You workout gurus...I need advice

Options
Cryren8972
Cryren8972 Posts: 142 Member
I have researched this, and keep getting conflicting information.
I've been working out heavily in the gym, and realize that I need something on my stomach before going in to avoid a crash.
Would bone broth be better, or a high quality protein shake?
I would do one before and one after...I'm just not sure which to do when.
Thank you! =)

Replies

• Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Everyone is a little different. I have tried working out fasted and it always just makes me sick. Personally, I'd recommend a solid meal hitting all of your normal macros, about 90 minutes before hitting the gym. For me, that usually involves a double scoop low-carb protein shake, my multivitamins, and whatever PWO I put down. On my refeed days, it ends up being some broken up taco shells, refried beans, and chicken breast. I'll then repeat about 90-120 minutes after the workout.

ETA: for sodium and potassium to see me through, I mix 1 tsp. Lite salt and 0.5 tsp. regular iodized into my PWOs (I take two, one stim and one non).
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

>:) Summon the devil, and he shall soon appear. :lol:

And subbing to hear the answer. I've been having issues with energy during my strength training. I can't be sure it isn't due to the autoimmune-stupidity-chronic-fatigue my body likes to do these days, but stacking the deck in my favor can't hurt. Lifting my kettlebell is harder than it should be. I feel like I don't have enough gas in the tank. I make it through. But I'm wiped. No-likey.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I'm not a guru. I wouldn't expect bone broth to have enough calories to prevent a crash, but that will very much depend on how you are making it and how much of it you are consuming. I do most of my workouts fasted, but on the rare occasion where this starts making me feel terribly I usually go for eggs or cheese to bring me back to feeling ok - I'm 40 and around 150 lbs, I find I need 100-150 calories to balance me back out if I start to crash and I try to eat something that isn't going to take up too much room in my stomach and has a good balance of protein/carbs/fat, if you are bigger then you may need a larger quantity. The research is less relevant than your actual experience, so maybe try both and see which works best for you...keep in mind that your actual workout for that particular day may impact which one works best for that particular workout.
  • Cryren8972
    Options
    Thanks! I have been coming home and drinking the shakes which has almost entirely eliminated soreness the next day, but was always exhausted when I got home.
    Today, I will drink the shake before, and let you all know what happens. Fingers crossed that the uric acid levels stay low with a "pre-shake", and that I still have a LITTLE energy left after the workout.
    Thank you again, so much for the advice.

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    @baconslave - licorice root will help relieve symptoms of chronic fatigue, adrenal fatigue, and autoimmune conditions.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    >:) Summon the devil, and he shall soon appear. :lol:

:tongue:
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    In my whole 2 days of lifting experience I just had my normal coffee with MCT oil. I felt plenty of energy but I have nothing to compare it against of course. I also felt good energy afterward. I'm crazy sore but Im going from no activity to lifting... so... imma stop cryin about it! :wink:
    If you wanted to have bone broth but think more calories might be better maybe consider adding MCT.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Try out more electrolytes, especially Sodium ? l usually train fasted and without enough salt, I feel "weak". YMMV and GL :)
  • Cryren8972
    Options
    In my whole 2 days of lifting experience I just had my normal coffee with MCT oil. I felt plenty of energy but I have nothing to compare it against of course. I also felt good energy afterward. I'm crazy sore but Im going from no activity to lifting... so... imma stop cryin about it! :wink:
    If you wanted to have bone broth but think more calories might be better maybe consider adding MCT.

I was rocking and rolling my first week too. The fatigue didn't set in until about week 4.
  • Cryren8972
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    Try out more electrolytes, especially Sodium ? l usually train fasted and without enough salt, I feel "weak". YMMV and GL :)

I get some sodium in the bone broth. Right now I feel great! I had the protein shake, worked out for a little over an hour and a half, and just finished some bone broth with chicken breast, spinach, and an egg thrown in,....served with a side of mixed greens and blue cheese.
    I make my own bone broth, and add Better than Bouillon for extra sodium and flavor.
    I've had to up my protein too.
  • Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    When I need a kick I usually have an adkins bar and some Mio Sport with electrolytes...but i typically work out in the evening after the kids go to bed so I usually still have my dinner rolling around in there to draw from :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Cryren8972 wrote: »

I was rocking and rolling my first week too. The fatigue didn't set in until about week 4.

Good to know.