My cholesterol is high?

Options
I never had bad bloodwork in my life. Ive been doing keto for 2 months and just got the results of my bloodwork from my physical, and it said both cholesterols were higher than they would like. not high enough for medication though. My doctor recommended "dietary changes" lol.
I remember seeing people mentioning that those tests weren't accurate anyway? or that it wasn't necessarily bad or something. can anyone elaborate or explain why its gone up since starting keto?

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Kinda the whole idea that high cholesterol is even a concern to begin with is highly debated.
    You need cholesterol. It's absolutely essential for life. This woe tends to make all the right kinds of them grow in numbers and all the wrong kinds get smaller.
    I'll find the link where @GaleHawkins shared his great success story
  • ominousdusk
    ominousdusk Posts: 62 Member
    Options

Thanks so much! I think this was the thread I was trying to find before!
  • CMYKRGB
    CMYKRGB Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My cholesterol levels went up in direct correlation of my estrogen levels going down.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I never had bad bloodwork in my life. Ive been doing keto for 2 months and just got the results of my bloodwork from my physical, and it said both cholesterols were higher than they would like. not high enough for medication though. My doctor recommended "dietary changes" lol.
    I remember seeing people mentioning that those tests weren't accurate anyway? or that it wasn't necessarily bad or something. can anyone elaborate or explain why its gone up since starting keto?

@ominousdusk there is more info at the link posted by @Sunny_Bunny_ but here is the lab summary for three annual labs. Note my massive cholesterol spike in the middle set of labs. I said NO to statins last year and I was fine this year because I was 33 points below where the clinic starts talking about treating for high cholesterol. Hope this helps.

Pre LCHF (two years ago) labs were:
    Total Cholesterol - 226
    HDL - 38
    LDL - 146
    Triglycerides - 209

9 months of LCHF (one year ago) labs were:
    Total Cholesterol - 404
    HDL - 56
    LDL - 323
    Triglycerides - 121

17 months of LCHF (today) labs were:
    Total Cholesterol - 257
    HDL - 63
    LDL - 186
    Triglycerides - 36
  • jassnip
    jassnip Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    If they (your doctors) get whiny about LDL make them check for the cholesterol particle size. If you mostly have the big fluffy ones nothing to worry about. Also you can ask after how much of the cholesterol is manufactured by your body...80% vs. 20 dietary.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Yep, it goes up before it goes down. I'm not doing blood tests at least for a year. (If ever, because let's be honest here - my doctor is stupid).

If I die with this WOE in the meantime... As I always say, at least I died eating delicious food. :lol: (It's not healthy to think this way boys and girls, it means you think you have no purpose in life)