help needed please!!!

Options

Replies

• Riche120
    Riche120 Posts: 154 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @baconslave Right now Xiidra is offering the first month free and a huge discount on it through I think it was May. The optometrist said she thought the discount brought the cost down closer to $25 a month. After that I'm sure it will be as bad as Restasis. So I'll see how it works and evaluate the cost vs benefit and if any of it is covered by insurance when the promotional price ends.

I absolutely hated Restasis too, it was evil. It was sooo painful, never did solve the dryness and yes, WAY too expensive!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Restasis never felt like more than a normal eyedrop to me. It didn't feel like anything and did nothing. My deductible is so ridiculous that a full year of its undiscounted price still won't meet the deductible. :sweat: Insurance won't pay a dime until that's met. So much nonsense...
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    StacyChrz wrote: »
    I have been experiencing this as well, and I have dry eye issues off and on. I am using more eye drops lately. It does seem to be improving so hopefully it will let up soon.

Me, too. I thought perhaps my c-pap was blowing on my eyes at night, but I'm also using drops every hour or two during the day. At night, I will put drops in if I wake up just for comfort. Didn't realize it might have something to do with keto.

Edit: I also use Systane drops only.
  • Persephone7676
    Persephone7676 Posts: 91 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Restasis takes several months to work. Xiidra is super expensive too and it can be VERY uncomfortable to instill. Some of my colleagues said it was just plain painful. There's been success with low doses of doxycycline (typically 100 mg each day). It inhibits chemical mediators that cause dry eye and Sjogrens .
  • Brigit723
    Brigit723 Posts: 58 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Make sure you get lubricating gel drops. Systane Ultra High Performance are what I use (preservative free). Refresh ones are good as well. I like Systane better. But it's a YMMV. Regular artificial tears won't cut it. They can often even be drying or irritating as well.
    I have what ẃe think is Sjogren's Syndrome (autoimmune, not caused by Keto), so I stay dry all the time no matter how hydrated or how good my electrolytes are... and I get to have chronic fatigue as well...yay, but if I stay in ketosis-land too long, nighttime becomes catastrophic as my eyes become so dry they adhere to my corneas and rip them during the REM cycle. And and my tongue turns white I'm so dry. So I don't do Keto anymore.

Most people aren't as wonky as I am though and have nothing worse than temporary dry eyes. I hope your symptoms subside, OP.

@baconslave Has your eye doctor ever suggested tear duct implants? I don't have Sjogren's but I have enough similar symptoms that they tested me for it repeatedly. The dryness is an issue for me too. I used to have (haven't been able to afford them thanks to federal insurance changes) silicone implants put in my tear ducts every 6mos. Painless, in office treatment, helps your eyes hold onto the moisture they do produce. Made a huge difference, especially when combined with Restasis.
  • Brigit723
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Restasis never felt like more than a normal eyedrop to me. It didn't feel like anything and did nothing. My deductible is so ridiculous that a full year of its undiscounted price still won't meet the deductible. :sweat: Insurance won't pay a dime until that's met. So much nonsense...

Check with the manufacturer, they have their own discount program (or, at least they did a couple years ago) so maybe other brands do the same. Restasis did nothing for me until I passed the 6mos. mark on it :(
  • baconslave
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Brigit723 wrote: »

Check with the manufacturer, they have their own discount program (or, at least they did a couple years ago) so maybe other brands do the same. Restasis did nothing for me until I passed the 6mos. mark on it :(

Their discount gives me $20 off of $425/month. :neutral:
  • baconslave
    Options
    Make sure you get lubricating gel drops. Systane Ultra High Performance are what I use (preservative free). Refresh ones are good as well. I like Systane better. But it's a YMMV. Regular artificial tears won't cut it. They can often even be drying or irritating as well.
    I have what ẃe think is Sjogren's Syndrome (autoimmune, not caused by Keto), so I stay dry all the time no matter how hydrated or how good my electrolytes are... and I get to have chronic fatigue as well...yay, but if I stay in ketosis-land too long, nighttime becomes catastrophic as my eyes become so dry they adhere to my corneas and rip them during the REM cycle. And and my tongue turns white I'm so dry. So I don't do Keto anymore.

Most people aren't as wonky as I am though and have nothing worse than temporary dry eyes. I hope your symptoms subside, OP.

@baconslave Has your eye doctor ever suggested tear duct implants? I don't have Sjogren's but I have enough similar symptoms that they tested me for it repeatedly. The dryness is an issue for me too. I used to have (haven't been able to afford them thanks to federal insurance changes) silicone implants put in my tear ducts every 6mos. Painless, in office treatment, helps your eyes hold onto the moisture they do produce. Made a huge difference, especially when combined with Restasis.

I have punctual plugs. They don't work either unfortunately. I'm pretty much SOL.

But thanks for the thoughts :smile:
  • Riche120
    Options
    The punctal plugs didn't help me either. Here's to hoping the Xiidra works better than the other things out there.....
  • dannie2483
    dannie2483 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just to let u all know my dry eyes seem to have calmed down and nothing like what i was experiencing i think it was due to being dehydrated, thanks guys for all ur help xxx
  • baconslave
    Options
    dannie2483 wrote: »
    Just to let u all know my dry eyes seem to have calmed down and nothing like what i was experiencing i think it was due to being dehydrated, thanks guys for all ur help xxx

So glad to hear! :heart:

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Glad yours has resolved @dannie2483 !
  • dannie2483
    dannie2483 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Karlottap xx
  • Brigit723
    Options

I have punctual plugs. They don't work either unfortunately. I'm pretty much SOL.

But thanks for the thoughts :smile:

Aww, man, that sucks. :( I hope they come up with a solution for you soon!
  • 1Kristana
    1Kristana Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just thought I'd throw this out there, something that's been helping my Mom w/ dry eyes recently, Tear Support with MaquiBright from Life Extension. I think it's only 1 pill a day under $20 a month. She says it helps:)
  • Riche120
    Options
    1Kristana wrote: »
    I just thought I'd throw this out there, something that's been helping my Mom w/ dry eyes recently, Tear Support with MaquiBright from Life Extension. I think it's only 1 pill a day under $20 a month. She says it helps:)

Thanks for the info... will check it out.
  • baconslave
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'm trying a product called MaxiTears. It's $27/month. It's 4 pills a day. They're pretty big. We'll see how it works...
    It has Cod Liver Oil, Borage Oil, Fish Oil, Flax Seed Oil, Turmeric, VitA, D3, Mucin, and etc.
    Crossing my fingers. I'll let you all know mid-Oct if there's any improvement.
  • Riche120
    Options
    Well, its been almost a month with the Xiidra and so far my eyes are a bit more sore and red than usual. I just called to check on the refill so that I could give it a few months to give it a fair review since they did say it takes up to 3 months for full results. They were advertising as low as $25 a month refills through May, unfortunately that $25 didn't apply to me and the copay on the refill is $230 a month.

I can't bring myself to pay that much for an eye drop that is making my eyes even less comfortable, so my incomplete review is that they aren't going to work out for me. Hopefully others have better luck AND better insurance coverage.
  • Riche120
    edited October 2016
    Options
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Yeesh! Feel bad for all the dry eyes people. My biggest problem that way is the corners of my finger crack deeply when I am quite low carb no matter how much fat I get or how much I moisturize my skin. And I have a strange sleep cycle due to fibromyalgia (too much alpha wave sleep) that cause me to sleep with my eyelids partly open (I look like a scary night creepy, I'm sure) which makes them red & dry when I wake up. Krazy glue works temporarily for the finger cracks, but sure as h3ll wouldn't work for the eyes :o .