GoaD on the Run: Tuesday thru Thursday!

Options
glennowill
glennowill Posts: 134 Member
This thread is for GOADies who like to run. New runners, old runners, and even wannabe runners meet here to discuss the joys and challenges of running. Use this space to log your miles, ask questions, share your race reports, or for anything else related to running.

New runners - and even those just thinking about starting out - are always welcome. There's no reason to lurk here. Join the pack and tell us about your running!

Oftentimes the GotR thread will pose a question or raise an issue in order to facilitate the conversation, but this is always an open forum to chat about any running-related topic.

QotD: All things shoes. How often do you switch out your shoes? Does it vary on the pair you have? Have you had some last longer than usual so you kept them or do you just go ahead and buy a new pair after a set amount of time (say, 6 months.) Do you wear neutral shoes? Minimal? Maximal? Barefoot?

Alt: Has anybody else been getting some fairly cool August weather?

Replies

• glennowill
    Options
    I am on the same pair of shoes that I bought at the beginning of the year, and they still seem to be holding up well - they're my first pair of Sauconys. I have had Brooks for my last 2 pairs, but these seem to be lasting a bit longer. That being said, I haven't probably put as many miles on these in the same span of time, so that's probably mostly why they've held up longer than my usual 6 months. I run on Neutral shoes, and I enjoy a decent amount of sole. I tried a minimal shoe before but they just didn't work out for my feet. I think that trend might have died off a little bit.

Lifting tonight, running tomorrow.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I take shoes out of the active rotation between 300-350 miles. I get uneven wear on the outside of my heels, and years ago a podiatrist suggested dumping shoes once that wear pattern was established. I don't know if it makes a difference or not, to be honest, but I appreciated him giving me license to spend more money on my relatively low-cost hobby. ;-)

I usually have two pairs active at a time. I track usage on my running log (although, full disclosure, my log is several months in arrears at the moment -- I have all the info, just haven't entered it into the spreadsheet).
    • stability: I wear a neutral shoe.
    • cushioning: I'm a maximalist.
    • heel-to-toe drop: I'm a traditionalist. I experimented with a pair of Newtons (with lesser heel drop) and liked them until I ramped up mileage. I still wear them once in a while for short warm up runs on the TM at the gym.
    • brand: I'm partial to Asics, but not married to them.
    • presently using: Asics Gel Cumulus
    And that's all I know about shoes.
  • nick197785
    nick197785 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I usually get 300 - 350 miles out of a pair of running shoes. Lately I've been wearing Hoka one ones which are maximalist shoes. I actually get more miles out of Hoka Cliftons so even though the are expensive, I can get nearly 500 miles out of them.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I seem to get about 2-3 months out of my shoes. But they also get used for hiking and fitness walking. When I deem a pair of shoes not supportive enough to run in, then they become my walking around at work shoes. I rarely wear anything other than athletic shoes. Eventually they rotate into the collection used for gardening. When enough of those accumulate, they go to one of those used shoe recycling collection events.

I've never, ever had a pair of shoes show a wear pattern on the soles. They just lose their internal support and then my knee or hip gets cranky.

I only wear New Balance as I need the wider toe box. I stick with the same model until it becomes obsolete. I've probably purchased at least 10-12 pairs of my current model since it has stayed available for sale for over 2 years now. For awhile, New Balance kept changing their models seemingly every 6 months and it was really annoying. Especially since often the "new and improved" version didn't get along with my feet.

I wear motion control shoes and swap out the provided insole with Pinnacle Powerstep insoles which give me more arch support. It makes my knees happy to have a solid base under my feet.
  • shenry111
    shenry111 Posts: 4,148 Member
    Options
    Good Evening! I try to get 400 miles out of a pair of shoes, both running, and walking. I used to track on a spreadsheet, but now I'm tracking on Garmin Connect. I'm currently using Fila for the first time. I got them at JCP for a fraction of the cost that I usually pay. So far, I have not regretted it. My last pair was New Balance, and I liked them, but I couldn't decide on what I wanted. I ended up saving about $50. We'll see how long these Fila last.
  • glennowill
    Options
    Lifting and cycling tonight, planning on an easy 2 tomorrow.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Options
    Took an unplanned day off of running yesterday. Not good. I just wasn't feeling it.

I'll do better today. Most likely 2-3, easy, just to get something logged.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    Options
    No running yet this week for me. Too many work meetings. But my legs probably needed some recovery after last week's high miles. Some amount of running will occur tomorrow.
  • lilybbbbb
    lilybbbbb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I think I've forgotten how, but I promise I've been biking and walking.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    Options
    WooHoo! 6.85 miles run/walk this morning. The rain had moved through before I started so it was just overcast and humid. After spending 3 days sitting in meetings, it was delightful to be outside even if the rains had made the mosquitoes come out. Today was all about the mental benefits of running.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Options
    WooHoo! 6.85 miles run/walk this morning. The rain had moved through before I started so it was just overcast and humid. After spending 3 days sitting in meetings, it was delightful to be outside even if the rains had made the mosquitoes come out. Today was all about the mental benefits of running.

I need some of that. No running since Sunday. Work is sucking all joy out of my life!