When you're hungry...

Options
I guess I'm not a snack person or a "grazer." My husband can do just fine by nibbling on stuff throughout the day. But snack foods just don't satisfy me. I can eat 2000 calories worth of almonds, a few protein bars, low carb bread, etc in one sitting and still not be satiated.
Point being, I felt peckish tonight, decided I'm going to eat a delicious rotisserie chicken and voila! Hunger is 100% satiated. I still feel full 7 hours later, even though my rotisserie chicken has less calories than my usual 2000 calorie snacks? When in hunger, eat meat?

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Im a lot like this too. If I'm actually hungry, I need actual food. A snack just won't satisfy for long. Now, the only time I even bother with snacks is if I just want something to munch with some evening tea or coffee. My go to is toasted coconut flakes but salted almonds is another favorite. Easy to overdo it with those though, like you mentioned.
    I have found some fatty coffee can buy me several hours of hunger control if there's some reason eating at the moment is inconvenient. Butter and coconut oil really make me feel like I've eaten solid food. That was something that amazed me in the beginning.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I eat meat and fats, only things that keeps me full. A snack for me will be a hard boiled egg, some left over chicken or minced meat and I am fine till my next meal. I find the mix between the protein and fats is what keeps me full. Great you have found something that works for you, my advice would be, you now know protein works for you, start playing around with various types of proteins and good fats.
  • PatriciaLoofbourrow
    PatriciaLoofbourrow Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Canned sardines in oil (I like to drink the oil, too) or sharp cheese does it for me.
  • trish55011
    trish55011 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Last night before bed I too felt the ole tummy rumbling, my first though was am I hungry or am I thirsty? So guzzled down some ice cold H2o and waited a few minutes, nope tummy was acting like the plant in Little shop of horrors.... FEED ME SEYMOUR!! not sure why hunger hit so late, probably because of my workout. Anyhoo did not want to eat and have it sitting in my stomach all night, so I made myself a cup of buttered coffee. (No worries about the coffee, can drink a pot and go right to sleep). Within minutes my tummy was gurgling happily. And I didn't go to sleep with a food baby bouncing around in my stomach. :):)B)<3
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I've found a lot of times when my tummy is acting like its hungry for no reason, I actually need sodium and a bottle of water with some pink salt added takes care of it real quick
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Point being, I felt peckish tonight, decided I'm going to eat a delicious rotisserie chicken and voila! Hunger is 100% satiated. I still feel full 7 hours later, even though my rotisserie chicken has less calories than my usual 2000 calorie snacks? When in hunger, eat meat?

Exactly this ^^^^ 100% ;)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I have an insatiable appetite, and eating low carb has helped (not solved) this, along with a long time of eating lower calorie (most of that time was not while eating low carb). My appetite has been reduced through both factors, but I still find it easy to eat 5K+ calories of low carb foods (meats or otherwise). It's been awhile since I did this and it was before switching to low carb, but I once had so few calories left and was so hungry that I ended up eating more than 9 lbs. of salad - mostly lettuce.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I agree, meat makes me feel full so that I don't resort to snacking mindlessly. That's why I love full fat ground beef! It satisfies my hunger and keeps me going for hours!
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Usually foods that have close to a 1:1 protein to fat ratio will be the most satisfiying. Meat or cheese will most likely fill the void faster than anything else. Nuts have carbs, which we know will trigger more cravings. They are too easy to overeat. If I could afford to eat nothing but ribeye or porterhouse steaks, they would always be my first choice! Even as a snack! :D:D:D
    I guess I'm not a snack person or a "grazer." My husband can do just fine by nibbling on stuff throughout the day. But snack foods just don't satisfy me. I can eat 2000 calories worth of almonds, a few protein bars, low carb bread, etc in one sitting and still not be satiated.

• RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Interesting to read this thread today - I dropped my calories just a bit yesterday so I only used 1T of coconut oil instead of 2 in my BPC for breakfast today - which was at 0700. It's only 0930 and I've already eaten 2 eggs, a slice of cheese and a T of butter...still starving. Not sure if it was the drop in the coconut oil or all in my head because I changed my cal intake or if I'm just starving today because today was the day to starve. I'm thinking about another cup of BPC to see if that shuts my tummy up.
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    Interesting to read this thread today - I dropped my calories just a bit yesterday so I only used 1T of coconut oil instead of 2 in my BPC for breakfast today - which was at 0700. It's only 0930 and I've already eaten 2 eggs, a slice of cheese and a T of butter...still starving. Not sure if it was the drop in the coconut oil or all in my head because I changed my cal intake or if I'm just starving today because today was the day to starve. I'm thinking about another cup of BPC to see if that shuts my tummy up.

I ate: One slice thick bacon, one egg over easy cooked in half a Tbsp butter, coffee with 1/2 tea coconut oil, two Tbsp heavy whipping cream. Sometimes, I drop the bacon and add cheese. I just don't get hungry, and I have to force myself to eat a salad at around 1PM. This is the start of my third keto month. When we started, we did snack on Baby Belle Cheese and Pork Rinds. But, no more.

At around 4PM, I drink a cup of hot tea to tide me over till dinner at 6:30PM.

• mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    My own experience is that once I start dithering around counting calories thing go downhill fast. As long as I faithfully track my carb and my protein grams, I'm never hungry and my weight is where it should be. For digestive health reasons I can't enjoy the high fat items other folks have mentioned here. But that's why Mother Nature so kindly provides us with eggs, turkey burgers, chicken breasts and roast beef.

I might also mention that factory foods, like low carb breads and protein bars, are trouble waiting to happen. They just don't supply what we need. In desperation, last week I resorted to Atkins products while out of town. It was the best choice available to me but I fell on the real food in my own kitchen like a starving wolf when we got back.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Most days I don't ever get hungry. Today.... still hungry. Just a bad day but I'm eating and went over cal goal but not by much. If I don't count calories I'm afraid I'd eat 4000 a day out of habit eating not hunger
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Last night just before bed I was really hungry, but 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of butter shut that down fast. I couldn't believe it.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    dmariet116 wrote: »
    Usually foods that have close to a 1:1 protein to fat ratio will be the most satisfiying. Meat or cheese will most likely fill the void faster than anything else. Nuts have carbs, which we know will trigger more cravings. They are too easy to overeat. If I could afford to eat nothing but ribeye or porterhouse steaks, they would always be my first choice! Even as a snack! :D:D:D

If I could afford it and it wouldn't freak my husband out I would eat nothing but about a 1 pound ribeye steak every single day with lots of salt.
  • Cyndi146
    Cyndi146 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I always go for the meat or cheese. So filling!