My dr refused to do surgery because of my a1c- but it's been the best thing for me

Options
cimarrona27
cimarrona27 Posts: 97 Member
I was scheduled to have abdononoplasty July 13. When my dr got my pre op labs (3weeks prior) he told me that because my a1c was a 9.2 I was too high risk.

Now I'm sharing this for a few reasons- which I will get into shortly. I just want to give some background.

In 2007 I got gestational diabetes and was diagnosed at 30 weeks. I was in oral meds and did ok with my diet. In 2013 at 9 weeks pregnant I was sooooo sick and asked them to check my glucose. They informed me they didn't do that until 30 weeks. I convinced them to test me anyway and at week 10 I was told that my glucose was at "dangerous" levels and that I had probably developed type two in the 7 years between, but I was never tested.

I was put on bed rest a few weeks later and forced to leave my job (teaching) because I was so ill. Over the course of my pregnancy I was on four different types of insulin and they wanted to put me on a pump, but I felt like that would be giving in and giving up. I was crazy careful with my diet- I didn't want to put my baby at risk. At 7 months I was flown flight for life because I was hypertensive. I was put on oxygen 24/7 and that seemed to help and they sent me him. 5 weeks later I had my daughter. She was 10.1 pounds and because of my uncontrolled diabetes, she had to be flown flight for life to spend 12 days in NICU because she could not regulate her blood sugar. The last 19 days of my pregnancy I gained 24 pounds due to sever water retention.

My daughter turned two in June. I was determined to fix the damage to my abs and get rid of the excess skin... I was just waiting until I was two years post partum.

When my doctor said I was too high risk- it devastated me. I had a plan!

In many ways my plan was a short cut for discipline and hard work.

Since then, I had been monitoring, monitoring, monitoring. My BG continued to be crazy high. 220-400 range. I ran out of strips the last week in July and was going to wait until I got paid on the 30th to get more. (The ones I had were expired- didn't plan on running out) Well- life happened and I waited to order them until last week.

I've had MFP for years, but never really utilized it, never tried the community, didn't use macros. The last two weeks I have been working out, tracking my food, and more importantly my carbs.

My strips came in yesterday and when I checked my post meal BG it was 125!!! And that is without Metformin (which I am on, but the dr needs to ok my refill and he is out of town or something- small town)

So- my Dr telling me that I was too high risk pushed me to push myself.

BUT... I just called them and canceled my surgery. I have come to the realization that this is going to be a long term journey and one that I am going to do for my health. Not to lower my a1c enough for surgery- and then keep doing what I was doing before the surgery.

I will get the surgery, but it will be when I have developed the skills and lifestyle to be healthy.

My goals are to be medication free and active for the rest of my life. That means LCHF and getting my body moving.

I'm excited and motivated about my new way of eating and activity. That is not something I anticipated two months ago.

I'm going to use the money that was going to pay for my surgery to pay off our cruise and the rest will be put away for when I think I'm ready. At this point I'm ok with it being a year or even two from now.

I have found that this group has been a huge part of my motivation to keep going. So- thank you!!

Replies

• Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you!!
  • thelowcarblady
    thelowcarblady Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    awesome for you!!! Great way to go about it!
  • Kiwi_Billings
    Kiwi_Billings Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    What a fantastic story! Thanks for sharing. It is, indeed, a journey. Continued good luck to you!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've had a solid realization that will carry you through long term success! Congrats!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    YeeHaw!! You should copy and share on the NSV's thread too. WTG!
  • cimarrona27
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Thank you. What is NSV?
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Thank you. What is NSV?

Non Scale Victory <3
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I will get the surgery, but it will be when I have developed the skills and lifestyle to be healthy.

My goals are to be medication free and active for the rest of my life. That means LCHF and getting my body moving.

I'm excited and motivated about my new way of eating and activity. That is not something I anticipated two months ago.

I'm going to use the money that was going to pay for my surgery to pay off our cruise and the rest will be put away for when I think I'm ready. At this point I'm ok with it being a year or even two from now.

I have found that this group has been a huge part of my motivation to keep going. So- thank you!!

Awesome sauce!! So happy that you doing this for your HEALTH and that is the best reason to keep it going! I plan to join you to be MED FREE and active for life! :)

• MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    This is wonderful!! What an inspiration you are, and what a fantastic example you are setting for your children! :)
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    the abdominoplasty is corrective or elective? tummy tuck?
  • cimarrona27
    Options
    Corrective for my abs but it's not covered by my insurance. Elective for the skin.
  • bensnj
    bensnj Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You certainly have prioritized your goals thoughtfully and wisely. An improved diet and exercise routine
    Will certainly reap health benefits.....you've got this !!! There is nothing more rewarding than seeing those A1C numbers start to decline, but it does take a lot o f hard work and perseverance. You have
    your eye on the "prize" and will be ready to go when the time is right. I'll be looking for "progress"
    reports from you AND genmomOO.........yeah !!!!
  • cimarrona27
    Options
    Thanks! I will keep you all posted. It will hold me accountable and remind me why I'm doing this when I need it.

Birthday is next week- it will be the first time I ask NOT to have a cake. Lol. I love carrot cake.

I'm a steak girl all the way though- so looking forward to that. And maybe some stuffed jalapeños. ;)

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Wow! Everything happens for a reason, ya know? I think it is your time to shine!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I think you've set an awesome goal for yourself!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Great job. My light bulb did not come on until I was 63 years old. Two years later it is still shining brightly and I have less pain than in the last 40 years.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Amazing and inspiring!