What's your biggest hurdle right now?

Options
quiltlovinlisa
quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
Title says it all. :)

I just started a new job. It's 6 1/2 hours a day, 5 days a week and it'll be the most I've been away from home since I became a mom 18 1/2 years ago. Planning meals in advance, making time for exercise, wow, I'm working hard to not let it become overwhelming.

Replies

• sNachers
    sNachers Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I hear ya, life is so busy!! My biggest hurdle is not saying no. Not saying no to the Hubby's dinner or desert ideas. Not saying no to sitting around after work/before making dinner and after eating. Not saying no to that wine!
  • quiltlovinlisa
    Options
    ststarks wrote: »
    I hear ya, life is so busy!! My biggest hurdle is not saying no. Not saying no to the Hubby's dinner or desert ideas. Not saying no to sitting around after work/before making dinner and after eating. Not saying no to that wine!

Oh yeah, that can be a hard one. I think it gets easier as you go, but getting started can be challenging. I go through periods every few months where I really struggle. Just keep moving forward.
  • sNachers
    Options
    I admit starting back up is my biggest challenge right now. When I lost 30ish pounds a few years back I actually used MFP, stayed at 1200 cal, and worked out daily doing Jillian Michaels. I loved it and was so proud of myself. This time around though, I'm having a harder time being consistent. I just have to keep pushing myself. Having this group helps!

• quiltlovinlisa
    Options
    It does help!
  • jenniebean310
    jenniebean310 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My biggest hurdle right now is staying motivated but luckily since hoping back on, my support has grown. Combine that with my determination & self pep talks and I'm finding ways to push through.
  • Skyygraphx
    Skyygraphx Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My biggest hurdle right now, honestly, is the feeling of overwhelming uncertainty. I lost my job last week and I'm not sure when I'm going to find another. It's been so hard to plan going forward when I'm not even sure how I'm going to buy groceries after next week. That being said, I really appreciate the support this group offers, it helps to have other moms to talk to about "life stuff".
  • akmomof7
    akmomof7 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Sky, I am so sorry you are going through that right now! How scary ! I will be praying that you find work very soon! My oldest son is currently out of work and although he has a new job, he's waiting for a background check to come back and it's taking forever. He is moving back in with us this week to avoid having to pay another month of rent, so we will be a little squished until he gets finalized and can move.

My biggest hurdle at the moment is sleep deprivation! ! I had a great night Saturday, only got woken up at midnight and 4:30 and didn't get up until 7! But last night I was up at 11, 1, 3 and 4 and up at 5:30. Unfortunately, last night is typical. So I am usually pretty tired. I tend to crave carbs when I am tired.
  • jenniebean310
    Options
    @Skyygraphx I'm so sorry to hear about that. I know the feeling well as my husband is self employed. His payroll is always feast or famine. A few years ago he struggled to find work for over 10 months and luckily by stocking a lot back when we were in feast mode we stayed afloat because my income came nowhere near keeping our heads above water. And... still by chopping out the expenses on all unnecessary, hitting the children's closet at the church and food banks we end up with maxed out credit lines & family loans to hold the fort together. Then he went away to ND for over a year and only came home 2 weeks of that exhausted from the drive and work hours each time. Luckily he is back home and we are on the other side of that spectrum now but that also means my children & I hardly see daddy. But....when we are in feast mode we can't afford to turn down the work because we know the famine will return, it always does. I will pray that you find something that not only brings you relief soon but that you enjoy as well. Don't let it drag you down as hard as that is because better days lay ahead. I've discovered the more positive I am, the more positive my return.... Sometimes I have to "fake it until I make it".

"You're off to Great Places!
    Today is your day!
    Your mountain is waiting,
    So... get on your way!"

- Dr. Suess
    Oh, The Places You'll Go!
  • sNachers
    Options
    Skyygraphx wrote: »
    My biggest hurdle right now, honestly, is the feeling of overwhelming uncertainty. I lost my job last week and I'm not sure when I'm going to find another. It's been so hard to plan going forward when I'm not even sure how I'm going to buy groceries after next week. That being said, I really appreciate the support this group offers, it helps to have other moms to talk to about "life stuff".

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear that. One thing I see here is a lot of us have seen the same kind of times. When I was at my happiest and healthiest a few years back I was hit with a blow. I separated from my husband, and then 3 months later lost my job. I loved my job. I went from being able to care for my two children on my own to not knowing how I would pay rent for the following month, gas or groceries once my very VERY small savings was gone. It was a very hard time mentally and emotionally and I wish I would have handled it better. I think Jenniebean310 is right, try to be positive. It isn't easy, but I wish so badly that I would have when I was down. It makes such a difference in how we see ourselves and our abilities. Don't be afraid to ask for help, there are really good people out there. I will hope and pray that you find something soon.
  • Scorpio8402
    Scorpio8402 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    @Skyygraphx Keeping you in my thoughts and praying you find another job quickly. Keep us posted.
  • klemburg11
    klemburg11 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    @Skyygraphx Keep your head up girl! Good things come when you least expect it. I'll be thinking and praying for you!
  • klemburg11
    Options
    My biggest hurdle is to stay motivated. My family and friends are not very supportive, so its hard to keep going.
  • Skyygraphx
    Skyygraphx Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind words and prayers, I really appreciate it. I'm doing my best to stay positive and put those good vibes out into the universe. I firmly believe that each challenge we overcome makes us stronger in the end.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    Options
    Wanting to add my support Sky. We've gone 6 months without income with kiddos ages (at that time) 2yo twins, 3 yo, 7 yo and 10 yo. To add insult to injury, my husband worked 60 plus hours a week that whole time but it was his dad's business and there was no money for paychecks. Get help where you can.

My friends struggling with motivation, I decided last year that motivation be d@mned, I was just going to "do" what I needed to do to be healthier. I move in some way, 30 minutes a day, at least. That's non-negotiable. And when I'm overwhelmed, I've given myself permission to MAINTAIN until life settles back down and then, tighten back up to lose a little more.

It's made all the difference in the world for me because it feels "lifetime change." as opposed to "dieting." which always has backfired on me because I get discouraged.

I strongly advocate to find a few (small if needed) changes that you can do now and keep up. The motivation will come as you put those changes into practice. At least, that's how it's worked for me.
  • jenniebean310
    Options
    @quiltlovinlisa you said what I wanted to but even better!
    @klemburg11 you do have support here honey, utilize us in any way you need. I also decided this year that he'll or high water I was done with the roller coaster & fully committed this year to a full lifestyle change. I know it sounds dorky but I literally look in the mirror every morning & blare Tom Petty's "I won't back down" and find a new motivational quote to inspire my self pep talk. You got this, just hold your head high, let go of excuses but let go of all the yesterday's too!
  • jenniebean310
    Options
    I really wish I was better at proofreading my fat finger & autocorrect on here LOL. He'll? Gah... You know what I meant.
  • akmomof7
    akmomof7 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Awesome post quiltlovinlisa! I think that is the missing piece for me. Moving from diet to lifestyle is hard for my brain to do. It's a great idea to start making that the focus instead of the weight!
  • klemburg11
    Options
    @jenniebean310 thank you! I have seen some of your quotes! Very inspiring! This group has already helped a lot!
  • quiltlovinlisa
    Options
    This group is pretty awesome! It's nice to be able to post ideas and thoughts without the trolls and nuts responding.
  • melodyis4reals
    melodyis4reals Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I am so frustrated right now. I don't have any clothes to wear because I gained so much weight after birth. The scale hasn't budged in a while now. I am always hungry and I go over my calories. I went to my swap n play and discovered I was a size 14. I feel so far away from my size 8 wardrobe. People say that the pounds slip off when you breastfeed, not the case. I also found out on Friday that I have an umbilical hernia and need surgery. I want to recover already so I can really have no excuses. Whine, whine, complain, complain.