Best foods for boosting Magnesium, Potassium and Sodium levels..

So I'm not a fan of pharmaceutical drugs, don't care how "natural" they claim them to be. I prefer consuming my foods as naturally as possible... Any ideas from fellow Keto or low carbers?

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Brussels sprouts & beet greens are way high in potassium in addition to the ones Shadow mentioned.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Phrick wrote: »
    Brussels sprouts & beet greens are way high in potassium in addition to the ones Shadow mentioned.

Beet greens? As in the leaves of the beet plant, or...?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Phrick wrote: »

Beet greens? As in the leaves of the beet plant, or...?

The "tops" yep.
    http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/beet-greens.html
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    I'm not one to supplement and strive to get nutrients through food. I'm sure I researched these foods below so they have become staples in my diary for potassium/magnesium:

spinach
    pumpkin seeds
    flaxseed meal (I use only with yogurt and avocados. Why? Dunno. I like it.)
    salmon
    avocado
    almonds
    mushrooms
    beet greens
    collards
    FF yogurt (dairy has potassium and is delicious)

Sodium is an easy list for me cuz I restricted it for so long and now enjoy:
    ham
    sauerkraut
    shrimp
    crab
    sausages (Italian, Brats, kielbassi, hot dogs)
    pickles
    salty broth
    cheese
    Requested list stops here.

Favored veg (or arguably fruit for some) for variety:
    Broccoli
    cauliflower in cauliflower form
    cabbage
    green beans
    did I say collards? :)
    Kale
    also: cucs, celery, zucchini, spaghetti squash, peppers,radishes
    even some: tomatoes, carrots, onions, beets

Other frequent stuff cuz I like it and think it adds something:
    coconut oil
    unsweetened coconut
    nuts in general. Currently loving black walnuts.
    eggs
    coffee
    more seafood. DH works PT for seafood co. that makes 3 trips to NC coast, weekly. :)
    beef, pork, chicken. Fatty or lean. Add butter, oil, bacon grease, cream sauce if wanted.
    butter and other full fat dairy (HWC, Greek yogurt, sour cream, cream cheese=staples)
    Olive oil, avocado oil
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    I am definitely trying those beet greens... Any suggestions for cooking them? Can they be eaten raw?
  • kpk54
    I eat baby beet greens raw in salads. When I cook them (mature beet greens) it is usually fairly lightly cooked (sauteed or boiled) and I like a little vinegar and/or hot sauce on them. Kinda like collards. I like raw baby beet greens better.

Beet greens are also high in sodium (at least on the nutritional charts I've seen).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I am definitely trying those beet greens... Any suggestions for cooking them? Can they be eaten raw?
    I stir fry them or cook them as I would kale. Anything I could do with kale I do with beet greens.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited September 2016
    I stir fry them or cook them as I would kale. Anything I could do with kale I do with beet greens.

Warning: There is a variety of beet greens that, like the beet itself, should never make its way past your incisors....

I have sampled both... and even a glass of "wine" produced from this vulgarity. It was, well, ...... :s .....
  • kpk54
    edited September 2016
    Mineral supplements aren't drugs though...

Shrugs. I get your gist however as much as I have read in this forum about supplementation with magnesium for physiological effect, I really don't have difficulty with associating it with the term "drug". As much as I have read in this forum regarding caution with supplementation of potassium, I have no problem associating it with the term "drug".

I see bulletins/posters in various doc offices regarding supplementation and their physiological effect. I know that on the few occasions I have been to a doctor's office (of every type) I am asked to bring a list of current medications including supplements.

If supplements did not cause a physiological effect to our bodies there would be no reason to supplement. And yes, in the broad scope of the term, food is a drug. When my mother was taking warfarin/coumadin, she was strictly advised not to eat leafy greens (especially spinach), grapefruit and some other specific foods due to their interactions with medications. She was also definitely advised to not start any supplementation without physician approval. One can twist it around and say, "well if she already weren't taking drugs/meds this wouldn't be the case". Not necessarily true.

Many people in this forum are very knowledgeable regarding the effects of the supplements they take and therefore proceed with reason. Some individuals simply start buying and popping supplements simply because the supplements are recommended.

Rant over. <3

ETA: Rant expanded to include those supplements taken for their "psychological" effect. <3
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Mineral supplements aren't drugs though...

Shrugs. I get your gist however as much as I have read in this forum about supplementation with magnesium for physiological effect, I really don't have difficulty with associating it with the term "drug". As much as I have read in this forum regarding caution with supplementation of potassium, I have no problem associating it with the term "drug".

I see bulletins/posters in various doc offices regarding supplementation and their physiological effect. I know that on the few occasions I have been to a doctor's office (of every type) I am asked to bring a list of current medications including supplements.

If supplements did not cause a physiological effect to our bodies there would be no reason to supplement. And yes, in the broad scope of the term, food is a drug. When my mother was taking warfarin/coumadin, she was strictly advised not to eat leafy greens (especially spinach), grapefruit and some other specific foods due to their interactions with medications. She was also definitely advised to not start any supplementation without physician approval. One can twist it around and say, "well if she already weren't taking drugs/meds this wouldn't be the case". Not necessarily true.

Many people in this forum are very knowledgeable regarding the effects of the supplements they take and therefore proceed with reason. Some individuals simply start buying and popping supplements simply because the supplements are recommended.

Rant over. <3

ETA: Rant expanded to include those supplements taken for their "psychological" effect. <3

I get what you're saying as well. I just think that there's so much potential benefit from supplements that to apply the aversion of using a drug to them is unfortunate. Supplementing is a personal choice of course.
    I'm clearly pro supplementing and its because I want to supply all that my body can use, not just the minimum required to support basic health. That's just something I personally believe is best for my overall best possible health. Since I'm not perfect on about a million other things that could help me be of best health, I do the things that I find sustainable, easy enough and work and fit my life.
    I have definitely also developed that way of thinking from so many on here that had all the expected symptoms of going low carb clear up upon using supplements.
    Would supplying everything through food alone be a great way to go? Sure. For the amounts of certain things that I want to maximize though, it would be impossible for me to consume that much food every day. And just like discovering low carb and the different way of thinking about food that goes along with it, being introduced to using supplements is just another tool that can be used. I think associating them as drugs and the idea that we prefer to not have to resort to using drugs if possible is a negative way of thinking about supplements that is not unlike much of the negativity we hear about going low carb.