Shenandoah NP Trails

KiyaK
KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
Hello. I live in Southern Maryland & would like to visit Shenandoah National Park while we're on this end of the country. I see that the park is long & skinny, so thinking about splitting the trip into 2 and doing north & south on different weekends. Any trails or sights that you consider must-see? Looking for day hikes, not backpacking. Thank you!

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Old Rag Mountain is a must-see. It includes a challenging rock scramble and is a popular destination for good reason. It has its own entrance to the park, so you might consider that for 1 day and go to the main part of the park for the other day (and drive around, stay overnight). Or if you want to be really ambitious, you can visit Old Rag first thing in the morning (perhaps 7am) before the rush and then get done around lunch time. Drive around to the main part of the park for another afternoon / evening hike.
  • KiyaK
    Thank you for the response. I believe from my (very light) research I remember reading about Old Rag. It will definitely make it on the list now. Thanks!
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    I love Old Rag, the advice is always the same for popular trails, start early. I always try to hit the trail at sunrise or earlier. By the time you are coming down you will be passing a lot of people going up. The scramble area of Old Rag can actually have traffic jams on weekends.

Of course the Appalachian Trail runs the length of the park and is a good hike also.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I love Old Rag, the advice is always the same for popular trails, start early. I always try to hit the trail at sunrise or earlier. By the time you are coming down you will be passing a lot of people going up. The scramble area of Old Rag can actually have traffic jams on weekends.

Of course the Appalachian Trail runs the length of the park and is a good hike also.

Also, for Old Rag, parking isn't available later in the day. I had planned to go up earlier, but was worn out from previous days and ended up arriving around 11am. There was no parking available, so I paid the farmer next door to park rather than wait for a spot to open up (there was already a line for that).
  • KiyaK
    Good to know. That's for the advice guys!
  • KiyaK
    Thanks*