FAQ - Syncing, logging food & exercise, calorie adjustments, activity levels, accuracy

Replies

• iamcourtneyscat
    iamcourtneyscat Posts: 1 Member
    I just synced MFP with Fitbit today after having Fitbit for 6 months. Is there a way to import past data??
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I just synced MFP with Fitbit today after having Fitbit for 6 months. Is there a way to import past data??

Nope. Time starts on first setup.
    Even if accounts had been set to sync and issues were stopping it, or no device sync in many days to Fitbit account - it'll only correct so many days in the past.
  • jopalis
    jopalis Posts: 238 Member
    edited August 2016
    FitBit finally synced with MFP! Eureka!
  • amg871
    amg871 Posts: 7 Member
    Should the Fitbit Zip sync every night to 11:59p? I always thought it did. For some reason recently (i.e in the past two weeks,) I have had some days where it doesn't sync the full day's worth of data. For example, last night it stopped at 9:50p. It is syncing fine so far today...
  • theplumbob78
    theplumbob78 Posts: 1 Member
    So, I think I'm clear that food should be logged only in MFP, but what about water? Does it matter where you enter that? I much prefer the way Fitbit tracks water to what MFP does.
  • heybales
    amg871 wrote: »
    Should the Fitbit Zip sync every night to 11:59p? I always thought it did. For some reason recently (i.e in the past two weeks,) I have had some days where it doesn't sync the full day's worth of data. For example, last night it stopped at 9:50p. It is syncing fine so far today...

It indeed used to end up that way - but a while back I noticed that final sync will happen the next day.
    It used to be after Fitbit calorie burn was 100 higher than the prior sync that it would sync new data - which meant there was always possibility for it to be more than 1 hr from midnight.
    Then the day starts out at 0 again at midnight, now you have to wait another over 1 hr for first sync to occur, and for prior day correction to occur.
  • heybales
    So, I think I'm clear that food should be logged only in MFP, but what about water? Does it matter where you enter that? I much prefer the way Fitbit tracks water to what MFP does.

Wherever you are going to look at it easiest.
    Has no bearing on food on either site, nor calc's for anything - purely how you want to view, and perhaps, review, the stats from prior days.
  • amg871
    heybales wrote: »

It indeed used to end up that way - but a while back I noticed that final sync will happen the next day.
    It used to be after Fitbit calorie burn was 100 higher than the prior sync that it would sync new data - which meant there was always possibility for it to be more than 1 hr from midnight.
    Then the day starts out at 0 again at midnight, now you have to wait another over 1 hr for first sync to occur, and for prior day correction to occur.

Thanks so much for your reply. The full sync for Sunday still hasn't occurred:(. And there are a couple of days further back where it didn't as well. For example, Tuesday (8/16), it only did through 11:13p.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

Thanks so much for your reply. The full sync for Sunday still hasn't occurred:(. And there are a couple of days further back where it didn't as well. For example, Tuesday (8/16), it only did through 11:13p.

Mine picked up that nifty habit earlier this year. It never closes the day out anymore like it used to, and the best it ever does is a final sync at 11:59 pm but often the last sync is earlier than that and when I compare the estimated cal burn to what FitBit actually says they can be off by 20-50 cals. Frustrating!
  • amg871
    edited August 2016
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Mine picked up that nifty habit earlier this year. It never closes the day out anymore like it used to, and the best it ever does is a final sync at 11:59 pm but often the last sync is earlier than that and when I compare the estimated cal burn to what FitBit actually says they can be off by 20-50 cals. Frustrating!

Thanks for your reply. I was trying to figure it out with tech support but was not getting very far. If I figure something out, I will try to post back. I did notice that Fitbit and MFP calories were different.

I do think it is somehow related to when I take my Zip off of my waste band for the night. Seems to stop syncing about the same time.

• carriels7
    carriels7 Posts: 39 Member
    Question. My fit it was showing up nicely in mfp until I went out of town away from laptop where the dongle?is attached. I typically use my phone to record in mfp anyway. But now I can't get mfp to pick up steps again since we're back in town. Frustrating as had more steps than ever.
  • carriels7
    carriels7 Posts: 39 Member
    Oh have also disconnected and reconnected to no avail.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    @carriels7 : check to make sure your step source is still set to Fitbit Tracker. Either under Steps in the mobile app or on apps->steps on the website. I think this link will take you to the proper place on the website: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps/step_trackers
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    MFP is not picking up my fit bit steps, I have unpaired them and denied access then re set it up, my steps are set to fit bit. Ant other ideas on what to try?
  • heybales
    MFP is not picking up my fit bit steps, I have unpaired them and denied access then re set it up, my steps are set to fit bit. Ant other ideas on what to try?

The FAQ's are generally not looked at by anyone, so your potential audience is very small, and issues aren't really related to the topic of FAQ's.

Suggest you scan through the headers of topics in main Fitbit group - probably find your issue already with topic, and if not can start one - but I'd scan first and read through the many a topic on exactly that - with many suggestions.
  • callumwalker1995
    callumwalker1995 Posts: 389 Member
    My fitbit in my workout this morning said I burned 726 calories yet the polar watch with hr monitor chest strap said I burned 1590 because it recognised my hr was about 130 on average whilst my fitbit said 90. DOes the fitbit charge hr have such a bad accuracy like this?
  • heybales
    My fitbit in my workout this morning said I burned 726 calories yet the polar watch with hr monitor chest strap said I burned 1590 because it recognised my hr was about 130 on average whilst my fitbit said 90. DOes the fitbit charge hr have such a bad accuracy like this?

It can with some. Most start to show inaccuracy when going higher HR's though, that's about the worst example of low HR I've seen when the adjustments on wrist are followed.
    Or it's shows bad ability to adjust as fast as HR is during like intervals.

So if you haven't followed Fitbit's advice as to where to wear it when working out - follow those first.

If you are and HR is still that bad - you physically aren't a good candidate for optical HR reading.
    Keep using the Polar.
    Now - Fitbit does use better formula than cheaper Polar's - the nicer Polar's use the same methods as Fitbit.
    So if your Polar only has gender, age, weight, height, and no VO2max test or restingHR or HRmax available to change - then take those calories burns with big grain of salt too - they could be very inflated.

Oh - was that workout steady-state aerobic where the formula for calorie burn based on HR even apply?
  • pobb75
    pobb75 Posts: 5 Member
    I'm very confused my the negative calorie thing, I have it as enabled on the website it on the app it says negative adjustments are disabled???!

zwx553uhsac7.png
  • heybales
    Log out of your app, don't just close it, log out so you have to log in again.
    While logged out, change the setting on the website to disabled. Save, then enable it again. Save.
    Now log back into the app.
    Still a problem - contact support.
  • adamyovanovich
    adamyovanovich Posts: 163 Member
    So here is my dilemma. I weigh 316, MFP gave me 2600 cal to eat, but i set it to 2000 cal per day which is 3 pounds a week or %1 of my body weight. Yesterday i walked 7k steps, walked, no run, no other exercise. It gave me an adjustment of 1393, MFP told me to eat 3393 calories.

WTF, no way that is right, that would put me into gain weight. What is going on here?