Low carbers - Starbucks is now offering almond milk in the US!

Options
Sarahb29
Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
I'm so excited, this has been something I've requested a few times :) 4 net carbs per cup. It's their own recipe so it can be frothed and steamed like the other milks. Major win for us low carbers on the go.

http://www.self.com/trending/2016/09/nutritionists-review-starbucks-almondmilk/

Full description:

"One cup of Starbucks’ almondmilk contains: 60 calories, 4 grams fat, 110 mg sodium, 5 grams carbohydrate, 1 gram fiber, 3 grams sugar, and 2 grams of protein. In comparison, a cup of the coconut milk at Starbucks delivers 8.5 grams of sugar, while the soy milk packs in 13.5 grams of sugar per cup. In addition, the new almond milk delivers 30 percent of the daily value of calcium and vitamin D, 10 percent of the daily value of vitamin A, and 2 percent of the daily value for iron."

Beware though - this doesn't mean we can all run out and get a PSL with almondmilk. The PSL syrup itself has too much sugar, so at best it would just lower the sugar content of the drink as a whole. Be careful about the syrups they add when going to order.

Replies

• lisajuly
    lisajuly Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    My starbucks isn't getting it until the end of the month. Whatever you do, don't get their coconut milk. Tons of added sugar. Boooo!
  • Sarahb29
    Options
    Ugh I know, I looked up their nutritional information before ordering and was disappointed that it wasn't unsweetened coconut milk. I usually get HWC in my coffee but if I wanted a lattee that's a heavy hit to my calories for the day.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm missing something but it looks like the coconut milk is only barely over 1g carbs per ounce...
    I get it all the time when I get an iced americano. Probably about 3 ounces, so it's only about 3.2g
  • Sarahb29
    Options
    Yeah, it would make a big difference in drinks which are mostly milk, like a latte or Misto. A grande latte w/coconut milk is 15g of carbs so for me that would eat up almost my whole daily allowance of carbs and I couldn't ever get one. If I used HWC instead of milk I'd be taking a big hit on my calorie goal so I couldn't do that either.

An iced americano is all coffee unless you're adding a splash of coconut milk so there's not a huge difference for that one.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    At lunch I tried the latte macchiato with almond milk...8 carbs vs. 19 in real milk so a significant savings! I'll probably get cappuccinos from now on which will be even less carby! It frothed nicely. It isn't sweet but has a nice subtle almond flavor that mixes well with the espresso. Overall I'm impressed!
  • BennettVicious
    BennettVicious Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Oh, that's great news! I usually end up getting a cup 1 size larger than my drink, then bringing my unsweetened Silk with me. Haha!
  • KetoLady86
    KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I just get heavy whipping cream in mine...no milk
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    KetoLady86 wrote: »
    I just get heavy whipping cream in mine...no milk

Same here, doesn't take much either to make it super creamy
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Oh, that's great news! I usually end up getting a cup 1 size larger than my drink, then bringing my unsweetened Silk with me. Haha!

I'm betting the unsweetened Silk is still lower in carbs per serving that Starbucks new offering of almond milk!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Unsweetened Vanilla is only 40 cal, 3.5g fat, 2g carb and 1g fibre (1 net carb)/cup. That's what I use when I want milk. I bring my own if necessary but hate Starbucks coffee anyhow. I like Seattle's Best, Kicking Horse, and Marley Coffee when I'm coffeeing out.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Kicking Horse, @canadjineh? Sounds a little edgy.... (Let me guess - double quad espresso with an extra shot?)
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Kicking horse is the only coffee I buy. I even bring it to the office and make it in the french press (even though the office provides coffee for us). I'm seriously the coffee snob around here. One of these days I plan on going to their cafe in Invermere. It's only about 4 hours away....this weekend I'm heading East so it'll only be an hour away....I wonder if I can convince my other half to take a little detour. >:)

ETA: I got way too excited about kicking horse coffee and forgot to actually speak to the original post. I'm super excited about the almond milk coming to starbucks. Every once in a while I like a latte or something (which I haven't been doing since keto) but this might make it a possibility. I periodically head to the states since I live on a border town. Hopefully they get it in Canada soon though so I don't even have to hop the border to try!
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    coffee is not a milky drink, people!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    lodro wrote: »
    coffee is not a milky drink, people!

I think the point may be that "milk" does not curdle or explode if you add some coffee...
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    @RalfLott Kicking Horse is a Canadian coffee brand.

https://www.kickinghorsecoffee.com/en

Very good coffee with funny names suck as Kick *kitten* lol
  • RalfLott
    Options
    They don't really kick kittens...??
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    They don't really kick kittens...??

Let's hope not!

Hope they don't kick horses either.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    'Kicking Horse' name Wiki info: for @RalfLott and other non Western Canadians. "The Kicking Horse River is in the Canadian Rockies of southeastern British Columbia, Canada.[2] The river was named in 1858, when James Hector, a member of the Palliser Expedition, reported being kicked by his packhorse while exploring the river. Hector named the river and the associated pass as a result of the incident. The Kicking Horse Pass, which connects through the Rockies to the valley of the Bow River, was the route through the mountains subsequently taken by the Canadian Pacific Railway when it was constructed during the 1880s. The railway's Big Hill and associated Spiral Tunnels are in the Kicking Horse valley and were necessitated by the steep rate of descent of the river and its valley.

Kicking Horse Pedestrian Bridge in Golden is the longest authentic covered timber-frame bridge in Canada.[3] Planned as a community project by the Timber Framers Guild, local volunteers were joined by carpenters and timber framers from Canada, the United States and Europe. The bridge structure is 150 feet (46 m) long, with a 210,000-pound (95,000 kg) Burr arch structure. The bridge was completed in September 2001.
    "

My nephew is a beekeeper in Invermere. I visit him as an excuse to go to Kicking Horse Coffee cafe. They sponsor Banff Mountain Film Festival.... MOST AWESOME THING EVAH! Kicking Horse is at 5:53 in the clip below.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=bHnqUQ1c6yc
    Just hearing the music every year gives me chills!

I generally drink my coffee strong & black, no sweetener, but sometimes I'll get a latte with almond milk, no sweetener.