Grocery Store Quick Picks

Options
Does anyone have anything that they eat that is already made in the grocery store when don't have a lot of time that you use as a meal or snack to help you through this way of eating? Such as a yogurt brand or snack or quick lunch idea. Like a brand name of something that would be easy to look for and can incorporate it when don't have time to cook and on the go. Thank you

Replies

• SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    My go tos are single serving bags of peanuts and as always, lunch meats.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    In a pinch, if I'm hungry and not wanting to just push through it or have no idea when I'll be able to get some real food, I have found several things at the store can help me out and still be my kind of food.

Meat sticks or beef jerky are probably my first thought when this happens. Cheese sticks too. Even many gas stations have single cheese sticks in the fridge and I've even found those protein pack things at lots of different stores and gas stations too. They have some meat, cheese and nuts in them. Pretty cheap usually too.

If you're at an actual grocery store you might find cheese curds. They can even come flavored, though those aren't as easy to find. I like the dill ones! You can usually find already cooked and peeled eggs where they have already prepared deli sandwiches and salads. I always keep some salt packets in my purse so I can salt my eggs when I grab them on the run like this.

I used to eat Carb Master yogurt and really liked it, but I try to get as little sweetener as possible these days so that's out for me. It's Kroger brand. If sweeteners are ok for you, it's a good choice. It's low fat though, so it wouldn't stick with you long. I always threw in some coconut flakes to the vanilla flavor, that adds healthy fat.
    Coconut flakes is another great on the go snack. I keep several bags on hand all the time. Some brands have nice big flakes and it's a great snack for taking to the movies or any place that you might want to munch just because everyone else is. :smiley:
    There are better yogurt options but I'm not really familiar with them because frankly I think yogurt is gross without sweetener. I tried to get used to it like I did everything else I cut sweetener from but just couldn't do yogurt.
    That's about all I can think of at the moment
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Hormel natural lunch meats.

Deli-cooked chicken in a pinch (some have added liquids, not too many carbs though)
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    k1owbgmblkrl.jpg

Quick Chek
    Pepper Ham, Genoa Salami, cheese, lettuce, tomato, red onion, oil & vinegar
    extra meat $4.29 I order it with the roll to save time explaining LC.
    Ditch the roll at the table.

>:) or o:)
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Lunch meats
    Hard boiled eggs
    Those Maple Leaf protinis (salsa chicken is 2g of carbs per container)
    Rotisserie chicken
    Some stores have an olive bar
    Or something from the salad bar
  • MerryOne00
    MerryOne00 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Tuna in foil packets - Starkistalbacore is my fav!
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Lunch meats, olives, chicken from the deli section. Beef jerky. Pork scratchings.
    Hard Boiled egg and spinach.
    Prawn snack pots, if I can get them prawn and squid with full fat Marie rose dressing.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Cheese sticks, pork rinds, and kind of seeds and/or nuts, lunch meat, salami, pepperoni, etc.
  • Rebeck1983
    Rebeck1983 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Pepperoni sticks, deli meat, precooked hard boiled eggs, raw mushrooms and flavoured spreadable cream cheese, pre-chopped veggies. Soda water! And pumpkin seeds.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin seeds are something I have recently added and really like as a snack.

As a meal, picking up the pre-made rotisserie chicken is one of my regular go to dinners when I don't have a lot of time - gotta make sure I eat all the skin now. Looking back, I can't believe I used to peel it off because it was "unhealthy!"
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    Pumpkin seeds are something I have recently added and really like as a snack.

As a meal, picking up the pre-made rotisserie chicken is one of my regular go to dinners when I don't have a lot of time - gotta make sure I eat all the skin now. Looking back, I can't believe I used to peel it off because it was "unhealthy!"

I still peal it off... it's a texture thing.

>:) or o:)

• karebear5891
    karebear5891 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have taken applegate roast beef and grass fed butter, torn the roast beef into a mug, added the butter, microwaved until the butter melted and ate it. So easy and amazingly delicious and like a minute to make.
  • CeliaSea
    CeliaSea Posts: 51 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    When I'm in a rush, I grab a rotisserie chicken or steamed shrimp from the seafood counter. If I'm really rushed and don't want to wait for the clerk to cook the shrimp, I'll just grab one of the shrimp cocktail rings that they have in the refrigerated case and ditch the carb-laden sauce. There's also a brand of tuna fillets jarred in olive oil called Tonnino. It's pricey, but it's wonderful and it comes in several flavors. You can just eat it with a fork straight out of the jar. So good: http://www.tonnino.com/
  • xosummerrainxo
    xosummerrainxo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    What is the difference between butter and grass fed butter? Is it really worth the extra money? You always hear about it
  • tribal351
    tribal351 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I keep Aidells smoked chicken sausages on hand. I probably eat 2 per day regularly. 45 seconds in the microwave and ready to go. I like the habenero and pepper jack cheese ones. Perfect for my macros.