Your thoughts on this article: low-carb or keto diet results in more fat cells

Options
huango
huango Posts: 1,007 Member
Your thoughts on this old article (Oct 17, 2014)?

http://www.artenediana.com/en/dukan-diet-simplest-way-gain-fat/

If I read this article correctly, it seems to say that:
- low-carb or keto diet results in more fat cells, so when you do add carbs back into your diet, you gain weight faster because there's more fat cells to fill up.

I'm on Day 12 of the Dukan Diet, mainly because I have problems with self-control when it comes to carbs.
If I eat a little sugary/starchy carbs, I want more and more of it.
So I decided to try Dukan Diet (which allows veggies and oat bran) to lose 20# and to get off of my carbs-addiction.

Also looking for Dukan Diet buddy.

Thanks,
Amanda

Replies

• AshStout83
    AshStout83 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I sure hope it's not true.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I think it's pure conjecture. I wouldn't let it sway you, given that 90% of ALL dieters, regardless of approach gain the weight back.

That said, the Dukan diet has a notoriously high recidivism rate (if I can use that word). I don't know exactly why, perhaps because it's so rigid.

Also, keep in mind, Atkins and other low carb diets allow for (REQUIRE vegetables). South Beach (not really a low carb diet) requires vegetables and allows fruit and whole grains.

Many low carbers here (most?) eat plenty of vegetables.

My point: if you start feeling alone on dukan, and/or start thinking it's not possible there are other options among formal diets.

Good luck regardless! And you've found a good community here.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    90% of ALL dieters, regardless of approach gain the weight back.

Agreed. And would add that leptin/grehlin research seems to be on the increase now and my guess is that it will ultimately be shown that those hormones are "thrown out of whack" for every sort of sustained and rapid weight loss and the "diet plan" is irrelevant.

• kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    @huango I can't speak for anyone else, but my white carb and sugar addiction is what brought me to T2D and heart disease. Any attempt to kick the habit is a great first step and, if you read the medical information and studies on the low carb lifestyle, you will find a wide RANGE of low carb lifestyles that work for different individuals. We are each unique in ways that makes a single approach to recovery and wellness and weight loss inappropriate. In fact, a single approach for each person is a rarity, as we all tweak and change and experiment with what works for our own singular bodies. Good Luck!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Even if the article was remotely correct it does not concern me since I have no plans of filling my fat cells with fat ever again. I react very badly for weeks from one carb loading event.

I had a birthday lunch to attend today. They had a guacamole salad that was only guacamole, cheese, tomato and cheese. It was awesome with water to drink. I will eat it again if I wind up at that Mexican restaurant again.

Where there is a way there is a will or the other way around. :)
    I had eaten a LCHF breakfast late in case I had to only drink water.
  • Midnightgypsy0
    Midnightgypsy0 Posts: 177 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I don't know if I will ever lose the 50 pounds I'm carrying around. But I do know that I will always be limiting my carbs.
    Feel a lot better.

I'm under 75 every day and try to stay around 20.
    GF loves to cook starches so I end up high whenever she cooks. (Or have an angry girlfriend because I wouldn't eat her cooking. And that is harder to deal with than that 50 pounds. Lol)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Dukan is an extremely protein heavy diet. Given the large insulin spikes caused by whey this doesn't shock me at all. When the stuff gets mobilized it has two options; go for muscle repair or get stored as fat. Guess where it goes if you don't have muscular damage that needs repaired. All the more reason to leave the high-pro diets to people who are wrecking their bodies all of the time. ;) Though, the slower proteins (casien and egg) don't cause much of a spike at all.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,753 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    huango wrote: »
    Your thoughts on this old article (Oct 17, 2014)?

http://www.artenediana.com/en/dukan-diet-simplest-way-gain-fat/

If I read this article correctly, it seems to say that:
    - low-carb or keto diet results in more fat cells, so when you do add carbs back into your diet, you gain weight faster because there's more fat cells to fill up.

I'm on Day 12 of the Dukan Diet, mainly because I have problems with self-control when it comes to carbs.
    If I eat a little sugary/starchy carbs, I want more and more of it.
    So I decided to try Dukan Diet (which allows veggies and oat bran) to lose 20# and to get off of my carbs-addiction.

Also looking for Dukan Diet buddy.

Thanks,
    Amanda

This is pretty informative info about fat cells, turns out you can grow them, they can die off, etc. Kinda like any other cell in your body, since they are cells. Fat cells just do a great job fulfilling their function of storing fat.

http://news.health.ufl.edu/2011/15154/multimedia/health-in-a-heartbeat/adults-can-grow-new-fat-cells-after-all-study-shows/

Personally I eat a lot of green veggies and cauliflower etc., a moderate amount of protein, and high fat, started Atkins recently since that is how they eat after the induction weeks.

Dukan is pretty protein heavy if you are over eating protein your breath will tell everyone around you (keto breath), and you should cut back a bit on it. Otherwise go for it. The best diet is the one you can follow for long term.
  • huango
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Thank you for your inputs.

I just read retirehappy's link.
    While I'm not diabetic, I'll keep it in mind for my husband (it runs in his family).

"The best diet is the one you can follow for long term."
    It's only Day14 of the Dukan, but wow, it's been the easiest and best diet I've ever been on, and I've been on many.

>>>>>>The best part is my lack of cravings for carbs.

I made meatball subs for my husband and kids for dinner. Not one bite of the delicious smelling bread. I thought about it, but didn't need to give into my thought.
    That's what it was: a thought. Not a craving or mad need that made me feel deprived when I didn't eat.

When I don't crave carbs, I'm not reaching for crap from my 3 pantries.

But the test will be tonight at my BBQ.
    While I'm making smoked salmon and ribs and big bowl of salad (arugula/tomato/cuc/chicken breast), my guests are bringing tons of goodies.
    Let's see how I do.

Thanks,
    Amanda
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    huango wrote: »
    Thank you for your inputs.

I just read retirehappy's link.
    While I'm not diabetic, I'll keep it in mind for my husband (it runs in his family).

"The best diet is the one you can follow for long term."
    It's only Day14 of the Dukan, but wow, it's been the easiest and best diet I've ever been on, and I've been on many.

>>>>>>The best part is my lack of cravings for carbs.

I made meatball subs for my husband and kids for dinner. Not one bite of the delicious smelling bread. I thought about it, but didn't need to give into my thought.
    That's what it was: a thought. Not a craving or mad need that made me feel deprived when I didn't eat.

When I don't crave carbs, I'm not reaching for crap from my 3 pantries.

But the test will be tonight at my BBQ.
    While I'm making smoked salmon and ribs and big bowl of salad (arugula/tomato/cuc/chicken breast), my guests are bringing tons of goodies.
    Let's see how I do.

Thanks,
    Amanda

Personally, just from the ribs alone, I'd be able to easily ignore everything else.
  • huango
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Personally, just from the ribs alone, I'd be able to easily ignore everything else.

Just for you:
    11696466_10207385723267218_5701860111515602808_o.jpg

But we are pretty famous for our smoked salmon also:
    13568949_10210169553101224_6551162826188799568_o.jpg
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    "The problem with the Dukan diet, or with any ketogenic diet for that matter, is not if you will fall off, but when."

I have to take exception to the above statement. We refer to our "WOE" (Way of Eating), not our "diet," for a reason. Diets are temporary, and yes, if/when you stop the "diet" and go back to your old eating habits, of course you end up regaining the weight you lost, and often much more. But once you adopt a low-carb WOE, it really isn't that difficult to maintain long term.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    MyriiStorm wrote: »
    "The problem with the Dukan diet, or with any ketogenic diet for that matter, is not if you will fall off, but when."

I have to take exception to the above statement. We refer to our "WOE" (Way of Eating), not our "diet," for a reason. Diets are temporary, and yes, if/when you stop the "diet" and go back to your old eating habits, of course you end up regaining the weight you lost, and often much more. But once you adapt a low-carb WOE, it really isn't that difficult to maintain long term.

This is so true. I see no reason to ever go back to how I ate before. Maybe I am the exception to the rule, but I always looked at carbs as a filler or something I was supposed to eat because of how the food pyramid was drilled into my head. After realizing there is no need for them, I see no point in eating them. There are only a handful of carby foods I actually really liked. This is a woe, not a diet.