Anyone else on 1200 a day?

Options

Replies

• HeidiLynnM
    Options
    Add me!!!!!!!!!!! I am on the 1,200 CAL diet..............Add me :O)
  • heatherlh83
    heatherlh83 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1270/day to lose 1/2 pound a week. (I'm 5'0 tall and weigh 125) The only way I can stay full on so few calories is by eating completely healthy foods. One serving of junk and I'm starving later because there aren't enough calories left for something more filling.
  • tikanique
    tikanique Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    my MFP goal is 1400 calories a day but i'm averaging around 1180 calories a day and it's bothering me. I know I need to get more food in but I'm not really hungry. I'm not stuffed either. I need to plan my food better.....
  • jennyjo79
    jennyjo79 Posts: 95 Member
    Options

Okay ... I'm going to sound like a dumba**, but what does TDEE stand for?

I have lost 55lbs in the past from WW and kept it off. I have about 12 more lbs I'd like to lose. MFP currently has me at 1200 calories a day, but I am not losing (much). I've noticed I actually see more of a loss after the weekend, when I allow myself a little higher amnt of calories. So apparently I need to up my calories it seems.

I checked my BMR and found it is 1310. I typically exercise 5 days a week for an hour ... give or take. So I should at least be eating 1310 to lose weight? Is that correct?

Its how many calories you burn a day. If you eat above TDEE you gain.
    If you eat below, you lose!
    Simple!

1310 would be bmr. to get tdee (or maintenance) here is what you do:
    If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

then if you want to lose, a good recommendation is multiply TDEE times 0.8 that is a 20% reduction from maintenance.

so for me... my bmr is 1200 approximately. i exercise about 5 times a week so i would multiply by 1.55 = 1860. that would be approximately my maintenance calories. if i'm trying to lose i'd take the 1860 times 0.8 = (1488) to get a safe number of calories i can eat and lose at a healthy pace.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ... thank you (and helloitsdan) SO much for taking the time to explain this! It makes sense. I just cannot believe how many calories it says I should be eating though! MFP had me on a 1200 calorie plan and whenI calculate this out it gives me about 1440! That seems like so much!
  • joandhan
    Options
    i started today, i thought id been really good on diet today, but i have already exceeded my 1200 limit, and im hungry. was hopeing to have a nite cap tonite too. maybe i better not. groan!
  • mom2jjl
    Options
    BUMP FOR LATER
  • Aphreal
    Aphreal Posts: 103
    Options
    Yep, I think a lot of ladies go for that since it's the least recommended for women. I do OK on it but upped mine to 1300 which is still a little less than what MFP recommended. I do better on that.
  • chav001
    chav001 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi yeah i am too on 1200 a day i thought just the same. I have only been doing this for 4 days and it is hard to start off with but you soon get into tracking and thinking about what you are eating. I am also exercising walking 3-4 times a day for about 30 mins at 3.5 brisk walk and getting around 400 extra calories. I am trying not to go into them but been having around 1250 a day.. you will get there good luck...
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    That's what I thought when I started, too. So I increased my calories to 1440. I didn't lose any weight. Then I increased my exercise, and ate back most of my exercise calories. I still didn't lose any weight.

I switched back to the 1200, exercise every day, eat back *most* of my exercise calories. I started to lose weight. I think the key is making sure you eat enough fresh fruit and veg and lean protein while exercising everyday--even if it is just a little bit.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Basing your expected weight loss on an archaic mathematical formula is like buying a new car and then complaining that you don't get the exact gas mileage the sticker said you would.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Its amazing what happens when we add proper nutrients and fuel to our bodies.
    For most, eating too low will help with overall weight loss but once you get to maintenance, RMR is low and youll have to fight to maintain.
    This way its more gradual and easy when you get to goal.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Anything less is NOT starvation. Stop believing the hype and so some actual research on a reputable site (this is not such a site -- it is a collection of lay people giving their opinions the same with all message boards).
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Anything less is NOT starvation. Stop believing the hype and so some actual research on a reputable site (this is not such a site -- it is a collection of lay people giving their opinions the same with all message boards).

Yes. And if people who have never become overweight or have successfully lost and maintained weight losses tell you that they had to eat 1200 or less maybe you should believe them.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    tried. doesn't work in the long run.
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Me...and have been consistent with it for over a year and do not feel deprived at all. In fact, there are days that I struggle to eat all of the calories.

No, I am not in starvation mode...

What works for one may not work for another.

This is working for me and I feel great!

Wishing you great success in your journey to a new you!:flowerforyou:
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Most days I am content eating 1200, but allow my self to go up to 1400-1500 if I'm hungry, especially when working out.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    it does seem like enough (when you eat the right food, salads, lean protein...)
    but sometimes i wonder WHY do i need so much food. currently i am on around 2000.
  • MrsSassyPants
    MrsSassyPants Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Put in 1 pound or .5 a week and give yourself some breathing room. You don't have to eat more. But you can if you are hungry.
    Exercise will add in some cals. for you.
  • speediejane
    speediejane Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    on 1200 for a week to shock body for result,the increase cals
  • taylor0204
    taylor0204 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I have been eating 1,200 calories since Jan. I run 5 days a week so I always had additional calories I could consume if I chose to. I hit a weight loss plateau in Jun and have decided to increase my calories to 1,350 beginning this week. Hoping to jump start my metabolism.