless steel one on amazon that has a strainer top and pour spout. It's brilliant.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I have been debating buying a grease jar with incorporated straining. I got VERY close yesterday but I decided Amazon has earned enough money from me this week (I have a serious addiction to Amazon!). I'm going to start using a mason jar and a mesh strainer for now.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    My mom used to keep a big grease can with a strainer lid (embossed with the word "Grease" on the side even) on top of the stove. Any thing she fried in, whether it was bacon grease or Crisco went back in and was recycled after every fried meal (unless it was fish, because that made the grease taste fishy). Ah, the South in the 70s. Anyone else remember those cans?

For my 1st Christmas as a married woman I received one of these as my Christmas gift from my husband (we were seriously poor and had to borrow $20 to buy Christmas for each other LOL). Used it for years.....
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I don't strain mine, but I do keep it in the refrigerator - which makes it harden up and easier to scoop anyway