Ideas for Hemp Seeds?

Options
I bought some hemp today. They look LCHF Friendly with 2.9g protein, 2g carbs (all fibre), and 0.7g fat. I was thinking of using them in this recipe http://holisticallyengineered.com/2013/05/instant-cinnamon-oatmeal-low-carb.html instead of the flax. Any other ideas?

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Leanne at healthful pursuit also had a chocolate hemp shake I used a variation of for my breakfast for a while - I used coconut oil instead of hemp oil, as I didn't have it on hand. I made 4 days or so worth at a time. Loved it. Hadn't found any other uses myself, though some said to toast them and use on salad... Looking forward to more suggestions here.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Leanne at healthful pursuit also had a chocolate hemp shake I used a variation of for my breakfast for a while - I used coconut oil instead of hemp oil, as I didn't have it on hand. I made 4 days or so worth at a time. Loved it. Hadn't found any other uses myself, though some said to toast them and use on salad... Looking forward to more suggestions here.

Lol we almost have the same name... Leanne - Leana. :smiley: *feels special*

These are ground seeds, so they may be good for all the things I use flax for tbh, baking, smoothies, porridges ect.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    The brand she uses is Manitoba Hemp Hearts or something - and they have a ton of recipes, though I didn't find any without a more paleo spin...

I have the hearts, and they don't puree super well, but I don't have a ninja or anything, and hemp powder is out of my price range...lol.
  • Shadowmf023
    Options
    The brand she uses is Manitoba Hemp Hearts or something - and they have a ton of recipes, though I didn't find any without a more paleo spin...

I have the hearts, and they don't puree super well, but I don't have a ninja or anything, and hemp powder is out of my price range...lol.

I recently got a coffee grinder and now make my own almond meal, flax meal ect just grinding the seeds. Or sliced almonds. I find it lasts longer that way. The hemp powder I got was super super cheap though. (Might have been a faulty price, if so I got lucky. Lol)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    My coffee grinder gave up the ghost a while back, but might be worth investing in another. I just didn't like how it "pureed" as they're very ... damp ... so more like a nut butter? But my grinder, chopper, food processor, and blender - not of them like processing the hemp hearts...
  • Shadowmf023
    Options
    My coffee grinder gave up the ghost a while back, but might be worth investing in another. I just didn't like how it "pureed" as they're very ... damp ... so more like a nut butter? But my grinder, chopper, food processor, and blender - not of them like processing the hemp hearts...

I pulse mine and shake them about a bit. But yes they are damp and slightly sticky, although I wouldn't call them nut butter. Generally I use them for baking though (the nut flours) so I don't mind the dampness.

I haven't found whole hemp hearts/seeds here, so I can't say the same about them.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I just put 50g of Manitoba Hemp Hearts in a little tupperware container and snack on them (pour them into my mouth and chow down). Very high in fat, very low in net carbs and so buttery awesome, I love them. Also good to top a green salad (I also have toasted garlic ones - really yummy too, but you have to be a serious fan of garlic, as does your SO, lol)
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @Shadowmf023 I'm Liana, lol. A few of us around....
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Here are a couple of recipes you can use hemp seed or hemp hearts in:

HEMP HEART TABOULI SALAD

Servings: 8

130g parsley
    7g fresh mint
    1 & 1/3 cup Hemp Hearts
    21g green onion
    1/3 cup olive oil

SEEDY, EARTHY SOUL BREAD

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/242842604885475465/
  • ladipoet
    edited September 2016
    Options
  • ladipoet
    Options
    SEEDY, EARTHY SOUL BREAD

Makes 16-18 slices

4 eggs
    1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
    1/4 Cup heavy whipping cream
    1 teaspoon of sugar equivalent sweetener
    12 ounces cream cheese, softened
    1/4 Cup butter, melted
    1/3 Cup olive oil
    1 teaspoon xanthan gum
    1/4 cup hemp seeds
    1/4 cup sunflower seeds
    1/8 cup flax seeds of flax meal (your body cannot break down flax seeds so gets no nutritional value from flax unless it is in meal form)
    1-1.5 teaspoon garlic powder
    1.5 - 2 tablespoons dried rosemary or any herbs of your choice (<-- suggest you cut this down to 1 teaspoon - 1/2 tablespoon rosemary as 2 tablespoons was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much!!)
    2.5 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 & 2/3rds Cup unflavored whey protein powder

For instructions just google the name of this recipe.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I am SO making that, @ladipoet thank you for sharing
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I make a weird smoothie:
    avocado
    spinach
    hemp seeds
    water
    and orange flavored zip fizz
    http://www.zipfizz.com/Product-Orange.aspx

it's like a yummy, creamy orange popsicle in liquid form lol.

• Shadowmf023
    Options
    I make a weird smoothie:
    avocado
    spinach
    hemp seeds
    water
    and orange flavored zip fizz
    http://www.zipfizz.com/Product-Orange.aspx

it's like a yummy, creamy orange popsicle in liquid form lol.

That's not weird, I make the same, just with cocoa powder and chia seeds
  • ladipoet
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I make a weird smoothie:
    That's not weird

@Sabine_Stroehm @Shadowmf023 ...ladies, I think the correct term you are looking for here is creative. Repeat after me: "I make a very CREATIVE smoothie!!" lol :)
  • ladipoet
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    I am SO making that, @ladipoet thank you for sharing

Oh no problem @Phrick. Hope you like it. I've only made this particular flavor once recently and I'm still working on eating my way through the batch. Because I used 2 tablespoons of rosemary it is very strong tasting to me (in an unpleasant way due to too much rosemary) so let me know what you think of it if you make it.
  • Shadowmf023
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    I make a weird smoothie:
    That's not weird

@Sabine_Stroehm @Shadowmf023 ...ladies, I think the correct term you are looking for here is creative. Repeat after me: "I make a very CREATIVE smoothie!!" lol :)

Its delicious though. You don't taste the spinach and the avo makes it nice and creamy.
  • ladipoet
    Options
    I make a weird smoothie:
    That's not weird

Its delicious though. You don't taste the spinach and the avo makes it nice and creamy.

I believe you @Shadowmf023 and I swear I was not being facetious!! I meant it as a compliment.
  • Shadowmf023
    Options
    I make a weird smoothie:
    That's not weird

I believe you @Shadowmf023 and I swear I was not being facetious!! I meant it as a compliment.

I know I know. :smiley: A lot of people cringe at green smoothies. My brother is one of them. One day I made one for him, but added some food coloring and poured it into a coloured glass. He drank it, said it was delicious, and then I told him what's in it. Lol :naughty: