Step-It-Up September Week 3 (9/15-9/21)

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
Welcome to our September monthly challenge! Week 3.
Re-hash o' the challenge parameters:
This month we're doing "Step-It-Up"
increase the amount, speed, or intensity of something.
So we are going to focus on a goal we've let slack a bit. Some people might go literal and try to increase step count (walking) or ramp up exercise frequency or intensity. Or maybe someone has been letting good habits slide a little bit.

Choose whatever it is in your life that requires you to "step up" your effort to improve your health and/or fitness.

Every week we'll have a thread to talk about our goals, progress, life stuff, and to encourage one another.
Go ahead and post your goal for this month.
I'll plop a stickie at the top of the group for easy access should the thread get buried.

This is your challenge.
The bad news is: You are the ONLY one who can make positive changes happen in your life.
The good news? YOU are the only one who CAN make positive changes happen in your life. You have that power. Believe it.
And make it happen.

Get to steppin'! :wink:

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

courage-is-not-having-the-strength-to-go-on-it-is-going-on-when-you-dont-have-the-strength-quote-1.jpg

Remember this when life-crap rears up to get you down. Don't let life derail you. Be COURAGEOUS. You've got this. :wink:
  • Cyndi146
    Cyndi146 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Well, I was gonna stick to 11,000/day since I batted less than .500 last week but your post has inspired me to step it up again @baconslave!

Week 3 goal >12,000/day
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Just got back from my block walk. It's actually 1.5 miles around the work quad. All sweaty at my desk but feeling like I did something positive for the day. Got my kippers for lunch today.
    None of my clothes fit again. It's back to work...
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I need to branch out my meal planning. I've been having the same meals since I started last Tuesday. My long suffering family hasn't complained, but I think we need to branch out from chicken, salad and broccoli for dinner.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    1.No activity minutes today. Body is screaming for rest after 5 dance nights this week.
    2.10-6.8lbs=3.2lbs to goal.
    3. Basic plank/ not today.

Feeling like my weight goal for the month is reachable. I'm in a happy mood, even if tired from too much fun.
    All good for today.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @collegefbfan : you asked in the week 2 thread: "I just looked at my steps on my phone. Over 10,000 steps for me. I didn't know. Wow. How do steps equate to calories burned because I am just walking at work and around the house or store, not really getting heart rate up? Is there a better app for steps and calories burned? Thanks"

What app do you use?
    I have walklogger (free app) on my android. It seems pretty accurate for distance (has gps) and shows calories burned that seem more reasonably (low) compared to other apps.

I don't really use walklogger (but keep it running on the phone) but I use Runkeeper. Runkeeper is a free app for designated walks/runs. It has a start/stop. Also has pause/resume. Shows, speed, pace, elevation changes, splits, a map view etc.

Since when I start Runkeeper, both apps are running and both are gps, they compare well. Today's walk reflected 5.08 miles on Runkeeper and 5.1 miles on walklogger. The difference is the couple steps I took with phone in hand before I started Runkeeper and the walking around I did in the store that registered on walklogger but not Runkeeper because I had Runkeeper on pause.

General walking around during daily activity is usually considered part of your TDEE (I beleive Miss Samantha indicated the same). It does however still burn calories so you could set your level of activity in MFP as sedentary then enter under mfp exercise (walking) the # of calories indicated by walklogger. That works well if the amount of walking you do daily varies and you don't engage in much other activity.

Walklogger does not sync with MFP. Runkeeper does but the speed of walk doesn't transfer correctly. I don't have mfp and Runkeeper syncronized for that reason. Besides, I only enter 1 calorie burned regardless of what I do for my designated exercise. Anything other than 1 messes with my macro #s by increasing them and I don't eat back calories bured anyway.

Hope that helped you or someone else. I find both walklogger and Runkeeper accurate regarding distance. Just plug in stats including stride/step length.

ETA: now that I think about it walklogger must not be GPS. I have sensitivity set to 4. It does not show steps if I'm in the car or on a bike like some step trackers do.
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Week 3 may not happen for me :( I'm being treated for an infection and have been put on bed rest. I did my 1/2 hour walk today while feeling miserable...just got home from Urgent Care. I'll resume when I'm feeling better.
  • collegefbfan
    collegefbfan Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    @kpk54 Very much appreciated. Great to be a part of this group!!!
  • sherrirollins4
    sherrirollins4 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    toadqueen wrote: »
    Week 3 may not happen for me :( I'm being treated for an infection and have been put on bed rest. I did my 1/2 hour walk today while feeling miserable...just got home from Urgent Care. I'll resume when I'm feeling better.

Oh no! Get well soon!
  • sherrirollins4
    sherrirollins4 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    11,600 steps today! Day 2 of IF. It's really going well! I still need to get closer to drinking 100 oz of water. Not there yet but I'm working on it!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Cals under
    Carbs: 38gm net
    Exercise: 1 hr swim practice (my last of three private lessons is tomorrow), plus I think right now I'm just under 10k steps, though my Fitbit's refused to sync for the past hour so I'm not sure.

This challenge has been great! Still feeling good about being back on track and keto-happy. :) If only I can get my insomnia sorted out again, I'll be good!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Also, I just realized that I need to start training for the Thanksgiving 5K! I have barely run lately since I've been focusing on learning to swim laps for reals and getting back to doing my PT exercises. Not sure how I'm going to juggle the 3 but I'll figure something out. I'd like to run 3x/wk. Maybe for now I'll also swim once a week and strength train twice?
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I totally bombed week 2. Got a cold, and only made 2 of my planned 5 workouts (the two times I met with my trainer- if not for her, I would've blown those two off also).

This is a new week, though. Breathing much better, and even managed a little cardio before training today. Also started Whole30, which I am completely stoked about. Can't believe September is really half over already!

On the plus side, planks with my trainer are getting much easier. Now if I could just get the hang of those side planks...
  • eneild
    eneild Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    9/15
    17,013 steps (15,000 step goal)
    Food measured/weighed✅

Finished my work week today-feels great! Rainy evening so settled in with a cup of tea, pajamas, a pumpkin pecan candle burning, and the season premier of Project Runway!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    toadqueen wrote: »

Sounds miserable! Listen to and rest your body that is more important than completing the challenge for sure. Sending hugs and healing your way!
  • Phrick
    edited September 2016
    Options
    So Week Three, huh. That means goal of 8500 steps/day, which I'm happy to report that I exceeded yesterday 9/14. Unfortunately I have to have some nasty dental work done on Wednesday so I will probably not complete the week in full, but I'm going to do my best to exceed the 8500 (heck, to exceed 10k) all the days I can to "make up" for the days I'll be out of commission.

*kitten* I hate the dentist.

m5wmo76wg3oh.jpg
  • Phrick
    Options
    oops that was for 9/15. d'oh!
  • frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Morning All!

13,500 steps yesterday. 60 min active. Taking it easy today. Been having sleeping issues. Last night took an Advil PM and slept 8.5 hours only awake and restless once for a short time. Feel much better today. Going to grap as many steps at work as possible. Depending on what time I get home, maybe a short walk. I have really outdone myself this week and I am shocked by that. Really has me motivated. A lighter day today for a little recovery.....