Protein bars

Options
1234usmc
1234usmc Posts: 196 Member
I love quest bars but I am trying to find a bar that is low carb and a little lower in protein that still tastes good. I am trying to cut back on my protein. I travel a lot and quest bars are very convenient. Thx

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Are you counting total carbs or net carbs?

Kirkland sells a mock quest bar. I like the bars from Oh Yeah nutrition from their ONE line.

Reason I asked is because some people will take the total carb count and subtract fiber and sugar alcohols, which lower the carb count. Not some people don't do this because everyone reacts to different sugar alcohols differently but I have found that method to me OK with me when I was consuming sugar alcohols. Your experience may differ.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I don't eat quest bars anymore because they honestly just made me crave sweets. They're way too sweet for my taste preferences.
    I do on occasion have a Dark Chocolate Almond Bar by Primal Kitchen and they give me no problems with cravings. They are expensive so I only use them when I really need to. I guess they're no more expensive than Quest though...
    As far as I know you can only get them online through Primal Kitchen or Thrive Market (which is cheaper).
    pcyv4ozup6ts.jpg

I don't like all the added fiber in Quest bars. These have 6g which is more than I usually get in a whole day, but it doesn't seem to give me any belly trouble.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Kirkland sells a mock quest bar.

I tried them and was not impressed. I also like quest bars which taste better so if you like quest bars, the Kirkland brand bars will likely fall flat with respect to taste/flavor as compared to quest.

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    These may be too high in protein for your needs, but the net carbs are quite low. I like the way the PB & sea salt bars taste; they have the best nutrient profile for my needs, so I don't eat the other flavors.

The price tends to bounce around a bit on Amazon, but I've gotten Subscribe & Save deals for under $15 for a box of 12. (They run around $1.75-2.00 each in health food stores.)

A1xEDnQmCLL._SL1500_.jpg
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    @RalfLott. I hate quest bars...too heavy and sweet. These bars look wonderful and I want to try them. What do you think of these compared to quest?
  • RalfLott
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    @RalfLott. I hate quest bars...too heavy and sweet. These bars look wonderful and I want to try them. What do you think of these compared to quest?

These bars are not as sweet as I remember Quest bars.

They're dense but very easy to get down, if you like PB - the trick is to make no more than one easily available at a time (like keep the box in the freezer and then stash the frozen rascals in the back of the trunk on road trips!).
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I love quest bars

They are like crack!!

I eat 4 on a long bike ride day.

They are great meal replacements for me.
  • DJPiP3
    DJPiP3 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The best tasting bars (in my opinion) I've found are B-Up bars from Yup.

https://yupbrands.com/shop/b-up-carton/b-up-sugar-cookie-12-pack/

They have a bunch of flavors, but I've found sugar cookie is the best tasting one! You can also find them a bit cheaper at LuckyVitamin. Get a couple of single bars to try out all the flavors!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Speaking of Quest, they have a new flavor out: Oatmeal Chocolate Chip. Seems to be getting solid reviews thus far. I quit eating the things forever ago, but still get their notifications.
  • ladipoet
    Options
    DJPiP3 wrote: »
    The best tasting bars (in my opinion) I've found are B-Up bars from Yup.

https://yupbrands.com/shop/b-up-carton/b-up-sugar-cookie-12-pack/

They have a bunch of flavors, but I've found sugar cookie is the best tasting one! You can also find them a bit cheaper at LuckyVitamin. Get a couple of single bars to try out all the flavors!

@DJPip3...thanks for posting this link. I eat a lot of quest bars but I've been on the lookout for a bar that tastes as good as Quest with better ingredients. This one looks like it's got the better ingredients covered. Now I've got to try some. Who knows, maybe this will replace my Quest bars if they taste decent!
  • ladipoet
    Options
    Speaking of Quest, they have a new flavor out: Oatmeal Chocolate Chip. Seems to be getting solid reviews thus far. I quit eating the things forever ago, but still get their notifications.

@Gallowmere1984 ...Yeah, I tried it and much to my surprise liked it; however, I think they misnamed it because it tastes nothing like oatmeal. A more appropriate name would be: Cinnamon Chocolate Chip! lol
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »

@Gallowmere1984 ...Yeah, I tried it and much to my surprise liked it; however, I think they misnamed it because it tastes nothing like oatmeal. A more appropriate name would be: Cinnamon Chocolate Chip! lol

That's what I read. A lot of the reviews say it tastes like they blended their choco chip cookie dough and cinnamon roll bars.
  • 1234usmc
    1234usmc Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Those look good. About the same protein and carbs as quest though. I'll give them a try for variety though. Thx
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    These may be too high in protein for your needs, but the net carbs are quite low. I like the way the PB & sea salt bars taste; they have the best nutrient profile for my needs, so I don't eat the other flavors.

The price tends to bounce around a bit on Amazon, but I've gotten Subscribe & Save deals for under $15 for a box of 12. (They run around $1.75-2.00 each in health food stores.)

A1xEDnQmCLL._SL1500_.jpg

How do these taste?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Are you counting total carbs or net carbs?

Kirkland sells a mock quest bar. I like the bars from Oh Yeah nutrition from their ONE line.

Reason I asked is because some people will take the total carb count and subtract fiber and sugar alcohols, which lower the carb count. Not some people don't do this because everyone reacts to different sugar alcohols differently but I have found that method to me OK with me when I was consuming sugar alcohols. Your experience may differ.

I tried the kirkland ones, but like many things from costco: THEY choose the variety. I ended up with a box of cookie dough and chocolate/chocolate chip. BOTH were far too sweet for me. I keep one in my bag for emergencies, but that's about it.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

How do these taste?

I only eat the peanut butter + sea salt variety, and I think they're great (if you like PB). Not especially sweet.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I don't eat quest bars anymore because they honestly just made me crave sweets. They're way too sweet for my taste preferences.
    I do on occasion have a Dark Chocolate Almond Bar by Primal Kitchen and they give me no problems with cravings. They are expensive so I only use them when I really need to. I guess they're no more expensive than Quest though...
    As far as I know you can only get them online through Primal Kitchen or Thrive Market (which is cheaper).
    pcyv4ozup6ts.jpg

I don't like all the added fiber in Quest bars. These have 6g which is more than I usually get in a whole day, but it doesn't seem to give me any belly trouble.

@Sunny_Bunny_ those bars made me crave like mad! Still not sure what is in them, but if I only ate 1/4 to 1/2, I was mostly okay...
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    pcyv4ozup6ts.jpg

@Sunny_Bunny_ those bars made me crave like mad! Still not sure what is in them, but if I only ate 1/4 to 1/2, I was mostly okay...

Maybe it's just the sweet taste? Though they are considerably less sweet than things like quest.
    They use monk fruit as a sweetener, which I have used before without issue in small amounts. But I do think it's one that can create the insulin response.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Actually, I think it is maybe the almonds...combined with the small bit of honey. The smallest things make me spike. But it's minimized lately. Honestly, I didn't like the taste of them much, but tolerated trying them because I got a pack free paying shipping only. As my taste buds adapt again, I might try them again, but I really don't like coconut, and I could SO taste the flakes. LOL

I had that TreLEAFia sweetener that had monk fruit in it, but it had trehalose, which had some really negative reviews, but all three (with stevia) were blended together. It just tasted FRUITY and that was weird in my cocoa, and I haven't braved trying it on something else.

The stevia only quest bar did okay for me with cravings, but the one that had sucralose, too, gave me a nearly instant migraine and insane cravings with 1/4 bar... No, thank you! LOL
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I have very little control when it comes to these things, therefore I forbid myself to experiment with them. Plus, one bar is HALF my carb allotment for a day!