help needed please!!!

Options
Im new to this woe and im just wondering if u guys could help me please, in the evenings i seem to be getting dry hot eyes is this related to what im eating and how can i fix it? Plus please feel free to add me as a friend i could do with the support and experience!!! Thanks guys x

Replies

• RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    You can add me if you like. As for your eyes - That didn't happen to me when I started Keto, not to say it didn't for you. Things to think about though:
    • Are you eating anything you've not eaten before or in much larger quantities?
    • Has your environment changed in any way? - New dog or cat?
    • Are you doing something different with your eyes - more computer time, maybe?
    • Think of anything that may have changed that's more specific than just going LCHF and maybe you can isolate something.

• dannie2483
    dannie2483 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Not really the only change is cutting down the carbs i do sometimes suffer from dry eyes in the winter but its just odd its happening now if u know what i mean x
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    dannie2483 wrote: »
    Im new to this woe and im just wondering if u guys could help me please, in the evenings i seem to be getting dry hot eyes is this related to what im eating and how can i fix it? Plus please feel free to add me as a friend i could do with the support and experience!!! Thanks guys x

Hey, @dannie2483 - You might want to set aside a couple hours and look through the LCD Launch Pad, which is a great collection of LC resources assembled by @baconslave and the mods in this forum. It will answer many question you are bound to have as you go through the sometimes-whacky journey into Ketoland!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103966/start-here-the-lcd-launch-pad

Good luck!
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Could it be related to seasonal allergies?
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Ketosis can cause this! @baconslave has had issues with this very thing! Hope you find relief! I believe it can go away too after being in ketosis for a while.
  • dannie2483
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    Ketosis can cause this! @baconslave has had issues with this very thing! Hope you find relief! I believe it can go away too after being in ketosis for a while.
    I hope so, i really think i can stick to this woe and so far it seems to be working for me so i really dont want to give it up!! Xxx
  • dannie2483
    Options
    supergal3 wrote: »
    Could it be related to seasonal allergies?

I dont think so i mean i had hayfever earlier on in the year before i started this but it didnt give me dry eyes xxx
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I have been experiencing this as well, and I have dry eye issues off and on. I am using more eye drops lately. It does seem to be improving so hopefully it will let up soon.
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Ive had dry eye off and on since adopting this WOE. I did some googling and it seems related. I got some otc eye drops that helped but mostly I just try to ignore it.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Dehydration, get more fluids and sodium. Some of us don't retain water like others do and you dump a lot when keto. I wake up with itchy eyes so bad I can only open one at a time for a few seconds each. I got gel eye drops that help.
  • Persephone7676
    Persephone7676 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Refresh Optive Preservative Free works very well.
  • dannie2483
    Options
    Thanks guys i shall head to the chemist!!! Xxx
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get lubricating gel drops. Systane Ultra High Performance are what I use (preservative free). Refresh ones are good as well. I like Systane better. But it's a YMMV. Regular artificial tears won't cut it. They can often even be drying or irritating as well.
    I have what ẃe think is Sjogren's Syndrome (autoimmune, not caused by Keto), so I stay dry all the time no matter how hydrated or how good my electrolytes are... and I get to have chronic fatigue as well...yay, but if I stay in ketosis-land too long, nighttime becomes catastrophic as my eyes become so dry they adhere to my corneas and rip them during the REM cycle. And and my tongue turns white I'm so dry. So I don't do Keto anymore.

Most people aren't as wonky as I am though and have nothing worse than temporary dry eyes. I hope your symptoms subside, OP.
  • dannie2483
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Make sure you get lubricating gel drops. Systane Ultra High Performance are what I use (preservative free). Refresh ones are good as well. I like Systane better. But it's a YMMV. Regular artificial tears won't cut it. They can often even be drying or irritating as well.
    I have what ẃe think is Sjogren's Syndrome (autoimmune, not caused by Keto), so I stay dry all the time no matter how hydrated or how good my electrolytes are... and I get to have chronic fatigue as well...yay, but if I stay in ketosis-land too long, nighttime becomes catastrophic as my eyes become so dry they adhere to my corneas and rip them during the REM cycle. And and my tongue turns white I'm so dry. So I don't do Keto anymore.

Most people aren't as wonky as I am though and have nothing worse than temporary dry eyes. I hope your symptoms subside, OP.
    That must be painful!!! Xxx

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    The thing about eyes is that they dry out just like other parts of our bodies. The main difference is that we don't hesitate to moisturize our skin BUT we overlook doing the same for our eyes. I had/have issued with dry eyes. It got so bad a couple of years ago that my eyes (the whites) would burn and turn pink. Nothing I did helped and it was horrible to experience so I mentioned it during my next appointment with the eye doctor. He recommended the following:

https://www.systane.com/products/systane-ultra-lubricating-eye-drops/

It's one of the best on the market unlike Visine which actually contains ingredients that are known to dry out your eyes! Anyway, I started using Systane Ultra on his recommendation and I haven't looked back since. I keep a bottle by my bed and in my purse and I use this stuff several times a day because DRY EYES NEED TO BE PROPERLY MOISTURIZED TOO! lol I always make sure I have a couple of back-up bottles stocked and ready to re-supply too because, yeah, they make THAT big a difference in MY life! Fwiw, I can usually find this product at Rite-Aid, Sam's and Costco.

I second what @baconslave says here too.
  • baconslave
    Options
    dannie2483 wrote: »

That must be painful!!! Xxx

le sigh...it freaking is. Feels like some angry mini-gnome stabs me in the eye. And it takes about 3 days to heal enough to drive, soreness and blurred vision the whole time (if it's over the pupil.) Over time it can cause scarring which will ruin your vision. I use 3 different products in my eye at night and must reapply just to avoid them. And sometimes I sleep too deeply and miss an application and get a corneal abrasion. Which isn't as bad as an erosion (aka rip...literally separates-rips- the cornea from the eye) but darn-it-all if it doesn't hurt.

ladipoet wrote: »
    The thing about eyes is that they dry out just like other parts of our bodies. The main difference is that we don't hesitate to moisturize our skin BUT we overlook doing the same for our eyes. I had/have issued with dry eyes. It got so bad a couple of years ago that my eyes (the whites) would burn and turn pink. Nothing I did helped and it was horrible to experience so I mentioned it during my next appointment with the eye doctor. He recommended the following:

https://www.systane.com/products/systane-ultra-lubricating-eye-drops/

It's one of the best on the market unlike Visine which actually contains ingredients that are known to dry out your eyes! Anyway, I started using Systane Ultra on his recommendation and I haven't looked back since. I keep a bottle by my bed and in my purse and I use this stuff several times a day because DRY EYES NEED TO BE PROPERLY MOISTURIZED TOO! lol I always make sure I have a couple of back-up bottles stocked and ready to re-supply too because, yeah, they make THAT big a difference in MY life! Fwiw, I can usually find this product at Rite-Aid, Sam's and Costco.

Sometimes Kmart has a good deal on them as well. You can do their store pick-up option. Which reminds me I'm going to need to drive over there before too long as I'm running low. I used Refresh until I tried Systane. Not going back ever.
  • Persephone7676
    Persephone7676 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Nordic natural ultimate omega 3 Fatty Acid will also help for the long term.
  • Riche120
    Riche120 Posts: 154 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I've been battling dry eyes for 30 years now; like you mentioned it is usually worse in the winter, but right now is really bad for some reason. I actually saw the optometrist this morning and she recommended taking extra fish oil to help with the inflammation and dryness. She also prescribed something called Xiidra. It's only been on the market since last year and is similar to Restasis, but without all of the pain, and you see results faster, usually within a few weeks. I'm picking it up tomorrow and can let you know how well it ends up working.
    Editing to add that Systane, like everyone else says, is the best artificial tear drop that I've tried.
  • baconslave
    Options
    I've heard great things about Xiidra, but it is as expensive as Restasis.
    So I won't be finding out about it.
    Restasis did absolutely nothing whatsoever for me to the tune of $425 per 30 day supply. I didn't find fish oil to do much for me either. But some swear by it.

Do let us know how the new drop works for you. There are a lot of Sjogren's people anxiously waiting to try it.

I'm getting ready to try a supplement that has fish oil (with omega 7s too), ALA, and some other tidbits. Crossing my fingers.
  • Cryren8972
    Cryren8972 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    When you go into ketosis, you lose water. Make sure you're getting plenty of water through the day.