Anyone else on 1200 a day?

Options

Replies

• BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I hover around 1,200, but the only way I can really maintain it is if I am eating nutrient rich foods. If I don't eat a variety (mainly if I only eat carbs) it will turn out horribly. I've lost 31 pounds sticking between 1,200-1,400. I usually try not to eat my exercise calories though, but it depends on how hungry I am haha.
  • scoyne999
    scoyne999 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm on 1200 cals a day and can't exercise yet due to a rib injury and so far, so good. I drink TONS of green tea throughout the day (8 cups or so, caffeine free) and not only is it good for me but it also helps with the hunger pangs. Good luck!
  • Xoe4
    Xoe4 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My goal is 1500 and I usually barely make it to 1200. I'm so busy with school its hard to find time to eat! Drinking lots of water/tea keeps me full most of the time so I barely notice any hunger pangs.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    My advice is don't do that. Don't settle for 1200. I never used the MFP settings. I've used calculators from other sites for my macros and even on said low calorie/low carb days my lowest was 1400. @1400 I was extremely MOODY and b*tchy! If you set your calories at 1200, make sure you eat back whatever you burn! Currently, I'm a happy camper at around 1600-1700 calories. Of course I go over whenever I feel like it.
  • dugsgirl67
    dugsgirl67 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am! 1279 a day...and struggling. but I am determined, I have a trip to Hawaii in April and my daughters wedding in June, so I have two goals to shoot for.
    How are you doing it?

dugsgirl
  • kskroch
    kskroch Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I was on a VLCD for 15 weeks. target was 800 calories and I was as low as 600-700 calories during part of the program, because of pain and drug/nausea/constipation issues.

Personally, I'd not recommend doing less than 1200 unless you have serious medical issues and are under close medical supervision. it was tough enough even with that.

without going through all the posts, i'd be happy to answer questions about this program and my experiences.
  • kateparedes
    kateparedes Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm only five feet tall and have been eating around 1200 calories a day for the past 10 days as part of the Dukan diet. I don't really need to Calorie count on the Dukan, but I find that tracking down what I eat helps in ensuring that I'm within my program. I find that 1200 calories is actually more than enough if you're on a high protein diet like I am. I usually eat a lot of white and lean meat which keep me satisfied and full for most of the day. I snack on nonfat yogurt when I get hungry between meals.

So far I've already lost 5 lbs. From when I started the diet (dukan attack phase included), and I'm sticking with the 1200 calories a day for now. I am also doimg a 30 minute exercise 5 times a week.

Good luck!
  • mandycfit
    Options
    Yes I am, and I am finding I go way over on my sugar and fat and still have not eaten all my calories for the day, so I have been checking out low fat, low sugar options to bring it in line. I have lost 6lbs so far but have a looooong way to go.
  • kittyninja
    Options
    Part of my calorie deficit to lose 1 pound per week comes from subtracting 250 from my maintenance calories, to equal 1450. The other 250 of the deficit is what I burn with exercise. So I eat 1450 calories a day, but my net intake is 1200 calories.
    Since I'm so short and already at a weight in the "healthy" range, I don't need many calories to maintain my weight in the first place, so quick weight loss (2 lbs per week) isn't an option for me without going under the "safe" 1200 mark, which I'd rather not do. 1 lb per week is the most I can safely do.
    1200 net (after exercise) is so much better and easier than 1200 intake (without exercise), so if you're doing the latter, I suggest you bump up your calories and then burn them off with exercise. That will add an extra meal to your day, at least.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    no that's way too much for me. i am at about 500 cals a day right now so the thought of 1200 a day sounds very... filling. but at first yes it does seem like very little if you're used to eating alot. been there.

the big thing about eating less calories, is yeah you'll be hungry and learn the hard way how to get more bang for your calorie buck. so you can be full eating less. you'll figure it out as you go.

500 calories? Your BMR would burn more than that- what you would burn lying in bed all day, meaning you are essentially starving yourself and along with fat you will have muscle wastage. Even very low calorie diets are 700-850 cals but they have shakes to ensure they are still getting enough vits and minerals, you cannot get all the nutrients you need on 500 a day. Please be careful with such a drastic diet, it's not sustainable to eat so little. I have friends that have been as extreme and side effects such as depression and hair loss happended really quickly. The minimum of 1200 is there for a reason, because it's not healthy. Concerned for you x

that's sweet of you to express concern. thank you. i've been doing this type of thing for yeeeears and i understand all the risks. i know it might not be the most responsible. but it works for me. my thing right now is i need drastic weight loss. im already taking steps and looking into resources to help me learn to maintain my weight loss properly after this and do the ~lifestyle change~ thing because i need to learn that. i try to think of it like people with gastric bypass surgery, they eat barely anything for drastic weightloss, and then learn to maintain it (yes i do realize that its a result of a major physical change and not a personal choice like in my case lol). but that comparison also makes me really consider another point you made about nutrients. people with gastric bypass often get malnourished. i never thought of that. i guess it's the same thing, i should look into vitamins.

i have had a bypass and i eat 1000 calories a day and still losing 3 lb a week
    Where in the world are all these people getting the idea that gastric bypass patients only eat 500 calories a day?? Other than the initial post-operative period when they're on liquid diets to allow them to recover from surgery (~2 weeks) they're prescribed a diet of 1000-1400 calories a day.
  • JoanneLynn
    JoanneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    No, I cannot maintain 1200 calories a day. I look at this as a way of life. Eating healthier and exercising. I am perfectly happy losing 1/2 pounds a week. That's 26 pounds a year.
  • abbiepql
    Options
    I have been eating 1200 a day for a bit over a year. I exercise 600+ calories a day and eat them back only once a week. I have NOT had WLS and am being monitored by my doctor. Anyone eating less than 1200 calories a day needs to be medically supervised - if not there can be some severe health consequence, one of which is your body cannabolizing energy from your vital organs/muscles, a severe lowering in metabolism and for women especially a hormonal hell! For me it all comes down to math - 1200 is very doable you just have to be very choosy over how you use the calories and plan out your meals carefully. It is restrictive, and it is not easy...
  • Alanakrahenbil
    Alanakrahenbil Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I'm at about 1240 calories, more like 1540 since I am breastfeeding and replacing my lost calories from that. I don;t beat myself up if I go over. I am not going to completely cut out the foods I love (chocolate and chips) I just need to be more sensible on how much of it I eat.
    I am set to lose 1lb a week but I don't mind 0.5 lbs, it's just fine by me.
  • revjames
    revjames Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1260 cals a day which seems low BUT now I check the cals on everything I eat and know that I can do an exercise burn to earn more calories. Basic physics energy in - energy out. The defecit is necessary otherwise whats the point?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    It sounds like many are confused over BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) and maintenance calories and goal calories.

MFP along with other sites pretty much use the same formulas based on studies that estimate BMR based on the few factors that generally affect it.

MFP uses that and your choice of normal activity level to come up with maintenance calories figure.

MFP then takes into account what you want to do for loss. Also taking into account some minimums, to make Goal calories.

So several places these figures can be messed up.

BMR - you may not fit nicely in the bell curve.
    You may have starved your metabolism much lower, such that MFP overestimates your BMR. It would be best in this case to get your BMR up, not lower MFP goals. Hence the reason many find eating more helps to start losing at all or more.
    You BMR may just be higher or lower based on amount of muscle you actually have and rate it's working. Noticed by fact that you just aren't hungry or you are always hungry, based on hitting goal calories. This would be separate from messing up BMR with low calorie diet.

Then maintenance calories can be off for several reasons.
    BMR is foundation of this, and is is way off.
    Your selection of activity level was not correct, so the estimates are off. Or fact there is only 4 activity levels, and you are actually at one end of the range. This is where many like the BodyBugg/BodyMedia/FitBit, making this selection of activity level more accurate. But those units do NOT calculate BMR or even exercise calories that accurately at all.

Then the amount of exercise calories to eat back (remember deficit is already built into goal calories, usually off maintenance calories) could be way off.
    You use the tables on MFP or other sites which usually make some concessions for averages if your effort (heart rate) is not used. So your weight, age, pace found in the avg's table may not be your actual level of effort.
    You may initially be out of shape and therefore spending more energy than tables show to produce the effort.
    You may get very fit and they now overestimate your level of effort and calorie burn.
    Your HRM may not be accurate because it didn't ask for enough info to use good calorie burn tables, but averages just as bad as a machine or website tables.

There is so many places for inaccuracies to fit into place.

Obviously extreme lows or highs aren't going to be beneficial, but it's usually noticeable.

You can't give MFP another BMR figure for it to use. You can only change your goals, and therefore your maintenance calories.

So if under Dr's care and they did a BMR test on you, or feel they have a more accurate figure based on something, then the difference between that and calculated BMR on the site can be subtracted/added to your goal calories. Which if under Dr's care they probably gave you already.

Try to more correctly get those maintenance calories. If the next level in activity level makes too many calories, but the level you selected is too low, take the difference off maintenance calories.

Try to get those exercise calories more accurate. Get a HRM for cardio (not useful for anything that is under about 90 bpm) that needs input of age, weight, gender, more accurate if you can input your own resting and max HR's.

Eat those exercise calories back at a useful time. Most studies have shown for strength training, high protein within 20 min is most useful. For cardio decent carbs/protein within 30 min. You already have a deficit built into your goal calories, don't mess with that or you will probably cause your BMR to go down to compensate for lack of energy being taken in.
  • sylverkat
    sylverkat Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I tried it a long long long time ago and I was miserable. I eat 1430 now, or even more if I'm hungry. I also eat back almost all of my exercise calories (usually at least 80%, if not all of them).

Hey, what can I say? I like to eat! :)

Me too! And I plan to eat back what I exercise too!
  • sylverkat
    sylverkat Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    WOW! So much great advice! THANKS everyone!
  • cthoma70
    cthoma70 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I did 1200 calories a day for about 6 months, its a rough diet but it dropped the pounds for me fast
  • LiquidSugarr
    LiquidSugarr Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I do some kind of work out every day, even if it's just the wii. Feel free to add me and check out my diaries. :)
  • rarebird47
    Options
    I was on 1200 per day (for 6 weeeks) but found that I gained or didn't lose weight at all. So now I've dropped to 1000 per day and it suits me fine. I can manage as long as I eat back my calories burned from exercise. I'm about 23 kilos (50 lbs) overweight and 161 (5'3). After all this good advice though I'm worried that I should increase my intake and try again. Any advice?