First year without a birthday cake

Options
cimarrona27
cimarrona27 Posts: 97 Member
So my ultimate cake love is carrot cake...

I asked everyone to not get me one and requested my husband make bacon and cream cheese poppers instead.

We made half of them with little sweet pepper and half with green chili- I had to use them up so we skipped using jalapeños.

So while I went over on my calorie goal I came in at 23 carbs for the day- most of which were from the sweet peppers.

I am so proud that I was able to not only resist the temptation, but that I didn't make an excuse as to why I could make an exception.

Dinner was amazing- and while I would have loved to have had my carrot cake- I'm much happier that I didn't.

Almost two weeks under my belt! (And my belt is getting loose!)

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    High five!
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Great job!! Great NSV!
  • redimock
    redimock Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Great job!!! And Happy Birthday!!!!!
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Wonderful! Happy Birthday!!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    That's a big win!
    I made a keto cheesecake my first keto birthday and ate the whole thing within a day! Lol
    This year, I had a big ribeye and thought briefly about making the cheesecake but found I didn't want it enough to take the time to make it. Lol
    Never missed it!
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Wow great NSV and Happy Birthday!
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    That's a big win!
    I made a keto cheesecake my first keto birthday and ate the whole thing within a day! Lol
    This year, I had a big ribeye and thought briefly about making the cheesecake but found I didn't want it enough to take the time to make it. Lol
    Never missed it!

Thats awesome, I might do that of a mini carrot cake mug muffin (keto) i saw on sugar free mama. Its a big one this year for me!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday and WTG! :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    genmon00 wrote: »
    That's a big win!
    Never missed it!

Thats awesome, I might do that of a mini carrot cake mug muffin (keto) i saw on sugar free mama. Its a big one this year for me!

That's a great plan! I think it's nice to have a keto friendly treat on special occasions if you want one. Making your indulgences on those occasions fit your plan is a smart way to do it. Even if you eat the whole dang thing, it's better than a regular sized serving of the full sugar version! Then, if you can save the keto treats for special occasions only, you won't get into trouble with them like I did when I was making them once a week or more last fall! Eeek! That was bad!
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I skipped the cake on my birthday also. My bf gave me cheese curds instead of chocolate for valentine's day this year :smiley:

You've got yourself a keeper there!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Why deprive yourself of something you love flavor wise? It's relatively easy to make LCHF carrot cake:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=low+carb+high+fat+carrot+cake
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday to You!

We usually go out for Italian dinner for birthdays, but this year I am thinking Filet Mignon on the grill since I don't know if there is any Italian dish I could eat without destroying my ketotic state. Also forgoing the Tres Leche B-cake. Maybe homemade low carb cheesecake, without the Amaretto sauce and whipped cream?
  • kimbo8435
    kimbo8435 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday and congrats! I had a rib-eye smothered in garlic butter on my bday. My keto hubs' birthday is coming up so I may use some of these ideas. Thanks all!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    @aquawave Cioppino @ an Italian restaurant, if you like seafood. I make it at home and anytime I've had it in a restaurant is was just buttery/wine/herb broth, clams, mussels, shrimp, crab, etc. Hide the bread on the table. :)
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    @aquawave Cioppino @ an Italian restaurant, if you like seafood. I make it at home and anytime I've had it in a restaurant is was just buttery/wine/herb broth, clams, mussels, shrimp, crab, etc. Hide the bread on the table. :)

I used to order that years ago, but some time ago I got tired of fighting (deshelling) my food. I did love it!
  • IowaHomeGirl
    IowaHomeGirl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    For my next birthday, I'm going to start the tradition of eating at a great steak place or a Brazilian steak house. I have to make a concerted effort to stop eating sweets and I can get cake at any in-store deli. A steak or unlimited skewers of meat? I'd rather have someone else do the cooking for me!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday!!

Mmmm I love carrot cake too! Slathered in a thick layer of icing, of course :wink:

My first birthday since going LCHF was last month and to avoid temptations and to work on breaking my bad habit of using food as a focal point of celebration, my husband and I went for a really long day hike, which was a great way for me to celebrate my weight loss success and my significantly improved fitness. We came home and had a very unimpressive dinner, I can't even remember what it was lol. The celebration hike, however, will be a memory I'll treasure for a very long time.