September Workout Thread!

Options

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    It is nice to not go in to work for a couple of days. Slept in on purpose this time instead of planning to get up and failing. Then did some work with sister though we only got a couple of orders done as she got something else going so I came back home and instead did the adult thing, I did my laundry. It was well over due. Nice to have all my workout clothes and socks clean again. Did some grocery shopping too. Ate better today as didn't ever almost 1,000 before 2 pm. Even with eating Jack in the Box, it was better. Well, just had two tacos no cheese from there. Stomach got upset today though both after lunch and in workout couple of hours after dinner. Both inconvenient times is that I was at the grocery store when it started to get cranky for the first time and on the treadmill jogging for the second time. No fun. Only did a two minute walk after my jog cause yeah, stomach wasn't happy. Other than that, not a bad day. Still have a lot to do and many ideas formulating in my head.

Upper Body CTE

Warm up: 5 minutes elliptical, 3x10 band pull aparts, bench 2x10 @ 45 and 1x9 @ 65
    Time for 1 minute: bench - 85 x 14, bent over row 80 x 14, overhead tricep 20 x 18, face pull 35 x 20
    bench 3x7 @ 85
    bent over row 3x7 @ 80
    overhead tricep 3x9 @ 20
    face pull 3x10 @ 35

Then for fun cable bicep curls 3x10 @ 30 and a 30 minute jog on treadmill.
  • jowaring
    jowaring Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Did today's workout before work,made a big difference energy wise.
    Squat 5x5@82 lb .no groin pain yay!
    Bench press 5x5 @60 lb.finally did the full set.
    Row 5x5 @55 lb.
    Hope everyone has a great weekend.
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Yesterdays workout: warm up sets, then
    Squat: 5x5x115#
    OHP: 5x5x65#
    Deadlift: 3x1x195#

Today's plan is rest with some stretching and mobility work throughout the day. :) I wanted to ask if it is ok to post progress pics? I'm excited about my back development but don't want to be obnoxious. ;)
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,135 Member
    Options
    Stronglift Workout A
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75/85/95, 5X5X 100
    BP-1X5X 55/65/75, 5X5X 85
    BR-5X5X 85

Kettlebell Swing
    Russian kettle bell swing-23X 10 X 35

Walk 1,000 Miles Challenge
    5 miles
  • Bmoremama
    Bmoremama Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was a good day for once squatted 125lbs again and it's starting to feel good.

I rocked my OHP after a deload, back up a bit to 55lbs. I failed 60 so many times that I had gone back to 50, so I'm happy to finally be doing 55 well.

Deadlift was 155 and it was seriously super hard. I can't imagine doing more.
  • Bmoremama
    Bmoremama Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I wanted to ask if it is ok to post progress pics? I'm excited about my back development but don't want to be obnoxious. ;)

I think it would be great!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i love progress pics, me. so please do ^^^
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    i quit my job on friday, at least on paper. in practice i'll work through the coming week (unless i or they change our minds and don't feel like it).

so, feeling clearer in some ways. was in the gym this morning at 8:30 am and much more able to focus.

bench . . . i only got as high as 80 pounds. disappointing, because i think according to wendler i should be at 90 for top set right now. but i don't regret leaving it there. couldn't quite get my setup dialed in as well as last time, and i also had some weird dyslexic moments in the later sets where i couldn't work out how to unrack either.

did some extra volume at much lower weights to try and make up for it and to keep picking away at that sweet spot for form . . . plus a lot of upper-back work with bands and rows and pulldowns. so i didn't bench according to plan but i did do upper-body work for sure.

squats . . . i have done something to my right-side hip flexor. rectus femoris or whatever . . . something quite bad as far as pain goes. it's been brewing for months at one specific point in my squats but has felt like it was going redline all weekend. i squatted anyway though. i don't officially advocate hurting yourself just so you'll have a really clear chance to learn about what not to do from the physical feedback that gives. of course not. but with that said, i think i've figured out what this issue has been. boring alert . . .
    i had been blaming positioning. thinking it was physical impingement, aka my sloppy habit of just letting my pelvis tilt way forwards as i go down. so spending months tinkering around to try and find some arbitrary 'better' angle for the whole move. what i think now is that it that grindy red-alert pinch comes on right when i'm starting back UP from the hole, in other words when the angle between my pelvis and femur starts to open again. and it only lasts for a few inches out of the whole rom. it's when i'm reversing directions, basically.

so all of a sudden i got smart again and realized that means it can't be impingement, you fool. not if you dont' feel it until you start up. if it were impingement i'd feel it as i go into the hole when the angle is most acute, and then it would be better as soon as i start to come up. so what that probably means is probably obvious: it's your glutes, stupid. or rather, it's not-your-glutes. i actually dive into my squats and pmuch let geometry stop me at the bottom. and then instead of having my bum gathered in underneath me, i'm using that poor stuff at the front of my hip to try and haul myself into moving in the other direction (upwards) and stand me back up. you silly sloppy moron and author of half your own problems, you :p

so i did do squats, but not for weight. the mission was just 'do it and DON'T let those sore muscles fire. no other goals. and once you've done one set without calling on them, try for another like that. and then another like that, until you have three sets of five in a row.' i stopped every set as soon as i did one rep wrong, paused between sets long enough to get an honest feel for whether the bad point was irritated, and used the safety rails to do a bit of split-squatting in the meantime and stretch out my quads. and then i would do it again. i squatted a metric bunch and never went higher than 55 pounds, because i also want to let my whole body sleep on it and see how it feels tomorrow.

and i made another change too. or at least, i went back and actually worked through my setup and getting into position before i would start on a rep. i was in that rack for a while, i'll tell you :D sometimes it would take me a minute or two to get everything properly organized, but it really felt like it was paying off. aside from the one red zone in that hip, everything else felt really springy and elastic and strong. it got me excited and happy with the mere idea of doing back squats again.

plan from here is: keep squatting with just the bar or with very light weights, using this setup and this set of rules. that's to test whether i'm truly onto the fix, because if i am then this inflammation should start to fade as the area's not being stressed any more. essentially, i want it just to be 'active recovery' mode. and THEN when (if) the inflammation is way down or even gone . . . THEN i will start again adding weight.
  • jhmomofmany
    Options
    What's the deal with feeling so strong one workout, so weak the next?? Today's workout was hard. Warm up, then:
    Squat 5x5x110#
    Bench 3x3x80 then 2x5x70#
    Row 5/5/5/4/5 75#

Decided not to do any accessory work today so I'll have time to take the little ones for a walk. It's beautiful outside. Happy Monday!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Went to the gym last night after working until 11 pm, then had to be at work again at 7 am, which meant leaving home at 6 am. So, I got maybe 4 hours of sleep. Monthly cycle started yesterday too, so that's all kinds of fun. It's not too bad on the cramps so far but we'll see how the next couple of days go. Also, have a job interview tomorrow. It's retail but different than my current one. Gonna go and see what happens. On top of all that, my stepsister is at 40 weeks in her pregnancy and they might end up inducing labor, so might have a nephew very soon.

front squats 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 70, 3x6 @ 100
    good morning 3x10 @ 100
    deadlift 1x6 @ 135, 1x5 @ 185, belt 1x3 @ 205
    belt & liquid chalk 2x4 @ 225 and 2x3 @ 235

The 235 were on the slow side but I did it.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Workout B
    Squats- 1x5x55/65/75/85/95, 5x5x100
    OHP- 1x5x45/50/55/60, 5x5x55
    DL- 1x5x135

Kettlebell Swing
    Russian Kettlebell swing- 20x10x35
  • canadianlbs
    edited September 2016
    Options
    drive-by visit to gym on way home, in which i had the shoes on but nothing else for doing squats. no bum, no legs, no motivation, no heart.

so i did bench. it's the other hting i can do in these shoes without destabilizing myself. still can't find 80 or whatever i'm meant to be pressing by now, but i worked carefully up to 3x5 at 75 and then called it a day. now i'm that guy who goes into the gym, does bench press and leaves.
  • jowaring
    jowaring Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    squats 5x5@90lbs.
    ohp 5x5@40lbs.
    deadlift 1x5@105lbs.
    going to stay at these weights next time,squats felt really difficult today.
  • fanncy0626
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    GobletSquats- 3x5x40
    Russian Kettlebell swing- 13x7x40
    Week two, day one of transitioning from 35 pound kettle bell to the 40 pound kettle bell. It still feels heavy especially when I first swing it up to do the goblet squats.

5 miles
  • jhmomofmany
    Options
    Y'all are awesome. I love reading everybody's workouts!

SL rest day for me. Went for a 40 min walk/jog with the doggie, then dos about 20 minutes kettlebell and accessory DB work as a circuit. Then practiced handstands. :)
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Today was not very productive, thinking I might have to deload my squat.

3x3x175 squat. This was hard, I could not do 5. going to deload to 170 and push for 5x5
    No bench. They were used up and I ran out of time.
    10x10x65 rows
    3x8x10 arm lift
    3x8x20 butterfly

After doing those dumbell exercises I realized how really week my delts are, so my plan is to getting those suckers strong!!! :p
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's workout:

Squats: 3x5 135lbs. I'm still dealing with my right foot/leg issue, which causes some stability issues. I'm going to stick to this weight/reps until I'm sure it's back to normal.

Bench: 5x5 100lbs. Yay! This was my first goal for bench when starting the program :p

Row: 5x5 100lbs. This feels so heavy to me
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Nicely done @kandeye :#
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift5x5 Workout A
    Squat-1X5X 55/65/75/85/95, 5X5X 100
    BP-1X5X 55/65/75, 5X5X 85
    BR-5X5X 85

Kettlebell Swing
    Russian kettle bell swing-23X 10 X 35

5 miles
  • jhmomofmany
    Options
    Took everything down in weight today. Was not feeling up to lifting at all tbh. Warm up, then:
    Squat: 5x5x95#
    OHP: 3x5x70# 2x5x65#
    DL: 3x1x195#

And that was IT.