Total carbs or net carbs

Options
Magic18
Magic18 Posts: 71 Member
I have been recommended by a nutritionist to try a ketogenic diet. My question to you, and I know it is a debate and depends on the person, but I am curious what the majority are doing. For those on a Keto diet vs a low carb diet, do you count total carbs or do you subtract fiber and .5 points for sugar alcohols or just the fiber? Thanks!

Right now I am subtracting fiber but not sugar alcohol and weening myself down slowly as I'm switching from a low fat diet. In two weeks I've gone from about 150 net carb to 50-60. My goal will be 30-40 next week so I hope to reach a ketogenic state soon although I've already seen several inches, I'm guessing water weight, come off me.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I don't subtract sugar alcohols. They tend to mess with my digestion (I can only use SweetLeaf Stevia so far without impact). I do subtract fiber most of the time. I don't tightly count anymore, but my goal was generally 25-30 net, 50 total - or something similar. That way I still had similar goals - and I wasn't allowing the "fiber/SA discount" to overtake too much. I also don't care too much if I go over because I ate more broccoli or something...

Mainly, the key thing is to do it consistently, whichever method you choose. But I mainly have a loose target for both, tied together...

Another "sister" group a log of us participate in is: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

It has a fabulous launchpad with tons of resources on how to avoid the so-called keto flu and many things in the stickied post. It covers all types of low carb dieting - as well as many recipes, book resources, and veterans from the trenches who've learned tips and tricks of surviving.

Honestly, I think it is fabulous that your nutritionist sent you on this path - so many in the medical field don't accept it yet for what it can do... Best of luck to you!
  • Magic18
    Magic18 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your reply. My concern is being new I've had days where I have gone over and netted 70 or so and I was told that all it takes to get your body out of ketosis is one day of too many carbs so I'm not there yet even though I am seeing progress.

I appreciate the link to the other group, will join as I can use as many resources as possible.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    don't sweat it, but if you want more calories, choose fats, and do look into using mct oil, coconut oil to balance things out.
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Total.

Neat, clean, unambiguous.

Start at 20.

If you 'tolerate' carbs OK, you will be able to make progress and still feel better as that count increases, but you will have a good baseline.

There are many variables, all of which you'll read about in the various threads, but in my view they needlessly complicate what is in reality a simple approach to fueling our minds and bodies efficiently and deliciously.

YMMV