Okay... Fighting The Common Cold

Options
I hate the word s i c k... I never say it. I always spell it. So with the season coming up, what do you all do when you feel one coming on? All suggestions welcomed!!!

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I take high dose vitamin c everyday but I take extra if there's any reason I think my system needs a boost. The only time I've been sick in almost 2 years was when I was slacking off on getting my C in.
  • jasperdog52554
    jasperdog52554 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about something similar. I am under the weather as well. Tried to eat some soup, but the baby managed to spill it on me. Shes fine, and it wasn't too hot. Then not feeling well I ate a bunch of pickle wraps.

Even after that I demolished the rest of the family's brownies that I managed to avoid last night.

How do you handle the "comfort eating" when under the weather?
  • collegefbfan
    collegefbfan Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Haven't been there yet. Just started keto. But I used to always make a pot of chicken noodle soup and add garlic and pepper flakes to it and tons of black pepper. When it was hot I ate it straight from pot with a towel on my chest to keep from getting burned. On keto now, can't have noodles.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Tea with lemon and then straight, brown liquor of your choice, followed by something cooked in butter.

Then more tea with lime and then the straight, clear liquor of your choice, followed by, well, liquor. ;)

You should be pretty comfortable by that point!
  • jasperdog52554
    jasperdog52554 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Should have tried booze over brownie :p better luck for me next time. Hoping the cream cheese and salami will slow down all the sugar. Live and learn hopefully
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    As soon as I feel any sign of a cold (sneezing, scratchy throat, cough), I use Zicam. Works better than zinc tablets because you put it right where the nasty viruses are hijacking cells. This usually works well for me.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    I use zinc lozenges (4-8 a day) at the first sign of a sore throat. I haven't had a full cold in years so I figure they must be working. I am also a huge fan of ginger root tea.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'll stay tuned to read all the tips but I really can't remember the last time I was sick. It has been YEARS. Knocking on all the wood I can find...
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Should have tried booze over brownie :p better luck for me next time. Hoping the cream cheese and salami will slow down all the sugar. Live and learn hopefully

Realistically, I just don't have tempting stuff around.

Like Dr. Bernstein said, "The human species was not built to resist temptation and recover perfectly after one minor slip." (Or thereabouts.)

My wife has a treasure trove of chips, chocolate, and god knows what else larded away in her car, which I never drive, and she stashes it elsewhere before we go out of town together. (I suspect they wind up under the blankets in the cat carriers, but I haven't checked.)

I don't know how feasible that is in your situation...

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Haven't been there yet. Just started keto. But I used to always make a pot of chicken noodle soup and add garlic and pepper flakes to it and tons of black pepper. When it was hot I ate it straight from pot with a towel on my chest to keep from getting burned. On keto now, can't have noodles.

Oh that's an easy fix: use shirataki noodles or just make the noodles out of meat:

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/these-chicken-noodles-are-made-out-of-chicken-it-s-a-little-crazy-also-delicious

http://momofukufor2.com/2010/05/meat-glue-week-shrimp-noodles/
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat with @Sunny_Bunny_ I take vitamin c daily. If I feel any cold symptoms I double up the dose, and the symptoms go away. This has worked for me even for years before LCHF.
  • collegefbfan
    Options
    Ok, so what if it comes to things like cough drops and the little cinnamon discs. I am eating no sugar, and I hate sugar alcohols, make me potty too much. So any ideas? Thanks
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I take the vitamin Echinacea at the first sign of a cold. Two tablets in the morning, two at night. I swear by that stuff.

Also, there's egg drop soup. Sooo good!

A tablespoon or two of butter, a bouillon cube, chicken stock, and bring to a boil. Turn off heat, crack some eggs and let it cook for about two minutes. Stir with a fork. Yum!
    You can add spices like garlic or onion powder, maybe some oregano... I like to make mine spicy with chili pepper flakes. But don't add chili if your throat is irritated lol
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Ok, so what if it comes to things like cough drops and the little cinnamon discs. I am eating no sugar, and I hate sugar alcohols, make me potty too much. So any ideas? Thanks

Take the C and you may not get sick enough to need them.
    But, you could try peppermint tea or essential oil in some coconut oil as a rub instead.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I am new to Vitamin C relatively speaking but the book I just read made me a believer in high dosage Vit C so I will see how it serves me.

medfoxpub.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/00729.2.077440273915517197

I got the 4th edition printed in 2011 and the last chapter was about liposomal's and just that was worth the $12 plus $3.99 shipping that I paid.
  • Riche120
    Riche120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Tea with lemon and then straight, brown liquor of your choice, followed by something cooked in butter.

Then more tea with lime and then the straight, clear liquor of your choice, followed by, well, liquor. ;)

You should be pretty comfortable by that point!

I will remember this if I ever get sick. I always knew tequila had to have some kind of health benefit :wink:

I think I've had maybe one or two colds in the last decade, and have never had the flu, but one of my sons swears drinking Airborne works if you start drinking it when the people around you are sick.

• collegefbfan
    Options
    Well. I would be drinking it forever due to the fact that I teach 6th grade. I guess taking vitamin C as a preventive measures is the way to go. Any other ideas? Does anyone do nasal flushes during spring and fall?
  • Riche120
    Riche120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My husband uses a Nettie Pot every day and swears it helps. He used to get a lot of sinus headaches and very rarely has them now.

I used to work for the school district up until this year, so I completely get the fact you would be drinking Airborne non-stop. From what I understand it was actually invented by a teacher because of all of the little germy ones. :)
  • collegefbfan
    Options
    I will say it hasn't been as bad as usual. Clear mucous and just stopped up some. Neti pot 3 times today. As far as vitamin C goes. How much per day? Do I gradually build up to it or what?
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Riche120 wrote: »
    My husband uses a Nettie Pot every day and swears it helps.

At the table?

https://youtu.be/ysCjoa2tS-M