So Many Thanks!!! One Question Though...

Options
Well, the weigh-in was today. I am down another 3.5 pounds. In one week. My scale read 240 but when I got to work, all that stuff I can't control put me at 243. Week 1, I lost 9.5 pounds. Week 2, 3.5 pounds.

Question... I want to start exercising some. I have been very sedentary for a long time. I am thinking of walking two miles each morning. How does this factor into the keto way?

Replies

• LemonMarmalade
    LemonMarmalade Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Walking is very good for you. I can't see any reason not to do it if you are able!!

Sounds like you are doing so great! Congratulations on your losses! :)
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    It's great for keto. But you may see an increase on the scale at first from increased fluid retention and inflammation in the muscles.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Exercise is always a great idea. Some have the opinion that a short, high intensity workout is hugely effective for fat loss. But anything you can do consistently will be very beneficial to your overall health.
    It may or may not create any further scale weight loss though
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the loss. I was walking about 5 miles every other day til I found an excuse and plan to start back tomorrow - no more excuses. I found it only made me feel better and want to eat less. Though as already said, as muscle increases, as does weight to an extent. Don't be upset when your loss slows or you gain some.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    What they all said, just wanted to say WELL DONE! You are doing great!
    You can also download one of the 5k apps, and do walking, walking fast etc instead of running/jogging, just to get some variance into the walking and to raise the heartbeat a little.
  • karebear5891
    karebear5891 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    It really is body type dependent. Some people need to start out with low intensity longer exercise to help their bodies heal and prevent cortisol from stopping weight gain. Some people do better with interval training. Walking is a fantastic way to start!
  • Cyndi146
    Cyndi146 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Great job! Congratulations on that great loss. I am one who definitely functions (and losses) better with at least a little movement each day. I can eat at a significant deficit and unless I'm getting a little exercise in, won't see the scale budge at all. Maybe it would over time but I'm just to impatient for that. Walking is a great exercise on keto!
  • collegefbfan
    collegefbfan Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    So what is key to losing more weight? It sounds like this exercise may stall my progress...
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Imagine this, in your hand you are holding 1lbs of muscle and 1 lbs of fat. The muscle looks like a raisin, the fat like a golfball. Just an illustration. Getting fitter is not all about losing weight. Exercise in the long run will loose you inches all over and make you feel great, even when the scale sticks. Personally I think exercise is well worth it. I have had weeks where I have lost no weight, yet my body has shrunk by several inches.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    So what is key to losing more weight? It sounds like this exercise may stall my progress...

That depends on your definition of progress...

The stall would only be temporary and that's it it even happens for you
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options

Do you want fat loss or weight loss?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    If you're considering exercise, this may help you see that keto makes it even more productive in reducing fat.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10338195/want-to-be-a-fat-burner-exercise#latest

It's not unusual for scale weight loss to stall at least for a while. How long that goes on might depend on how much weight you have left to lose and how consistent you are with your exercise.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Walking is excellent. I've taken 5 months off exercise while starting keto to see how my dystonia, a neurological movement disorder that is exacerbated with additional movement, reacted to a ketogenic diet.

During my 1 year weight loss phase I walked or did low impact aerobic or rode a stationary recumbent bike on average of 300 minutes a week. I never noticed any water retention or negative impact on the scale and I could be a bit of a warrior on that bike getting some sore thighs.

I'd just be sensible starting out. I ended up with a bone bruise on my left knee from pounding the pavement which is why I ended up getting the stationary recumbent. Walking will burn a few calories and it is great for your overall health, fitness and well being.

ETA: I'm back at it effective yesterday with the September Challenge and it feels great to move again.
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I absolutely think walking is one of the best things you can do for yourself. In general, I think it is wise to try to find activities and exercise that you really enjoy. That way you have a higher likelihood that you will stick with it.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Walking is good for many reasons, just start slow and build slow.

For at-home exercises, I enjoy Jessica Smith's videos. You can find her on YouTube with everything from light stretching to intense workouts. I bought her "6 week total transformation system" DVD set. It has six different workout sessions with a suggested rotation. These six workouts are all done with her not terribly fit Mom, her very fit friend and herself showing you the beginner, advanced and intermediate version of each move. Easy to follow and, thank goodness, no drill sergeant shouting.

Jessicasmithtv.com has her more recent video selections. I like her videos a lot and I'm probably old enough to be her grandmother.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    @mandycat223. I too, really like jessicasmithtv workouts, I've used only those available on Youtube and subscribe to her free weekly series. Great variety and easily adapted to any level.
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

The key is to not give up on yourself and the diet! Don't worry about day-to-day scale readings. Doing that will only frustrate you. I recommend only once or twice a week weigh-ins. Some weeks you will be down, some will be level, some will be up. But the downs will far outnumber the ups if you don't give up.

ETA - don't look for 4 pounds a week loss. If you are doing this correctly, the scale will slow down after the first few weeks. The first week is always huge because you lose a lot of water weight then too. You can shoot for 2 pounds a week, but if you are hitting 1 pound a week AVERAGE then you should be happy. You spent a lifetime putting on the weight, expect some time to take it off.