How to Know what dress size you are after losing?

Options
gophy
gophy Posts: 4 Member
I had my VSG on August 9th and I am already 30lbs down and clothes are getting loose. My question to you all is, how do you know your new size without the trouble of hitting up a dressing room? Since I know I will be in the losing stages for quite awhile, I don't want to buy brand new right away, but at thrift shops which do not always have dressing rooms. Is there any trick to knowing what size you are?

Replies

• Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Taking your measurements can give you a ballpark idea against standard size charts. Of course, this will vary a lot by style and manufacturer.

I hate dressing rooms and I usually have children in tow that makes trying on clothes a pain. I often wear a tank and leggings that I can just slip something on over the top...works fine for tops, dresses, or looser pants.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    anbrdr wrote: »
    Maybe I should try on some dresses

Pictures or it didn't happen :smile:
  • Stephaniev51697
    Stephaniev51697 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »

Pictures or it didn't happen :smile:

OMG! Yes!!!
  • gophy
    Options
    Thanks!

You gave me my laugh for the day!

• amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I always shop at thrift stores, but I did stop going to the ones that don't have changing rooms. When I shop for pants for my husband, I take my cloth tape measure with me so that I can measure the waist & inseam before I buy them since men frequently get their dress pants altered. You could try that--measure your waist, bust, & hips & then measure any dress that looks like it might fit. I would probably ask the employees if you could try the clothes on in their bathroom. I found that my body shape changed as I lost weight & I had to actually try things on to see if they were flattering. Some things looked good that I never would have picked out previously.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Sizes aren't what they used to be and I find sizing varies by designer and manufacturer.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    loveshoe wrote: »
    Sizes aren't what they used to be and I find sizing varies by designer and manufacturer.

Yep, and sometimes even within the same brand!!
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Womens sizing varies so much by brand, cut, etc. I have everything from an 8-12 in my closet that all fit me right now. I mostly wear 10's, so that's where I start when trying things on, but it isn't always the right size for every garment.
  • gophy
    Options
    amyk0202 wrote: »
    I always shop at thrift stores, but I did stop going to the ones that don't have changing rooms. When I shop for pants for my husband, I take my cloth tape measure with me so that I can measure the waist & inseam before I buy them since men frequently get their dress pants altered. You could try that--measure your waist, bust, & hips & then measure any dress that looks like it might fit. I would probably ask the employees if you could try the clothes on in their bathroom. I found that my body shape changed as I lost weight & I had to actually try things on to see if they were flattering. Some things looked good that I never would have picked out previously.

Thanks, this gives me a lot to think about before I spend money on clothes. :)