Fat Fast?

Options
_tierachanel
_tierachanel Posts: 124 Member
Has anyone tried a fat fast? What are your thoughts? I got the idea from a low carb/keto YouTuber and I'm following her plan. (Take a look at my food diary to see)

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I have done a day where I had nothing but bulletproof coffee before. Didn't really get me anywhere with weight loss or anything but it didn't do me any harm. Maybe if I did it on a regular basis... idk I never really tried it regularly.
    I also did an egg fast before. I didn't mind that either. I love eggs and it was no problem at all for me to just eat eggs, cheese and butter for 3 days. I think I did lose a little during that, but it pretty much bounced back up and then down and then up and down again. Lol
    This is just the way my scale weight has been for about a year now though, so I don't think either type of fast was necessarily a good or a bad thing in any way.
    It could be a good way to sort of reset yourself, more a mental thing than anything. But they are great for achieving high ketone production which can make you feel great and kick any out of control cravings to the curb.
  • _tierachanel
    _tierachanel Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm just doing this as a restart. I've been failing miserably when it comes to eating keto the past few weeks. I've been giving into temptations WAY to often this past week due to my TOM. I thought a fat fast would be a good way to start over.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I agree that it can be because I honestly felt really good doing it and there truly is nothing more simple to do. You know what you're eating all day and it really makes life easy. :smile:
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I tried an egg fast and I felt like I was starving. I bet I ate 3000 calories in eggs and butter and I stopped it because for whatever reason my tummy constantly grumbled for more food. I agree that it is a very simple way to get back on track if your body agrees with the plan, which mine did not :smile:
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    You're going to have to explain you are talking about. Are you saying fast FROM fat, or fast from everything that isn't fat?

Personally, I wouldn't recommend either. Eat smart and healthy, your body will take care of the rest.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I go zero carb when I'm struggling with cravings. I'm at about 35-40 g most days now, but I turn to eggs, bacon, butter and beef when I need to refocus for a couple days and I add my carbs back in slowly.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Silverfiend, personally you must be new to LC as fat fasts is well known here as eating only fats..and followers of Dr. Fung who do therapeutic fasting ARE "eating healthy" by giving the pancreas and liver a break from processing foods every few hours the "eating healthy" SAD way. the function of how this works is easily found online. you could have googled it.

To the OP yes, using a fast like this can help if you have been doing LC but are stalled..it has worked for me, most however are not unlimited calories..a cream cheese fat fast is 1000-1200 and limit to 3-5 days.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    @KETOGENICGURL - I couldn't have said it better myself.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I'm not familiar with "fat fasts" either. What do you eat?
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I've done fat fasts all of twice in 2 years for only 3 days each time. Usually you limit your calorie intake to roughly 1200/day and 90% (yes, NINETY percent) of your energy each day comes from health fat which you've eaten during the course of the day.
    MyriiStorm wrote: »
    Sorry, but I'm not familiar with "fat fasts" either. What do you eat?

Basically anything that is high in fat, and low in carbs and protein. No, I'm not being flippant here. I vaguely recall eating macadamia nuts that I had oven-roasted in spices and fat of some kind (probably butter or coconut oil), cream cheese, HWC, salad with dressing (no toppings and not a lot of it), fat bombs, etc. during the fat fast. The reason why I only did 3 day fat fasts was because the food was very boring and monotonous and I couldn't stand to do it for more than 3 days at a time. The first time I did a fat fast was because I was curious about it and wanted to know how or if it worked. I lost 5.6 pounds from it. The second time I did a fat fast was to break a plateau which had me just shy of losing 100 pounds and I was really tired of seeing that triple digit # looming yet not getting closer. It worked and the plateau was broken (yay). I don't remember how much I lost the second time around but I do remember that it wasn' anywhere near as much as the first time around.
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Hm. I might want to try this fat fasting. Scale has been very stubborn. I've been LC for 6 weeks and only down 3#. Losing inches and my clothes are fitting better...but let's have it, that scale has to drop eventually, right?!
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Silverfiend, personally you must be new to LC as fat fasts is well known here as eating only fats..and followers of Dr. Fung who do therapeutic fasting ARE "eating healthy" by giving the pancreas and liver a break from processing foods every few hours the "eating healthy" SAD way. the function of how this works is easily found online. you could have googled it.

To the OP yes, using a fast like this can help if you have been doing LC but are stalled..it has worked for me, most however are not unlimited calories..a cream cheese fat fast is 1000-1200 and limit to 3-5 days.

I would say I'm relatively new, I've only been keto for the last 8 months but this is the first time I have been on a forum about it. It's why I'm here, I'm hoping to learn new things. I will have to check out this Dr. Fung and his ideas.
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Dr. Fung was my first YouTube stop on LCHF. He's the bomb! Also look up Intensive Dietary Management. Here are some links:

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIuj-oMN-Fk

Edited: the first link is to an article, but the YouTube is a different link.