Craving a diet coke

Options
jcavanna2
jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
Hey all..had gastric bypass this past April. Been craving a Diet Coke. Does anyone have the occasional indulgence? I never have yet but just want a sip or two..

Replies

• Tristaan
    Tristaan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Yes- physically I have no problem tolerating carbonation as long as I drink it slowly. But- I'll caution you, the "just a couple sips/bites/etc". can be a really slippery slope. :)
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    Definitely good to know. I want a big soda drinker before but just craving the taste of something different :)
  • boncharlie
    boncharlie Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Omg - I have been battling with this. I had a sleeve in October last year and have probably had a few mouthfuls here and there so last night I decided to have some sprite........ MISTAKE!! 1 glass later and I was in sooooo much pain. Will stick to my cordial and flavoured water from now on...
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    Good to know! I was never a big soda drinker to be honest. Prior to surgery I only had it when we went out to eat on the weekend and only occasionally..my drink of choice has been water for many, many years but for whatever reason O got this overwhelming craving. I think a sip or two is all I need but I may stay away - at least for a little bit since I am not quite 6 mos post op
  • Mandy_1982
    Mandy_1982 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    My dietitian told me that having carbonated beverages such as soda after surgery would expand the new stomach/pouch and that wouldn't be a good thing. I don't think a sip here or there would expand it that much, but I don't know for sure. I pretty sure that I will be staying away from carbonation as I don't want to take any chance of the side effects (plus I was never a big soda drinker in the first place).
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    @Mandy_1982 I agree with you - my surgeon said the same thing about expanding the pouch, though I have heard of people who go back to having diet soda after surgery. Just had a really overwhelming urge this past weekend, but never been much of a soda drinker to begin with. Handful my the urge is gone but not sure if I ever will indulge because so don't want to chance getting sick from a sip or two of Diet Coke - it's not worth it :)
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I can't completely quit my Diet Dr. Peppers but I indulge in them a LOT less frequently than I ever used to drink them. My advice: ignoring a craving can spiral you into other stuff, so indulging every so often will not hurt unless it's a true trigger food. With carbonated beverages, it's best to pour a set amount into a cup and then let it sit for a while (like 30-45 minutes) to lose some of the intense fizz. Basically, let it go a little flat. Then you can sip it, still get the flavor but the gas is mostly gone and won't hurt your stomach.

At some point, you have to decide if the craving is worth the hassle mentioned above for pain-free drinking and you may just decide it's not. That said, the method I mentioned above has worked pretty well for me in dealing with soda cravings. Even indulging them, I may drink a soft drink like once a week or something. It's mostly coffee, tea and water for me.
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    @cmchandler74 appreciate that insight - never would have thought about letting the Diet Coke sit for a bit. To be honest with you, it's not really worth getting potentially sick over. I am and have been a water girl but I do enjoy my decaf coffee too :)
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Meh. There is not enough carbonation in a soda to stretch your pouch. Try filling a balloon with soda and see how much it expands. Balloons expand easier than your stomach. I don't know why centers keep perpetuating these claims.

That being said, I don't drink carbonation OFTEN. When I do, it's never a full can and it lasts me HOURS. I hate flat drinks, they taste off. HOWEVER, the carbonation HURTS. Heh. So, I take BABY sips and sip it SLOWLY. This past weekend I had a can of diet cream soda. Had such a taste and it was $0.33...so I bought one. Had about 3/4 of a can over 3 hours.

Try it, see how it goes. I think a lot of the "slippery slope" is then mental. Giving in to a regular soda, or a few bites of fried food, or that fried sandwich, or...or...or...
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    That's exactly it. the slippery slope effect. I think a lot of what some of the bari centers tell you is intentionally blown out of proportion, just to keep people from wanting to go back to old habits.
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    Couldn't agree with you more anbrdr and NicoleL874. I have always allowed myself to indulge, so that I didn't ever feel deprived. I don't think that I would have a little soda and go off the charts with it. I have had real ice cream, real cake, real pizza, etc. but the key now is that I can eat so much less of it. When I started the process I told my bariatrician, surgeon, etc. that if I was never going to be able to have these things ever again after surgery then I would not have surgery - especially since I started losing with following the bariatrician's modified eating plan (drastically reduced my carb intake -- especially fruit!). If I get a craving again, I may give in to it. For now, no real desire for a diet coke :)
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    NicoleL874 wrote: »
    Meh. There is not enough carbonation in a soda to stretch your pouch. Try filling a balloon with soda and see how much it expands. Balloons expand easier than your stomach. I don't know why centers keep perpetuating these claims.

Yes! Totally agree! I drank LOTS of diet soda before surgery. Now, its maybe a fewcans a week. I just don't crave it anymore. Mostly water for me. I like the Mio flavor addidives.
  • nimietyisnotenough
    Options
    My surgeon's plan says carbonation is fine after three weeks (i.e. that it doesn't "stretch the sleeve")—which has been great for me because I'm a huge seltzer drinker. I do find that it takes some technique, and I no longer like things as carbonated as I used to, which isn't a problem because I have a SodaStream machine and do my own fizzing! I've also craved Diet Coke, but haven't gone for it yet—I'm only six weeks out, so I'm giving it some time, but I anticipate that there's an occasional Diet Coke in my future. Just probably not three a day, like before surgery.
  • Mandy_1982
    Mandy_1982 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    That is strange how some places say no carbonation and others are OK with it. My dietitian is really against it and she had me thinking I could never drink it again.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Mandy_1982 wrote: »
    That is strange how some places say no carbonation and others are OK with it. My dietitian is really against it and she had me thinking I could never drink it again.

This is how I handle "definites" with ANY professional..."Why? Can you please supply me with copies of studies or names of studies so I can read the information. That way I can understand better." I deal with "shouldn't" better than "can't".
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I'm drinking diet ginger ale right now and it's delicious.
  • asongforholly
    asongforholly Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Soda and I don't mix. One cup and I'm in pain. So I avoid it. Last time I had a diet dr. pepper was over a year ago. But it's not worth the physical hurt for it.
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    I haven't had soda yet but in no big rush. I may try next time I get a craving. About 2 mos ago I tried the Starbucks sangria tea and I didn't know it was carbonated - it didn't seem to bother me but it's not as fizzy as soda. Couldn't drink more than 2 sips of it because it was way too sweet for me
  • Tristaan
    Tristaan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If you just miss the occasional "fizz", those LaCroix waters are awesome. They're not as fizzy as a Coke, and have no sweeteners, etc. I've learned to like them alot. :)
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    I love La Croix! When the craving hit it was for the DC taste but my friends were having LaCroix at dinner - I was a bit envious of that vs my water but not to the point where I felt deprived not having it. I may get some so I have it on hand in case I want something a bit different :)