When compliments stop and criticism starts

Options
2»

Replies

• supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Ditto the above.
    I am an "older person" and I do not feel entitled to say whatever I please, but I do understand that some do so. Take it with a grain of salt. ;)
  • CaliforniaAJ
    CaliforniaAJ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thanks edampu! That is so very kind of you to say <3
  • 805_blondie
    805_blondie Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    First of all, I want to offer you a big congratulations on your healthy life and achieving the extremely difficult task of losing a tremendous amount of weight and getting fit.
    I think a lot of people are much more comfortable when you're fat because they don't have to look inward when they know you're flawed too. When you do something positive, it makes them uncomfortable because they are forced to face their inadequacies every time they see you. These are just people who are insecure and jealous that you were able to achieve something they can't. I see this dynamic with my aunt and my mom with my aunt trying to sabotage my mom. I personally don't understand not being sincerely happy when the people you love better their lives. You just need to take it for what it is and just let it go, it's just their insecurities surfacing. There are plenty of people that are truly happy for you.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I got (and still get) the same things on a regular basis. I started at 265, and just recently hit a weight and bodyfat where I am turning around for a lean bulk (150). As always, I just chalk this up to the distorted perception of normality that our society is developing. As the world widens, those who resist will be the strange ones. This is especially true for those of us who were once...rather robust.

I ran across an article a few years ago about the widening of America. Did you know that medical equipment (wheelchairs, operating tables, X-ray machines, etc.) is being redesigned to cope with patients who are too big for the same equipment that's been in use for decades?

Not surprisingly, coffins are also available in much larger sizes than in the past.

• KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    First, the success of the OP and hubby is amazing!!! I learned a phrase years ago that fits your situation with relatives, and anyone else remarking : Criticism and discontent are a sign of success" (you annoy them, they chafe!)....it is human nature to be petty..we would never look at a 6'4" person and say "You're too tall" but personal comments from the point of "concern" are allowed?

The fact that most people believe in "low calorie diet plus exercise" which fails US 99% of time, as the only 'healthy way' is fixed in their minds, and taught by our nutritional system.

Mandycat- considering 73% of Americans are now overweight with fully half of that number at "obese" is the reason why products, coffins, exam gowns are huge. Remember when exam gowns were made for size 12 and under? Tight sleeves, won't close in front or back? At least there is consideration for the patient.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Most people are overweight

Losing weight and getting in shape makes many of them uncomfortable

Haters gonna hate

Just keep off the weight!!

• LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    @CaliforniaAJ

I've lost maybe 12-14 pounds since beginning this LcHf and am 5'1", so have heard everything that was said to you - all of it- and the words were not from one relative, all "friends" ---- think that people have to get used to how we look now.
    My former size was an 8 ( tight but hey, they were size 8) and now am a comfy size 4.

Stay the course, weighing less is great for knees, hips, health & esp for the world.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I got (and still get) the same things on a regular basis. I started at 265, and just recently hit a weight and bodyfat where I am turning around for a lean bulk (150). As always, I just chalk this up to the distorted perception of normality that our society is developing. As the world widens, those who resist will be the strange ones. This is especially true for those of us who were once...rather robust.

I ran across an article a few years ago about the widening of America. Did you know that medical equipment (wheelchairs, operating tables, X-ray machines, etc.) is being redesigned to cope with patients who are too big for the same equipment that's been in use for decades?

Not surprisingly, coffins are also available in much larger sizes than in the past.

It gets even worse than that. The article I am about to link is VERY NSFW, and shows you just how disgustingly out of hand this has gotten on the medical front.
    http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2014/10/your-fat-is-unequivocally-your-fault-5.html

A quotation from the very end from an RN friend of the author:
    "It would be awesome, but nigh impossible, to find data re: money / hours / productivity lost secondary to obesity. E.g., some patients have to be manually turned, side to side every 2 hours, while in bed. For a normal sized person that takes one or two RNs. For a walrus it takes 4 or 5 (or more). Every two hours. For a normal pt it takes only 1 RN to insert a foley catheter. Fatties = 4 or more: one each to hold the legs back/open, 1 or 2 to hold back the pannus, 1 to aim the flashlight, and 1 to insert.Bigger wheelchairs, bigger beds, bigger bed sheets, more medication (antibiotics are fire weight-based)"
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Change is a threat to small-minded people.

I couldn't agree more.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm just sorry that happened to you and your OH. That reminds me of my mother and her superficial beauty standards. I'm sure we all have a few of those...keep your chin up, and maybe develop an attitude? Like..mmmhmmm, girl you know we look good! Then prance away, booty switching? :D
    This is my favorite answer! I'm so doing this if/when I experience this again.