Low Net Carb Bars

Options
PBAUSA
PBAUSA Posts: 8 Member
Any suggestions for a low (net) carb bar? I teach and don't always have time to sit down for a meal - so it would be nice to be able to have these every now and then. Most of the ones I have considered in my local Publix have too much sugar in them or are indeed too high in net carbs. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Replies

• mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    As I'm sure you are only too painfully aware, eating real food (hey, maybe even sitting down!!) is preferable to gulping down what I call factory food on the run. But you gotta do what you gotta do. On a recent trip out of town (flying, not driving, so no opportunity to take real food with us) I ransacked the grocery store for low carb options. The best bets seemed to be low carb shakes, like Atkins, which I had to buy on the other end -- Heaven forbid I take a whole 11 ounces of liquid on an airplane. The protein bars I looked at were more carbs than I wanted to spend and the bite of Clif bar I stole from my husband was more cardboard than brownie. So I'd suggest looking at shakes before bars.

If you can manage to carve out even five minutes of lunchtime, my other suggestion would be to check out Mason jar salads. There are all sorts of recipes out there and when they're packed right it's like having an instant fresh made salad. You can even make them days in advance, keep them refrigerated and they're still good.
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I'll second the comment that your should strive to eat real food if any way possible, even if it means prepping the night before.

If you need an emergency bar, I like the Quest bars the best. They have the lowest sugar content, but they do use sugar alcohols, and these are not all the same, and not even the same for all people. Some people can eat them all day without trouble, other will drop out of ketosis eating one.
  • PBAUSA
    Options
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Quest bars (depending on flavor) can be pretty good, if you can tolerate the soluble corn fiber they switched to a year ago in place of IMO. I couldn't. B-Up bars are similar to the old Quest IMO formulation, but the few flavors I tried were kind of bland.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Unfortunately, the answer to your question is none (and I'm not being sarcastic here either). All protein bars usually have more carbs/sugars in them than you'll want to see on the package label and/or will contain questionable ingredients. If you're going to go the route of protein bars, first find a brand that has flavors you like. Then try eating only part of the bar (1/2, 1/3, 1/4) instead of the whole thing.
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    @ladipoet That's exactly what works for me. 1/2 Quest cc cookie dough per day and I tell myself "That's it!" I buy a box and cut them in 1/2 immediately and put on a high pantry shelf.
  • PBAUSA
    Options
    LauraCoth wrote: »
    You could try making some. There are tons of recipes for low-carb protein bars. They may not be super low-carb, but some of them are definitely lower than the grocery store variety. And some of them are pretty darned tasty.

I am definitely for doing this! Part of the reason I am looking for a low carb bar is that I am getting sick of all the meat and green veg on low carb (and sometimes I am very rushed between teaching my classes on two days a week). I just want something different to eat as a kind of treat. This idea of making my own really appeals! So does cutting a bar in half.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    PBAUSA wrote: »
    You could try making some. There are tons of recipes for low-carb protein bars. They may not be super low-carb, but some of them are definitely lower than the grocery store variety. And some of them are pretty darned tasty.

I am definitely for doing this! Part of the reason I am looking for a low carb bar is that I am getting sick of all the meat and green veg on low carb (and sometimes I am very rushed between teaching my classes on two days a week). I just want something different to eat as a kind of treat. This idea of making my own really appeals! So does cutting a bar in half.

Let us know what goodies you concoct, eh?
  • PBAUSA
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    PBAUSA wrote: »

Let us know what goodies you concoct, eh?

Good suggestion. I guess I need to find some recipes online now! :smiley:

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    There are some folks around these parts who know their way around a kitchen!

I'll bet there are some good recipes floating around....
  • PBAUSA
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    There are some folks around these parts who know their way around a kitchen!

I'll bet there are some good recipes floating around....

Yes, hopefully they will chime in :)
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    supergal3 wrote: »
    @ladipoet That's exactly what works for me. 1/2 Quest cc cookie dough per day and I tell myself "That's it!" I buy a box and cut them in 1/2 immediately and put on a high pantry shelf.

@supergal3 Glad to know I'm not the only one! lol :)
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I have made these several times, they do the job: http://www.sweetcheetah.com/2013/07/diy-quest-bars.html
    And here is another recipe that I have not made because it calls for something called Vitafiber that I can't get here in Japan. http://www.busybuthealthy.com/homemade-quest-protein-bars/

edit to add: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/04/04/homemade-peanut-butter-protein-bars/

Best thing about making your own is that you can make them any size you like, to suit your carb allowance.
  • merflan
    merflan Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I recently found the One bars from Oh Yeah nutrition. 4 grams net carbs in the one I had. I got a couple just to keep in my purse for emergencies.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,425 Member
    Options
    I snack on pecans...maybe that is an option for you?
  • trish55011
    trish55011 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about pemmican? Super low carb, high energy nutrient dense. Native American Indians came up with it many many moons ago. They would take it with them when hunting. It keeps forever. Have been wanting to make some for a while now. That's my project for the weekend. Will let you know how it turns out, or you let me know if you decide to make it first. ;);)